Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
PD18 Transitions
JL_JL [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Arizona, USA Joined: Oct 01, 2006 20:01 Messages: 6091 Offline
[Post New]
The PD18 release advertised transition enhancements. Based on the features list, it looks like PD17 had 125 transitions and now PD18 has 162.

I’m kind of a basic fade or cross transition user and was wondering if what was added might be useful. Scrounging around I found they added, Fade 1 – 6, Ripple 1 – 6, and Sliding Transition 1 – 6 for 18 new ones. The other 19 must be added capability to an existing transition, kind of like Easter eggs, maybe report when you find one!

I find this new transition format implementation cumbersome, why not just implement a “Fade Geom” transition and then have it modifiable to all the 6 geometric options they currently offer in a drop down box within the transition. Would appear much cleaner than 6 new Fade 1, Fade 2.... For future expansion, one could easily add other geom shape fades to the drop down list. Essentially similar to like their Grid transition which is modifiable to 6 different geometric grids within 1 transition. They do have other precedence too, of course, like Glass 1, 2, 3, so I guess keep the bulk going.

Jeff
[Thumb - PD18_Transitions.png]
 Filename
PD18_Transitions.png
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
22 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
12 time(s)
tomasc [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 25, 2011 12:33 Messages: 6464 Offline
[Post New]
The Product FAQ may not be correct. PD14 is 120, PD15 is 140, PD17 is 125 in the FAQ. Each newer version of PD actually has more transitions.

See the attached screenshot. PD15 is supposed to have 140. All contents is 158. Subtract 11 downloaded is 147. Add all the numbers without the custom and downloaded and get 161. The spin/swing group has up, down, left, right so add 3, get 164. Slide group and others too have variations. Add those to the numbers and it gets higher.

The Rotational Geometric transitions are a nuisance to me as every other one in a slideshow seem to be one. I use a previous version of PD to create slideshows and import them to PD17.

It is possible that a transition may have been counted more than once as Cyberlink may haave determined that a particular one belongs to other groups too in that particular year.
[Thumb - PD15 Transitions.jpg]
 Filename
PD15 Transitions.jpg
[Disk]
 Description
A transition may belong to more than one group.
 Filesize
145 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
12 time(s)

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Oct 10. 2019 01:55

JL_JL [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Arizona, USA Joined: Oct 01, 2006 20:01 Messages: 6091 Offline
[Post New]
tomasc, correct, I can't equate to the actual number of transitions either, my counts don't match the FAQ numbers provided. As such, I was trying to identify what was different between PD17 and PD18, what enhanced features were added as noted. I only found the 18 I had mentioned.

I've looked at every transition that has an internal control like spin/swing group you mention and nothing different between PD17 and PD18 that I found. No more added internal adjustments for these transitions. It could be that perhaps the missing 19 enhancements were some change made to a Alpha transition that uses the Transition Designer.

For your PD15 capture, it matches mine. The 158-11=147 is the true number of default PD15 individual transitions in my version if you count them. You can't sum the individual group numbers as you did as for instance 3D and 3D-Like are double booked with some of the same transitions in each group. However, the "All Content" number (minus the Downloaded in your case) does match the individual transitions supplied with PD15 if you count them, just not the FAQ as you mentioned.

Jeff
ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Jeff & tomasc -

My numbers don't equate either... to add to the inequality, the 365 version has some extra geometric transtitions that don't appear to exist in the perpetual version of PDR18 (Convergence, DropBox, Stripe Wipe, Tumbling Dice & Zipper). Mind you, I'm not losing too much sleep over it!

Agreed, Jeff, about the cumbersome number of variants which (possibly) could be grouped as happened in previous versions... but they're often different shapes, rather than just directional variation.

Just my 2 cents.

Cheers - Tony
Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!
JL_JL [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thanks Tony, I had not seen any place in the propaganda that the perpetual key holders were being gypped on transitions too on the initial release.

Oh well, wishful thinking I'd see some professional based transitions, but are those tumbling dice fuzzy too?

Jeff
Warry [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: The Netherlands Joined: Oct 13, 2014 11:42 Messages: 853 Offline
[Post New]
The numbers I see in the transitions tab of my PD 365 DO equate. I see a total of 199, and I have indeed 199 transitions, at least when I total the counts on each line. Included are the downloaded and Custom transitions.
One can wonder of course how valuable it is to have a precise mention of totals. And even if it is important to have a count of all the variations per single transition, other than for commercial purposes?
And: Even Convergence, DropBox, Stripe Wipe, Tumbling Dice & Zipper are all there (in my installation they appear to be residing in the folders of action Pack 2d transitions, in program files (x86) / Cyberlink /Templates ........)

My assumption is that PD18 (365) collects the transitions, particles etc. from that various known folders at start up. One may have noticed that the details behind the tabs are filled in with some delay.

