Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Background music (again)
ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Hi all -

This is the sequel to the previous thread about PDR's background music on YouTube.

The most recently released music collection for PDR365 (subscription) is Suspense.

TessTing has tried out the 10 tracks on YouTube & NONE of them were flagged for copyright... hardly surprising, as most of the music is unmelodic & unrecognisable.

Cheers - Tony

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Oct 10. 2019 17:39

Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!
ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
There are 10 tracks in the Holiday Jingles background music pack.TessTing has put them all on YouTube to check the copyright triggers...

Not a single track was flagged. Zero. None at all.

Cheers - Tony
Terry61 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Dec 31, 2019 03:53 Messages: 1 Offline
[Post New]
Quote There are 10 tracks in the Holiday Jingles background music pack.TessTing has put them all on YouTube to check the copyright triggers...

Cheers - Tony

For those complaining that Cyberlink should "do something" it isn't realy their fault, anyone can make a copyright claim there is a resolution service in place, the only long term answer is for every person who has to spend time and energy disputing claims to log their time spent, all should get together and file a class action against the main claimant to reimburse the cost of time spent

Basically these claimants are acting like opportunistic theives, submitting claims for things they do not own exclusive rights to with the knowledge that only a very small percentage of people will dispute the claim, this leaves them to reap the rewards that should be going to the Youtube contributor.
ynotfish
[Post New]
There are 10 tracks in the Easy Listening background music pack. TessTing has put them all on YouTube to check the copyright triggers...

Cheers - Tony
Stevehu [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Apr 21, 2011 23:57 Messages: 9 Offline
[Post New]
I have had three songs flagged and have disputed all three and i am still waiting to hear back from them. I will let you know the results.

Songs flagged were:

Redemption
Our reflection
On top of the world.
aromaticpillow [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Oct 18, 2019 15:12 Messages: 2 Offline
[Post New]
A video I just posted used "Festival", and got flagged right away.

Does anybody have a searchable list of songs and copyright status in one place? The pdf attachments from previous posts are long and not searchable (they are images, not text). As much as I'd love to manually look through every post and read the pdfs, it would be much easier to search.

Thanks!
Stevehu [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Apr 21, 2011 23:57 Messages: 9 Offline
[Post New]
Quote A video I just posted used "Festival", and got flagged right away.

Does anybody have a searchable list of songs and copyright status in one place? The pdf attachments from previous posts are long and not searchable (they are images, not text). As much as I'd love to manually look through every post and read the pdfs, it would be much easier to search.

Thanks!

Easiest way is just dispute them and use the paragraph that is in the EULA section. I have had two of the three songs already released and still waiting on the third one. Kind of a pain in the arse but it works.
Maliek [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: San Antonio, Texas USA Joined: Nov 10, 2012 12:01 Messages: 851 Offline
[Post New]
Quote A video I just posted used "Festival", and got flagged right away.

Thanks!

A list of songs really wouldn't do any good. The copyright status of all the songs would be "royalty free". As stated by Terry61 claims are often made against songs that are royalty free and the only recourse is to dispute the claim. YouTube's content ID system is automated and as shown in YnotFish's previous thread on this subject the claims are usually released due to the inaccuracy of the system. Also, in this post you see that others have used songs and the content ID system flagged it while when YNotFish used the songs none of them were flagged. The inconsistency of the content ID system and the false flags shows that it is an unreliable tool. Subscribe to PowerDirector University on YouTube.

Subscribe to PDU Mobile on YouTube.
aromaticpillow [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Oct 18, 2019 15:12 Messages: 2 Offline
[Post New]
Thanks for the advice Steve and Maliek. Very helpful!

A list of songs really wouldn't do any good. The copyright status of all the songs would be "royalty free". As stated by Terry61 claims are often made against songs that are royalty free and the only recourse is to dispute the claim. YouTube's content ID system is automated and as shown in YnotFish's previous thread on this subject the claims are usually released due to the inaccuracy of the system. Also, in this post you see that others have used songs and the content ID system flagged it while when YNotFish used the songs none of them were flagged. The inconsistency of the content ID system and the false flags shows that it is an unreliable tool.
ynotfish
[Post New]
Hi All -

The most recent Saloon background music has been put to the test on TessTing's YouTube channel.

Just as with the previous group, not a single track was flagged for copyright infringement.

Cheers - Tony
ynotfish
[Post New]
PDR 365's most recent background music pack is Mega Mix, which includes 60 tracks.

When Tess Ting posted them on YouTube, 5 were flagged for copyright infringement. These claims have been disputed, via YouTube's dispute mechanism.

Cheers - Tony
ynotfish
[Post New]
Update on Mega Mix copyright claims:

Of the 5 claims dispted, 4 have been released - Bright Sunshine, Evening by the Fireplace, Lazy Daisy & Mystery Shopper. One track, Stiletto, is still in limbo. I expect it to lapse.

Meanwhile, most of the 50 background music tracks provided with PDR18 (Lifetime License) have been tested on YouTube with not a single claim. Tess Ting didn't bother with the 8 shorter stings, loops & transitions.

Cheers - Tony
ynotfish
[Post New]
Update on Mega Mix Pack copyright claims: The claim on Stiletto (see above) lapsed after 30 days when the claimant took no action after it was disputed. So - bottom line - all tracks are clear of any copyright claims.

