Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Why is power director 8 worse than 7
Dafydd B [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 26, 2006 08:20 Messages: 11973 Offline
[Post New]
Josh,
While Tony is taking the mickey out of your inept writing style, I tend to be very blunt.

You contribution to this forum is welcome but only if you edit your posts so others can read them! I have had complaints from forum members.

Put capital letters in where needed, add the correct punctuation and use a spell checker.

We all make typo's and errors when posting, your style of writing is unacceptable. It isn't acceptable to your English teacher either!

Please correct your posts or I will take action.

Thank you.

Dafydd
[Moderator]
[Post New]
I find it interesting that you senior contributors are more attentive with my grammatical errors and typos than the matter at hand, and while i could care less what my English teacher thinks of the manner in which I type in this thread. I do know he would go bonkers over how inept and unstable this piece of software is. While its not my intention to be a jerk, I do feel that this company is currently screwing me out of the 60 dollars it cost to purchase this program and not pirate it because I had faith that a well known company like Cyberlink would deliver a software to a more higher quality standard than the one i currently have.

Especially when your running it on a machine thats not even 3 months old and who's sole purpose was to edit and create home dvd's. So yes as Cyberlink fixes there software I will in turn correct my typing on your threads. I paid money for a service that has not been delivered so please while your version apparently works mine on the other and other customers does not so you can understand how upset one would be when they purchase something just to find out when you get home that its unusable, and that the majority of the features that the box states it does, does not work. So please stop gripping about it and focus that effort on correcting the laundry list of issue that power director currently has.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Sep 17. 2009 19:26

ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Josh -

1. Your frustration is understood by everyone in this forum. We all agree that you should get what you pay for.
2. The issues ARE more important than the spelling & grammar.
3. The issues ARE more easily understood when communicated clearly... as in, written reasonably correctly. Case in point - I fully understood your last post, but had to re-read the others to try to work them out!
4. No one was "gripping" about what you had to say - just the way it was written.
5. No one here represents Cyberlink (it says that up the top). No one here ripped you off. No one here can fix the software - we can only suggest workarounds. We are just users, like you.
6. Dafydd had referred the i7 issue to CyberLink R&D.

Cheers - Tony

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Sep 17. 2009 20:28

Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!
vn800rider
Senior Contributor Location: Darwen, UK Joined: May 15, 2008 04:32 Messages: 1949 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Josh,

I've been away for a week or so and when I got back I started to catch up with the forum and see if I could learn anything from new stuff on PD8 and if I could offer anything to others.

As Tony says, no-one here has any link to or influence with CL. Dafydd (as moderator) has the ability to contact CL directly in certain circumstances, so it is a matter of personal choice for anyone on the forum as to whether they read, respond or ignore posts.

This means that, in order to encourage others to read and respond (and hopefully help, in most cases), posts do need to be reasonably articulate, reasonably clear, not offensive or ranting, etc etc

Whilst I really don't mind, on a personal level, about your use of english - it's a matter for you - BUT I would point out that I didn't actually read your individual posts because of it, it was too time consuming. Given I'm 57 and my time on this earth is therefore getting more limited, I exercised my choice and passed over your posts - sorry.

So I think it is important that posts are easy to read and understand, and whilst others did take the time and trouble to try to address the issues, I didn't (except for a quick link to another post).

In that respect, it probably is justified to point out that your personal choice of english usage, whilst being entirely "allowable" (in terms of your personal freedoms), probably did not do your cause any favours - it became a disadvantage. Perhaps it is quicker to type for you, but it is certainly more difficult to read for the people you are asking to help solve your problem.

On a more philosophical note - it probably illustrates, in a small way, the broader clash of personal choices and social cohesion, but I suspect that is a topic too far.

Cheers
Adrian

This message was edited 3 times. Last update was at Sep 18. 2009 02:42

Life is really simple, but we insist on making it complicated. (see below)
Confucius
AMD Phenom IIX6 1055T, win10, 5 internal drives, 7 usb drives, struggling power supply.
Cranston
Senior Contributor Location: USA Joined: Aug 17, 2007 02:26 Messages: 1667 Offline
[Post New]
re: Adrian's response to Josh.

Brilliant!

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Sep 18. 2009 02:51

Click here PDtoots for a collection of PowerDirector Tutorials and Tips
Dafydd B [Avatar]
[Post New]
Josh,
I take it you haven't read the first of the two PM's I sent you RE: CyberLink's request for your data AND the message from R&D I passed on?

PM: Please can you supply / Josh / 16/09/2009 11:57:01

I have today been asked to follow up my request to you for the data. I hope you want to help fix the i7 issue which you and others are experiencing.

I look forward to receiving a PM from you and the information uploaded to the FTP location I supplied..