Looking at the folders at the obvious and not so obvious places, I see that transitions, but also other "specials" can be all over the place. In folders of former versions, in folders as part of (some) Content Packs like the Action Pack I mentioned.
I can understand and do appreciate it that Cyberlink has made some effort in making sure that the transitions and other stuff from previous versions are still available, taking into account that users may skip versions and do or don't have 365. Even settings can be found in the "all users" and the "public" user folders (the latter contains some downloaded stuff, at least in my installation).

One may also recall with me discussions, also in this forum space, about moving templates from one to another folder after having moved to a newer version? I can imagine that Cyberlink eventually wants (has!) to reorganize this a bit, otherwise somewhere the loading of their software will become slower than acceptable (even with the usage of links in the registry). Some sort of automated collection and moving process could be a solution? Maybe even as part of the Application manager?(In any case I would strongly recommend an automated and properly tested backup meganism.....
Besides the speed, such reorganization may also help users getting their collection in order e.g. when transferring to another computer.... Of course there may be the problem of transitions (etc.) not being downwards compatible or to maintaining downwards compatibility in newer software. I see that in (folder- ) version naming and in .XML files version numbering in some but not all cases is already used. Consistency should be key.

But I agree, although intriguing, and even annoying if you see that the transitions you always used are lost when moving to a newer version, I also don’t lose too much sleep over it. Cyberlink eventually should.

My two cents....
ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
That's it Warry! I didn't even think of the extra packs available for 365 users. That explains the difference between 365 & perpetual, in this case at least.

I don't think PDR users who don't have the 5 Action Pack transitions would be feeling too hard-done-by...

Cheers - Tony
Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!
tomasc [Avatar]
[Post New]
These and the Rotational Geometric transitions appear to be distracting in my opinion for a slideshow. I rarely use transitions in videos as TV episodes and news tend to be hard cuts on my local stations. That is what I am used to seeing so new transitions do not matter that much to me.
detroit123 [Avatar]
Senior Member Joined: Dec 20, 2011 14:58 Messages: 194 Offline
[Post New]
I notice in youtube videos there will be the line going across from left to right on a video that is showing the before and after look, etc

what is the name of that transition in PD 18. It is not one of the slide ones as I just looked at those
Warry [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: The Netherlands Joined: Oct 13, 2014 11:42 Messages: 853 Offline
[Post New]
Can you point to an example, please?
detroit123 [Avatar]
[Post New]
I can't find the youtube example I saw recently but I see this type of effect on comparision videos, etc

You will watching a video and then there is a line slowly moving from left to right that is putting the new image over the old image

once the line moves across you only see the new image, etc
tomasc [Avatar]
[Post New]
Wipe right. Set the transition duration to be longer and slower as needed.
Warry [Avatar]
[Post New]
OK.
What is good to know is, is:
if you want the new picture already in place and that it will be more and more revealed with the line (that is the WIPE with direction right), or
if you want the new picture to be moved into place with the line.... (that is the SLIDE transition with direction right)

Also have a look at the ProDAD and Vitascene plugin transitions, they may give you the same or more desired results.
And if you want a clearly visible line moving, and such is not available, then you have the option to draw a line and move it along with the transition. Mind you this may require a lot of careful key-framing to keep the line moving at the same paste as the transition.

My two cents without an example
detroit123 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote OK.
What is good to know is, is:
if you want the new picture already in place and that it will be more and more revealed with the line (that is the WIPE with direction right), or
if you want the new picture to be moved into place with the line.... (that is the SLIDE transition with direction right)

Also have a look at the ProDAD and Vitascene plugin transitions, they may give you the same or more desired results.
And if you want a clearly visible line moving, and such is not available, then you have the option to draw a line and move it along with the transition. Mind you this may require a lot of careful key-framing to keep the line moving at the same paste as the transition.

My two cents without an example

thanks for the info is the ProDAD and Vitascene in the Director Zone site ?
Warry [Avatar]
[Post New]

thanks for the info is the ProDAD and Vitascene in the Director Zone site ?

They come along with the ultimate (also 18 and below) and 365 versions. In my case they have been installed automatically.
If you have one of those, you will find them when opening the transfer-room....
detroit123 [Avatar]
[Post New]
I think the kind of transition I am talkinga about is when you can still see the older image while it is being replaced by the newer image

It looks like the wipe right goes across and covers the whole image in black

You can't see anything from left to right other than the black color
Warry [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote I think the kind of transition I am talkinga about is when you can still see the older image while it is being replaced by the newer image

It looks like the wipe right goes across and covers the whole image in black

You can't see anything from left to right other than the black color

Hmmm, it looks like you describe that there is an all black periode before the new image is showed? I think I need an example.