Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Color Director 8 trial can't select colors
[Post New]

Mouhamad, I'd have to agree with you, CL has done something different with CD8, it's the order of which corrections are applied. Since you are adjusting to get black background, this has significant consequence. What is extremely easy to do in versions prior to CD8, I've not found a way to easy do in CD8. Attached pic from CD7 works as I think it should and does not have the anomaly of CD8.

Jeff

So what is the solution?
[Post New]

It does seem to happen when something is pure black (0, 0, 0) in a video. You don't even need to first adjust any adjustment sliders first.

Mouhamad, what did CyberLink tech support say about the issue when you contacted them?

Ash

Haven't gotten back to me. I'll contact them again
Kyle 40
Contributor Location: Cumbria Joined: Sep 06, 2013 14:14 Messages: 467 Offline
[Post New]

Haven't gotten back to me. I'll contact them again

Hi Mouhamad, just seen what you're trying to do in your video. It appears to be a luminance key rather than a colour replacement. Try adjusting the tolerance levels to fill all the colours in your original shot as your settings appear to be only effecting the darker to mid tone areas.
Cheers

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Nov 14. 2019 18:46

I just want to edit and make pictures, walk my dog and go fishing.
Kyle 40
[Post New]

Hi Mouhamad, just seen what you're trying to do in your video. It appears to be a luminance key rather than a colour replacement. Try adjusting the tolerance levels to fill all the colours in your original shot as your settings appear to be only effecting the darker to mid tone areas.
Cheers

Hi Mouhamad, here's a video I made a while ago about changing colour in a selection made on a video to GREEN.
Sadly, you can't change what type of KEY it is This particular video was made using ColorDirector 6, it was just an experiment to find out if I could make a usable Green Screen in Post, it worked nicely.
I've noticed that when making a selection area, using any of the Cyberlink products, you appear to effect the image using a "KEY". rather than making a separate layer, over the image, which would ideal for making solid colour OR even a grad of colour.
There are ways around this by using all the tools available, it's one of the few ( ? ) shortcomings of the software
Hope this video will help you. innocent

I just want to edit and make pictures, walk my dog and go fishing.
[Post New]

It does seem to happen when something is pure black (0, 0, 0) in a video. You don't even need to first adjust any adjustment sliders first.

Mouhamad, what did CyberLink tech support say about the issue when you contacted them?

Ash

They told me to make sure I have the latest update which I do and do update my Nvidia drivers which I did. Same problem, and also Photo Director does the same exact thing if it's black. I'm convinced that it's a bug
[Post New]

Hi Mouhamad, here's a video I made a while ago about changing colour in a selection made on a video to GREEN.
Sadly, you can't change what type of KEY it is This particular video was made using ColorDirector 6, it was just an experiment to find out if I could make a usable Green Screen in Post, it worked nicely.
I've noticed that when making a selection area, using any of the Cyberlink products, you appear to effect the image using a "KEY". rather than making a separate layer, over the image, which would ideal for making solid colour OR even a grad of colour.
There are ways around this by using all the tools available, it's one of the few ( ? ) shortcomings of the software
Hope this video will help you. innocent

Yes I know if I adjust the sliders enough I can make a green screen but the simplest way is to make everything black and then choose green but that doesn't work. When I choose green or any other color the software picks white. This only happens with black. I can change the color from blue to green if I wanted to.
Kyle 40
[Post New]

Yes I know if I adjust the sliders enough I can make a green screen but the simplest way is to make everything black and then choose green but that doesn't work. When I choose green or any other color the software picks white. This only happens with black. I can change the color from blue to green if I wanted to.

Hi Mouhamad
Replacing colours of the "video" and replacing colours of the video through a "mask" does appear to cause different "effects"surprised.
Until Cyberlink can offer a reason on why this should be and because you can achieve the colour you want by going through other colors, is it possible for you not to use black to start with?
I'm sure you still need to learn the reason why, I think you've got a few people now wanting to find the answer.

Cheers I just want to edit and make pictures, walk my dog and go fishing.
[Post New]

Hi Mouhamad
Replacing colours of the "video" and replacing colours of the video through a "mask" does appear to cause different "effects"surprised.
Until Cyberlink can offer a reason on why this should be and because you can achieve the colour you want by going through other colors, is it possible for you not to use black to start with?
I'm sure you still need to learn the reason why, I think you've got a few people now wanting to find the answer.

Cheers

If I'm starting with another color say blue and I choose black to replace the blue it will work. But if I'm trying to replace black it won't work. It's like the program thinks you're not selecting black but rather a blank space.
dlutchy [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Oct 10, 2016 04:07 Messages: 1 Offline
[Post New]
I have Color Director V8.0.2320 and I am having the exact same problem. The color replacement only works if my original color is NOT Black.
[Post New]
Quote I have Color Director V8.0.2320 and I am having the exact same problem. The color replacement only works if my original color is NOT Black.

Still the same for me. The update didn't fix anything. I think CyberLink thinks that it's not a problem and it must be my system causing it to happen but it's not. Something is wrong with the software
manson444 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Nov 29, 2017 02:51 Messages: 3 Offline
[Post New]
Hi there,

I have the exact same issue with the color replacement tool and have been struggling with this for months. I previously used Colordirector 4 and there were no issues.

The answer i have been getting from support are below, they said they've escalated to engineering team and provided a workaround which doesn't really work. They've suggested just using chroma key on black which isn't a good solution as all the blacks in my video (even outside the mask) would be transparent. So, until today, no solution...

