Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
What's the Problem with PD 18 not supporting Avi Files?
jimdias1992 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Oct 09, 2019 03:46 Messages: 7 Offline
[Post New]
So power director 18 does'nt support AVI files?huh they worked perfect with PD 17..im now getting an error and they don't open So am i supposed to convert them now to MP4 MPEG to open now?why?

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Oct 09. 2019 04:33

BarryTheCrab
Senior Contributor Location: USA Joined: Nov 06, 2008 22:18 Messages: 6240 Offline
[Post New]
Where are the files from? What is the codec?
I had no ability to use my lossless AVI until contacting Cyberlink and they requested I delete 2 registry keys. Now it works.
Contact support. HP Envy Phoenix/4thGen i7-4770(4@3.4GHz~turbo>3.9)
Nvidia GTX 960(4GB)/16GB DDR3/
Canon Vixia HV30/HF-M40/HF-M41/HF-G20/Olympus E-PL5.
Tape capture using 6 VCR, TBC-1000, Elite BVP4+, Sony D8 camcorder with TBC.
https://www.facebook.com/BarryAFTT
jimdias1992 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote Where are the files from? What is the codec?
I had no ability to use my lossless AVI until contacting Cyberlink and they requested I delete 2 registry keys. Now it works.
Contact support.

They are plain avi files.there are from a nikon coolpix a 100,error says An error occured while opening the media file maybe file is broken (which they are not ),an unsupported format,protected video content,or for onother reason Try contacting your video provider for a different video format.
WHAT?
StevenG [Avatar]
Contributor Joined: Jan 14, 2014 14:04 Messages: 513 Offline
[Post New]
It could be that the AVIs your camera shoots use a codec like MJPEG or Divx, which may not be editable.

Coolpix cameras were introduced nearly 10+ years ago, and it could be that they used a primitive AVI codec.

Open one of your AVIs in the free download MediaInfo. In MediaInfo, set View to Text and then copy the report it generates and paste it to this forum. Once we see what that AVI is made of, we'll better be able to help you.

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Oct 09. 2019 07:48

jimdias1992 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote It could be that the AVIs your camera shoots use a codec like MJPEG or Divx, which may not be editable.

Coolpix cameras were introduced nearly 10+ years ago, and it could be that they used a primitive AVI codec.

Open one of your AVIs in the free download MediaInfo. In MediaInfo, set View to Text and then copy the report it generates and paste it to this forum. Once we see what that AVI is made of, we'll better be able to help you.

Thanks well it says that
Format : JPEG
Codec ID : MJPG
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
There's no need to convert the MJPG clip so that PD18 can play it, but you might need to apply the hotfix and make a couple registry changes.

There are two steps you might need to do to get this to work on your system. Please do them one at a time, and stop if the first step solves the problem:

1. Download the MediaObj.dll "hotfix" and follow the instructions in this post, and see if PD18 can open clip

2. If it works but PD sometimes crashes or seems to not work properly with the clip, try deleting the two registry keys shown in this post

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Oct 09. 2019 12:46

YouTube/optodata

DS365 | Win11 Pro | Ryzen 9 3950X | RTX 4070 Ti | 32GB RAM | 10TB SSDs | 5K+4K HDR monitors

Canon Vixia GX10 (4K 60p) | HF G30 (HD 60p) | Yi Action+ 4K | 360Fly 4K 360°
jimdias1992 [Avatar]
[Post New]
So after many hours of Frustration and reading and starting coverting my files to MPEG and AVCHD so PD 18 will import them lol i read that if i download codec packs the problem is fixed to others,that had the same problem with previous PD version. i downloaded K-LIte Codec and Lav Decoder IT IMPORTS THEM NOW i mean really

This message was edited 3 times. Last update was at Oct 09. 2019 12:40

tonton2 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Mar 21, 2018 14:26 Messages: 19 Offline
[Post New]
OMG thank you so much!!!
I'm wondering why I asked the tech support first - 4 weeks of no solutions! but your codec worked finally!
jimdias1992 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote OMG thank you so much!!!
I'm wondering why I asked the tech support first - 4 weeks of no solutions! but your codec worked finally!

cool