Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Setting up file management correctly
[Post New]
POWERDIRECTOR 16 Ultimate

I recently watched the 2 part video by PDToots on PowerDirector Project Management found HERE. I have a library and folder question.

1. I have started a particular project (for reference purposes we'll call it- "Project 1").

2. There are already 10 edited clips on the timeline in the project. Those 10 raw clips were from Hard Disk location A ("HDL-A")

3. I have now set up "Folder Project 1" and moved the Project1.pds into that folder

4. I have also loaded the same 10 raw clips again into the Project 1 library. That makes 20 clips total - 10 are duplicates of course

5. The 10 clips already used in the timeline have green checkmarks in the library. The 10 duplicate clips in the library do not have checkmarks.

6. If I delete the 10 checkmarked timeline clips from the library will the remaining Folder Project 1 duplicate clips - is it safe to assume the project will still reference to the timeline even though the "HDL-A location is no longer the location for the raw clips?

Philwild [Avatar]
Senior Member Location: Hemel Hempstead, UK Joined: Oct 05, 2017 12:04 Messages: 208 Offline
[Post New]
If you delete those clips then PowerDirector will ask you to locate them.

The PDS file records the location of the clips and any changes (edits). If you want everything to be in a different location, you may be better served by moving the original clips to the new locating and then telling PowerDirector to add that location and then deleting the duplicate clips.

I believe that the check marks are to show that shadow files have been created for those clips.

Phil
PowerDirector Moderator [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: New Taipei City, Taiwan Joined: Oct 18, 2016 00:25 Messages: 2104 Offline
[Post New]
Quote If you delete those clips then PowerDirector will ask you to locate them.

The PDS file records the location of the clips and any changes (edits). If you want everything to be in a different location, you may be better served by moving the original clips to the new locating and then telling PowerDirector to add that location and then deleting the duplicate clips.

I believe that the check marks are to show that shadow files have been created for those clips.

Phil

Hi,
The .pds file "hard codes" the location of assets. This means that if any of those assets used in a project are moved from their original location, then PDR cannot automatically find them, hence it will ask, when a project is opened, for the user to browse to the new location.
Once that is done and the assets are "found" and used in the project, and the project is saved, then the .pds file records the new location for the next opening of the project.
The ideal way to "move" a project with it's assets is to use the Pack Project function.

Given your small project, you should be able to open the project, browse to your files and then PDR will access the original assets from their new location, it is more of a problem if your assets run to hundreds and were scattered over multiple locations!

The green tick (top right)means the assets are used in the project timeline, a green film icon (bottom left) means that shadow files (if used) have been generated.

Cheers
PowerDirector Moderator

For customer support related issues, please contact:
- Customer service: https://membership.cyberlink.com/support/customer-services.do
- Technical support: https://membership.cyberlink.com/support/service/technical-support.do
[Post New]
Quote . . . and then telling PowerDirector to add that location and then deleting the duplicate clips.

Phil

Please elaborate on how to tell PD to '. . . add that location'?
[Post New]
Quote . . . The green tick (top right)means the assets are used in the project timeline, a green film icon (bottom left) means that shadow files (if used) have been generated. . . .

Thank you for the information. What exactly is a [shadow file's] purpose comparatively speaking to the other clips?
Philwild [Avatar]
Senior Member Location: Hemel Hempstead, UK Joined: Oct 05, 2017 12:04 Messages: 208 Offline
[Post New]

Please elaborate on how to tell PD to '. . . add that location'?

When you open the program, if the location of the clips has changed, PD will ask you to locate the clips. It will then update the PDS file accordingly.
Philwild [Avatar]
[Post New]

Thank you for the information. What exactly is a [shadow file's] purpose comparatively speaking to the other clips?

Shadow files are there to help speed things up by carrying out some processes in the background. They can help if your machine is a little slow. Some people use them, some don't. It's worth experimenting with them if you have speed issues.
PowerDirector Moderator [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: New Taipei City, Taiwan Joined: Oct 18, 2016 00:25 Messages: 2104 Offline
[Post New]

HI,
Shadow (or proxy) files are lower resolution files that are generated,if they are activated in Preferences, that enable the smoother editing and preview of Hi-Res clips.

They take some time to generate initially,hence the change in icon colour when completed,

It is a matter for each user as to how useful shadow files will be for their particular workflow.

Cheers,
PowerDirector Moderator

For customer support related issues, please contact:
- Customer service: https://membership.cyberlink.com/support/customer-services.do
- Technical support: https://membership.cyberlink.com/support/service/technical-support.do
[Post New]
Thanks for all replies.