The tracks included in Wedding have been tested on YouTube...

Cheers - Tony
PowerDirector Moderator [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: New Taipei City, Taiwan Joined: Oct 18, 2016 00:25 Messages: 2104 Offline
[Post New]
Quote Update on Mega Mix Pack copyright claims: The claim on Stiletto (see above) lapsed after 30 days when the claimant took no action after it was disputed. So - bottom line - all tracks are clear of any copyright claims.

The tracks included in Wedding have been tested on YouTube...

Cheers - Tony

Thanks for the continuing testing and updates Tony, it's a valuable reference resource for members.

Cheers
PowerDirector Moderator

For customer support related issues, please contact:
- Customer service: https://membership.cyberlink.com/support/customer-services.do
- Technical support: https://membership.cyberlink.com/support/service/technical-support.do
ynotfish
[Post New]
Thank you PDM.

With the new Shutterstock audio tracks in PDR365, & without wanting to test the whole extensive collection (!), Tess Ting used a mixture of Shutterstock videos & photos, combined with (irrelevant) music to see whether YouTube would flag anything for copyright.

Only 5 tracks were tested - Blues Brothers, Dancing on the Moon, Lovely Summer, Meaning of Life, Vivid Dreams - but there were NO COPYRIGHT ISSUES.

I know 5 samples isn't very accurate, statistically, but 0/5 pretty good.

Cheers - Tony
Maliek [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: San Antonio, Texas USA Joined: Nov 10, 2012 12:01 Messages: 851 Offline
[Post New]
Quote Thank you PDM.

With the new Shutterstock audio tracks in PDR365, & without wanting to test the whole extensive collection (!), Tess Ting used a mixture of Shutterstock videos & photos, combined with (irrelevant) music to see whether YouTube would flag anything for copyright.

Only 5 tracks were tested - Blues Brothers, Dancing on the Moon, Lovely Summer, Meaning of Life, Vivid Dreams - but there were NO COPYRIGHT ISSUES.

I know 5 samples isn't very accurate, statistically, but 0/5 pretty good.

Cheers - Tony

I love this thread! thanks for doing this Tony!

Can't wait to see if the results hold true after a few weeks have passed. Fingers crossed! Subscribe to PowerDirector University on YouTube.

ynotfish
[Post New]
The music pack Parade, included in the recent update of PDR365 has been put to the test on YouTube.

Of the 10 tracks, not one was flagged for copyright. Zero. This seems to be becoming the expected pattern.

Cheers - Tony
Mobile Man 4 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Aug 27, 2020 13:08 Messages: 1 Offline
[Post New]
Hi there, this is a great thread and really helps to qwell some anxiety (I think). So thanks for volunteering to give this info!

I have 2 questions I'd like to get some clarity regarding this topic:

I am a PowerDirector Mobile user and I see that this discussion has been around PD 18 + 365 and using the "smartsound" or whatever it's called. I currently have not gotten flagged for using the music on PD Mobile but am educating myself in case of emergency.

1. Does all the info and workarounds in this thread pertain to the Mobile version of PD? (The reason I ask is I see "Tess Ting" post keeps outling the music packs they're testing and the mobile version of PD does not have any of the ones mentioned)

2. If I decide to unsubscribe and am no longer a paid user of PD does this change anything regarding copyright? OR would I still follow the same instructions in filing a dispute.

Thanks for your help. I know these are probably basic questions but I was just curious since this seemed to pertain strictly to PD 18/365
ynotfish
[Post New]
Hi Mobile Man 4 -

Though I have the mobile version installed, I rarely use it (just for context).

Background music in PDR Mobile is organised in genres and, although I haven't cross referenced every track, many/most tracks are common to PDR 365 & PDR Mobile. I have found quite a few mobile tracks that aren't included in PDR 365.

Then there's the Shutterstock music, included in both PDR 365 & PDR Mobile. PDR 365 cannot be sorted by Genre, which makes cross referencing challenging! To further complicate the process, genre names are not consistent in each version.

BUT...

There's no reason to think that any of that would make any difference to usage rights & copyright:

1. even though this thread has focussed on background music in PDR18/365, &

2. even though there's some variance in which tracks are available in each version of PDR, &

3. even though the tracks are organised slightly differently in each version

I don't think (happy to be corrected) there would be any difference in how the music is used on YouTube or other platforms.

SO...

1. The processes for disputing any copyright claims would be exactly the same, whether you're using PDR18/365 or PDR Mobile.

2. If you unsubscribe (& the music is theoretically still on your system) the music itself is still subject to potential flagging, but how you dispute claims is a matter for you... i.e. you may need to bend the truth a tad!

Don't worry about posing "basic" questions. This particular topic is a bit of a quagmire. foot-in-mouth

Cheers - Tony
Maliek [Avatar]
[Post New]

1. The processes for disputing any copyright claims would be exactly the same, whether you're using PDR18/365 or PDR Mobile.

2. If you unsubscribe (& the music is theoretically still on your system) the music itself is still subject to potential flagging, but how you dispute claims is a matter for you... i.e. you may need to bend the truth a tad!

Don't worry about posing "basic" questions. This particular topic is a bit of a quagmire. foot-in-mouth

Cheers - Tony

Agree 100% Subscribe to PowerDirector University on YouTube.