Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Transitions breaking video/audio link in PD18
Jenny286 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Oct 12, 2017 20:01 Messages: 14 Offline
[Post New]
Hello, I have jsut switched to PD 18 and I'm having trouble with transitions. When I do a fade between clips, the old version would automatically add an audio transition to match. In 18, it's breaking the link between the video and audio. I'm wondering if anyone else has encountered this or perhaps has any ideas of how to fix it. Thanks
JL_JL [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Arizona, USA Joined: Oct 01, 2006 20:01 Messages: 6091 Offline
[Post New]
In pref > Editing, change transition type to overlap and reapply a transition and see if that's the behavior you had previously.

Jeff
Jenny286 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote In pref > Editing, change transition type to overlap and reapply a transition and see if that's the behavior you had previously.

Jeff

Hi Jeff,
Thanks for your reply. I double checked and it's already set to overlap. What's weird is that every once in a while a transition will work, but most of the time they split the video from the audio and mess up the project. It's tedious to fix.
JL_JL [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Arizona, USA Joined: Oct 01, 2006 20:01 Messages: 6091 Offline
[Post New]
Post a picture of your timeline next time it happens. It almost sounds like you are applying a transition when the video and audio have become unlinked and that can cause a mess with timing. Is it truly the transition that's unlinking video and audio or are they unlinked prior? Just do a Ctrl Z after it happens and post that pic too so we can see the timeline locally.

It would be a big miss if we are back to randomly unlinking video and audio which plagued a previous version.

Jeff
Jenny286 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote Post a picture of your timeline next time it happens. It almost sounds like you are applying a transition when the video and audio have become unlinked and that can cause a mess with timing. Is it truly the transition that's unlinking video and audio or are they unlinked prior? Just do a Ctrl Z after it happens and post that pic too so we can see the timeline locally.

It would be a big miss if we are back to randomly unlinking video and audio which plagued a previous version.

Jeff

Jeff, I'll do that. They defintely aren't unlinked beforehand, but they end up that way. I can grab the audio and re-align it, but then if I make any other changes it messes up everything after it and I'm doing it all over again. I use quite a few video clips and photos in a project, so it gets messy. I'll try to post a pic tomorrow.

Thanks, Jenny
Jenny286 [Avatar]
[Post New]

Jeff, I'll do that. They defintely aren't unlinked beforehand, but they end up that way. I can grab the audio and re-align it, but then if I make any other changes it messes up everything after it and I'm doing it all over again. I use quite a few video clips and photos in a project, so it gets messy. I'll try to post a pic tomorrow.

Thanks, Jenny

Jeff, here is a picture of when it happened:
(I had just added the fade on the left.)

Here is a picture after Ctrl-Z:

Thanks for working on this.
Jenny
Peter Podder
Member Location: Long Island, N.Y. Joined: Dec 03, 2016 16:13 Messages: 116 Offline
[Post New]
Does the same happen if you drag clip 2 over clip 1 and choose crossfade ?

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Oct 11. 2019 14:32

Dell Precision M4700 i7-3840QM 2.80 GHz
16gb ram , NVIDIA Quadro K2000M GPU
Samsung 850 EVO 1tb SSD , 500 gb HDD ,

Jenny286 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote Does the same happen if you drag clip 2 over clip 1 and choose crossfade ?

Peter, No. That's how I've been getting around it. (It also doesn't do it every time.) The trouble is, I have a lot of parts in my projects and when I go back to make an adjustment and need to move several videos/photos together to keep the other transitions intact, I can't use that option (it doesn't give the option to crossfade then).
Jenny
Peter Podder
Member Location: Long Island, N.Y. Joined: Dec 03, 2016 16:13 Messages: 116 Offline
[Post New]
"Understood. At least for new projects you know how to work around it. I find myself doing more of what I suggested out of habit now. I leared my lesson on a few projects early on. Over time I have tried to apply different cuts between clips rather than transitions. But my videos are generally less than 5 minutes total. "

Peter, No. That's how I've been getting around it. (It also doesn't do it every time.) The trouble is, I have a lot of parts in my projects and when I go back to make an adjustment and need to move several videos/photos together to keep the other transitions intact, I can't use that option (it doesn't give the option to crossfade then).
Jenny

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Oct 12. 2019 09:22

Dell Precision M4700 i7-3840QM 2.80 GHz
16gb ram , NVIDIA Quadro K2000M GPU
Samsung 850 EVO 1tb SSD , 500 gb HDD ,

PowerDirector Moderator [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: New Taipei City, Taiwan Joined: Oct 18, 2016 00:25 Messages: 2104 Offline
[Post New]
Quote Hello, I have jsut switched to PD 18 and I'm having trouble with transitions. When I do a fade between clips, the old version would automatically add an audio transition to match. In 18, it's breaking the link between the video and audio. I'm wondering if anyone else has encountered this or perhaps has any ideas of how to fix it. Thanks

Hi,
Can you post the version of PDR - perpetual, 365, version number Etc. And also the details of clips that are affected - use mediainfo.

Are these new projects having the issue or existing ones opened in PDR18?

No similar issue has been raised in the forum for PDR18, so the more information you can give the better.