Thank you for contacting CyberLink Technical Support.
We understand that you would like to follow up your escalated case in relation with your previous ticket number CS002064784. We are more than willing to assist you with your concern.
With reference to your query, after further checking with engineering team, the ColorDirector new version 8 updates the algorithm of Color Replacement tool to enhance the color replacing smoothness, and the keyframe feature support for dynamic color replacing and changing effect.
This is probably the root cause that cause the replaced result change in the new version.
Our engineering team keeps enhancing the Color Replacement feature between ColorDirector versions, and this case has been escalated for the team as feature improvement reference.
Thank you for your feedback and report.
For your editing, as workaround, if you need to edit the video now, we may advised to use the Chroma Key feature directly in PowerDirector 365 to key the nearly black or white background, it could be the possible solution.
Please feel free to contact us back for further clarification or assistance related to CyberLink Products. Use the link below to get back to us:
https://membership.cyberlink.com/support/service/technical-support.do
Thanks and Regards,
Alvin
CyberLink Technical Support

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Dec 15. 2019 03:39

manson444 [Avatar]
[Post New]
This was the latest reply from them after i told them that Chroma key on black doesn't work:

Thank you for the prompt reply.
With reference to your query, the Chroma Key feature of PowerDirector, supports keying the black or white color into transparent, however it would take whole video area into the keying processing. It is the current feature's design and limitation of the Chroma Key feature.
We understood that the result might not be identical to the editing after you applied the color replacement tool on the video using ColorDirector previous versions.
As earlier mention, the ColorDirector new version 8 updates the algorithm of Color Replacement tool to enhance the color replacing smoothness, and the keyframe feature support for dynamic color replacing and changing effect.
That is why the replaced result change in the new version.
Our engineering team keeps enhancing the Color Replacement feature between ColorDirector versions, and this case has been escalated for the team as feature improvement reference.
Thank you for your feeback and report.
Please feel free to contact us back for further clarification or assistance related to CyberLink Products. Use the link below to get back to us:
Thanks and Regards,

Alvin

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Dec 15. 2019 03:44

[Post New]
Quote This was the latest reply from them after i told them that Chroma key on black doesn't work:

With reference to your query, the Chroma Key feature of PowerDirector, supports keying the black or white color into transparent, however it would take whole video area into the keying processing. It is the current feature's design and limitation of the Chroma Key feature.
We understood that the result might not be identical to the editing after you applied the color replacement tool on the video using ColorDirector previous versions.
As earlier mention, the ColorDirector new version 8 updates the algorithm of Color Replacement tool to enhance the color replacing smoothness, and the keyframe feature support for dynamic color replacing and changing effect.
Thanks and Regards,

Alvin

I don't like that they did that. It would be much quicker to just change the color in ColorDirector rather than using chroma key and PowerDirector and throwing a green background over the part you keyed out.
Jarek_1 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Sep 24, 2017 04:59 Messages: 6 Offline
[Post New]
Quote This was the latest reply from them after i told them that Chroma key on black doesn't work:

Thanks and Regards,

Alvin

The problem is that it is not improvement but software regression. I had 2 older versions of pd and CD and it worked today doesn't...
manson444 [Avatar]
[Post New]
They have provided me with Colordirector 7 so that i can use this feature in the meantime, so i guess they do acknowledge that we can't do this in CD8 and there should be a fix in the horizon hopefully.

No dates provided yet.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jan 08. 2020 00:28

Jarek_1 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Sep 24, 2017 04:59 Messages: 6 Offline
[Post New]
Quote They have provided me with Colordirector 7 so that i can use this feature in the meantime, so i guess they do acknowledge that we can't do this in CD8 and there should be a fix in the horizon hopefully.

No dates provided yet.

I figured out how to somehow mitigate this issue.
When I create green screen effect from movie then go to:
Regional adjustment tool-> Curve-> and choose left/down dot of green color and move up to maximum.
Then color replacement works and you can change backround color from green to whatever you want

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jan 08. 2020 04:16

drosenbe08132 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Feb 13, 2012 11:14 Messages: 31 Offline
[Post New]

Regional adjustment tool-> Curve-> and choose left/down dot of green color and move up to maximum.
Then color replacement works and you can change backround color from green to whatever you want

Thanks....that worked....
KFarm [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Mar 14, 2020 15:29 Messages: 3 Offline
[Post New]

THANKS! This worked for me in CD8.

Greatly appreciate your innovative solution. I hope the developers fix the problem.
Pturtel [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Dec 10, 2019 14:09 Messages: 1 Offline
[Post New]
Quote I'm not able to select the color I want. on the color replacement tool I'm selecting green but the program automatically chooses white. This happens for all colors as well, whether I choose red, yellow so on the program will only choose white.

Is this a limit of the trial or what's wrong?

Hello!

I just got CD8 last night, and I have been having a similar issue to the white instead of green. Do you know if there was ever a solution found? Or am I stuck having paid 100+ for a product that doesnt work?

Thank you for your time

Pturtel
Anonymous [Avatar]
[Post New]

Hello!

I just got CD8 last night, and I have been having a similar issue to the white instead of green. Do you know if there was ever a solution found? Or am I stuck having paid 100+ for a product that doesnt work?

Thank you for your time

Pturtel

Hi,

For pure black and white, I use global adjustment > split toning > 3 way and its highlight or shadow wheels to change them to other colors
That works, you may try.

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Apr 09. 2020 04:13

JBmorty2211 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jun 20, 2020 07:30 Messages: 2 Offline
[Post New]

Thank you! Good workaround.

(You helped us more than the replies from Cyberlink to this issue)

Respect.