Dafydd
[Moderator]

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Sep 18. 2009 15:26

All vodi
Senior Contributor Location: Canada Joined: Aug 21, 2009 11:24 Messages: 1431 Offline
[Post New]
The ranting read on this and other web sites (there are several already) about the poor quality auditing done on this piece of software is very justified. Having used two other similar video editors, I can safely say that PD8 is the most crash prone that I've seen in years ! It claims to be able to handle HD video but frankly, it frequently gets in the way of Windows XP or Vista, creating sometimes massive crashes of the system. I've tried it on single, dual, quad, and i7 PC's and it is amazing how frequently crashes can occur on relatively simple still images and mpeg files. And I haven't even touched on the mediocre disc menu designer/editor - a child could do better.

The basic design and conceptualization of PD8 is good. The full implementation appears to be a few more releases away.
[Post New]
Dafydd I no longer have the project file that was causing the issues, since I had to use a program other than PD to do what I wanted, I already removed that waste from my computer, by waste I mean the failed project file.

Jaime if you read the earlier threads on you'll see that I have given my reasons as to why this is a Cyberlink related issue and there fault.

This message was edited 5 times. Last update was at Sep 22. 2009 12:05

James Dotson
Senior Contributor Location: Tennessee Joined: Aug 24, 2009 20:40 Messages: 3066 Offline
[Post New]
Here again we have someone claiming crash problems with no details. I have been using PD8 for a while and have had exactly one crash while editing a video that was over 3GB. Restarted PD and finished without issue.

I have no doubt that you have the crashes that you claim, but you offer no reason to believe that it is CyberLink's fault. __________________________________
CORNBLOSSOM
[Post New]
Jaime Do you have a Core i7 computer ?

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Sep 22. 2009 12:06

Dafydd B [Avatar]
[Post New]
Josh,
Your name calling and juvenile playground behaviour is totally unacceptable on this forum. Show due respect!

CyberLink R&D are fully aware of the i7 issue and other issues relating to crashing.

Look up: http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/90/7771.page

Thank you Jaime for your posting. I certainly respect your skill and knowledge of video editing. You also have a system that works!

Dafydd
[Moderator]

This message was edited 3 times. Last update was at Sep 22. 2009 05:56

Dafydd B [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote: I've tried it on single, dual, quad, and i7 PC's and it is amazing how frequently crashes can occur on relatively simple still images and mpeg files.
I'm particularly interested to know:
1. The video file formats of these test projects
2. The diagnostics of the PC's
3. The Export > Pack project material of these projects

Unless you can come up with some tangible contribution to back up your dissertation regarding all the PC's you've applied PD8 to then your post has as little relevance than a whimsical rant.

Sorry if this all comes across a bit harsh but the post needs facts not fiction. Unless R&D gets data in a manner that can be used all the moans and gripes however justified are worthless input.

http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/7958.page
Subject: PowerDirector - information we request and tasks to carry out.
PART A - name it
PART B - provide it
PART F - use them
PART E - an alternative
PART D - presentation is important

I can provide you with an FTP location for uploading etc.

Let me know if you can provide data - thanks.

Dafydd

Quote: The ranting read on this and other web sites (there are several already) about the poor quality auditing done on this piece of software is very justified. Having used two other similar video editors, I can safely say that PD8 is the most crash prone that I've seen in years ! It claims to be able to handle HD video but frankly, it frequently gets in the way of Windows XP or Vista, creating sometimes massive crashes of the system. I've tried it on single, dual, quad, and i7 PC's and it is amazing how frequently crashes can occur on relatively simple still images and mpeg files. And I haven't even touched on the mediocre disc menu designer/editor - a child could do better.

The basic design and conceptualization of PD8 is good. The full implementation appears to be a few more releases away.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Sep 22. 2009 04:25

[Post New]
What name calling are you talking about, I responded to your post and followed it with a question. I did not respond with any sort of juvenile behavior or name calling ?

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Sep 22. 2009 11:45

Dafydd B [Avatar]
[Post New]
Perhaps I misunderstood the inappropriate miss-spelling of my name to be more that what you intended. On a forum it is rude to abbreviate or add characters. I always check names. I have never shortened or lengthened my name since each character represents a sound and where two letters do so in my name.

Dafydd

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Sep 22. 2009 12:06

[Post New]
You mis-understood, I noticed that I forgot to type the last 2 d's from your name my apologies for my typo. I corrected my post to reflect that.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Sep 22. 2009 12:06

Dafydd B [Avatar]
[Post New]
Accepted - there was no malice intended - item closed let's move on.

I want to see you editing with your i7 set up.

Dafydd
[Post New]
Just received a response from Cyberlink support team, they suggested I disable the UAC function in Windows.

I have not had the chance to try this yet, but I did send a follow up ticket asking them what relation does the UAC have with Powerdirector crashing.

Just throwing that out there in case someone wants to give it a go. I'll will try this suggestion later on in the day and report back my findings.

*** Update
Tried the suggestions that Cyberlink told me and nothing worked, back to square one.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Sep 25. 2009 00:12