Cheers
PoweDirector Moderator

For customer support related issues, please contact:
- Customer service: https://membership.cyberlink.com/support/customer-services.do
- Technical support: https://membership.cyberlink.com/support/service/technical-support.do
Jenny286 [Avatar]
[Post New]

Hi,
Can you post the version of PDR - perpetual, 365, version number Etc. And also the details of clips that are affected - use mediainfo.

Are these new projects having the issue or existing ones opened in PDR18?

No similar issue has been raised in the forum for PDR18, so the more information you can give the better.

Cheers
PoweDirector Moderator

Okay. It's PD18 365, version 18.0.2028.0 (64 bit)
The affected videos are H.264 AVC
1920x1080, 59.94 fps, High Profile, Progressive
bit rates from 35-50 mbps

I have jpgs in the timeline as well. The resolution for them is 4800x2700, 24 bit.

This is happening in new projects that were built in this version. I just opened a project I built in PD16 (which was not a 365) and edited it a little and it did it also. I deleted a video and then moved the videos/photos up (earlier) in the timeline and applied a fade from a video to a jpg. It broke the audio/video link for the clips further down the timeline. That is happening in 18 as well - it doesn't just break the video/audio on the piece you just transitioned, but all the ones further down.

My projects are often complex and up to 40 minutes in case that's a factor. Also, this is a new computer and a new install of PD. The computer is a 12 core Xeon workstation with ECC memory. I currently do not have my Nvidia graphics card enabled.

We have a second computer running PD18 365 also with our other license that we just updated. That computer is also doing it. (It did not do it in earlier versions of PD18 365. It just started when we updated it the other day.) The user said that when he updated it, it didn't maintain some preferences, but he thinks he set it back to how it was before. That computer is an 8 core non-ECC with a 980 gpu enabled.

Hope this helps.
Jenny
Senior Contributor Location: New Taipei City, Taiwan Joined: Oct 18, 2016 00:25 Messages: 2104 Offline
[Post New]
Thanks,
I am away from my PDR18 system at present, so I can't help directly. I have asked CL to have a look, but that will not be until after the weekend I'm afraid.

Cheers
PowerDirector Moderator

- Customer service: https://membership.cyberlink.com/support/customer-services.do
- Technical support: https://membership.cyberlink.com/support/service/technical-support.do
JL_JL [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote We have a second computer running PD18 365 also with our other license that we just updated. That computer is also doing it. (It did not do it in earlier versions of PD18 365. It just started when we updated it the other day.) The user said that when he updated it, it didn't maintain some preferences, but he thinks he set it back to how it was before. That computer is an 8 core non-ECC with a 980 gpu enabled.

Jenny286, your pics posted, especially the Ctrl z after the event occurred, clearly show it's got to be a serious bug.

I believe there is only one version of PD18, or at least that has been announced, so a little puzzled by your statement of it working fine prior to a PD18 update.

I've tried to replicate with several clips of mine and have been unsuccessful. As such, it may be beneficial to pack your project if you can and post the link to the drive share. If multiple users can replicate the same issue playing with your project that the issue occurs for you, maybe it will provide more traction for CL support.

Jeff
Jenny286 [Avatar]
[Post New]
After the weekend is fine. I was able to manually move the audio back into place on the clips and don't need to work on anything major for a few days.

Jeff - Sorry, I meant that the problem never happened in PD 16, which was what I used before. I am now using PD 18 in the same fashion but I'm having this new problem.

Also, please note that it doesn't always happen. Sometimes I can put transitions in and it works normally. Then it will start happening again and again. It's inconsistent. It is most frustrating when you go back to the earlier part of a complicated timeline and need to make an adjustment. (That is an unavoidable part of my editing process.) I made some changes early in a timeline and then when I put in a transition it unlinked the audio in all the clips further down the timeline. It's not that they can't be moved back again, but it's messy and will probably mean more errors that I won't catch until I proof a final project.

I can post more pictures next week if that would help.

Jenny
Jenny286 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Is there any new information? I haven't heard anything about a fix. My co-worker updated to 18.0.2204.0 last night. We were hoping it would fix the problem, but it just happened in his project.

Thanks, Jenny
JL_JL [Avatar]
[Post New]
Jenny286. in an attempt to replicate I wrote a macro that added and removed the basic fade transition alternately at two different spots on the time and after 100 repeats it never had a unlinked clip with my platform and video clips.

Very definite from your posted pics that it occurs for you and this was a prior major intermittent problem so the best I can suggest is what I echoed prior, it may be beneficial to pack your project if you can and post the link to the drive share to see if others can replicate to gain some traction.

Jeff
[Post New]
Quote Is there any new information? I haven't heard anything about a fix. My co-worker updated to 18.0.2204.0 last night. We were hoping it would fix the problem, but it just happened in his project.

Thanks, Jenny

Hello Jenny,

You need to submit an inquiry to technical support to get this properly looked at and addressed. No other user has reported this issue on the forum and CL also did find any similar reports.

https://membership.cyberlink.com/support/service/technical-support.do

In your inquiry, be sure to include your DXDiag.txt file (which you should also post in this thread) and also, as Jeff mentioned, a link to a cloud drive where you can share a project with some of your video files this is happening with. Make sure it is a project BEFORE the transition is inserted.

Once submitted, respond with your ticket ID so we can pass it along.

Cheers
PowerDirector Moderator

This message was edited 3 times. Last update was at Oct 25. 2019 04:34