Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Color Director 8 trial can't select colors
[Post New]
I'm not able to select the color I want. on the color replacement tool I'm selecting green but the program automatically chooses white. This happens for all colors as well, whether I choose red, yellow so on the program will only choose white.

Is this a limit of the trial or what's wrong?
[Post New]
Hello Mouhamad,

The colour replacement function appears to be working correctly with CDR8, here. See this short screen capture:

I cannot find any reference to that being a limitation in the trial version, nor would I expect it to be.

Could you please provide a screen capture or screenshots illustrating your issue?

PIX PIX YouTube channel
[Post New]
Quote Hello Mouhamad,

The colour replacement function appears to be working correctly with CDR8, here. See this short screen capture:

I cannot find any reference to that being a limitation in the trial version, nor would I expect it to be.

Could you please provide a screen capture or screenshots illustrating your issue?

PIX

Thanks. I'll give it another try
[Post New]
Quote Hello Mouhamad,

PIX

I have the full version and I still can't choose green to make a green screen. When I make something completely black and go to the color selector to change it from black to green the software automatically chooses white. This happens with all colors it always chooses white. This only seems to be happening when the original color I'm selecting is black, if I select white and then green it'll turn green.
[Post New]
Hello again,

It's concerning that your CDR8 doesn't appear to be functioning correctly on your PC. As requested previously, "Could you please provide a screen capture or screenshots illustrating your issue?" It's important to gather as much data/evidence as possible in order to set about trying to resolve this.

A screen capture would show members some basic information that may lead to a resolution:

e.g. When you go to Adjustment > Effects > Color Replacement, what happens when you click on the Original Color eyedropper, then select a colour from the preview window?

As stated earlier, I am unable to replicate what you've described here.

PIX PIX YouTube channel
[Post New]
Quote Hello again,

It's concerning that your CDR8 doesn't appear to be functioning correctly on your PC. As requested previously, "Could you please provide a screen capture or screenshots illustrating your issue?" It's important to gather as much data/evidence as possible in order to set about trying to resolve this.

A screen capture would show members some basic information that may lead to a resolution:

e.g. When you go to Adjustment > Effects > Color Replacement, what happens when you click on the Original Color eyedropper, then select a colour from the preview window?

As stated earlier, I am unable to replicate what you've described here.

PIX

https://imgur.com/a/LPXD6ZF

Here are a few screenshots demonstrating the problem.

In the first screenshot it shows just a basic color change to the whole scene. I selected yellow as the original color and then selected green as shown in the second screen shot and it worked.

In the third and fourth screenshot I made a small box mask, tweaked the settings so that it turned blue then in the color selector I changed the blue to purple and it worked.

In the bottom three images I made another basic mask, turned everthing basically all black, Chose green and then it turns white. This only appears to be happening when I choose black with the color selector.

So that is what's going on.
[Post New]
Anyone figure out a solution?
wimbledonn [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Oct 26, 2019 09:34 Messages: 3 Offline
[Post New]
Quote Anyone figure out a solution?

i have the same problem. any solution yet? running on a dell xps 9560. thanks!

ps. i purchased the full version.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Oct 26. 2019 14:37

[Post New]

i have the same problem. any solution yet? running on a dell xps 9560. thanks!

ps. i purchased the full version.

You too? Glad I'm not the only one. I need a fix to this soon
[Post New]
It's still not working for me. I still can't change the color from black to whatever color I want. I'm sure this is a glitch. Anyone figure out a solution?
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
Quote It's still not working for me. I still can't change the color from black to whatever color I want. I'm sure this is a glitch. Anyone figure out a solution?

As far as I can tell, nobody outside of this thread is having the problem.

I know you shared a series of screenshots previously, but maybe if you made a screen recording (as PIX has suggested), it would be easier to follow your exact steps. That way, other people would either replicate the issue or really see what's happening and provide an alternate way of selecting the correct color.

YouTube/optodata

DS365 | Win11 Pro | Ryzen 9 3950X | RTX 4070 Ti | 32GB RAM | 10TB SSDs | 5K+4K HDR monitors

Canon Vixia GX10 (4K 60p) | HF G30 (HD 60p) | Yi Action+ 4K | 360Fly 4K 360°
[Post New]

I know you shared a series of screenshots previously, but maybe if you made a screen recording (as PIX has suggested), it would be easier to follow your exact steps. That way, other people would either replicate the issue or really see what's happening and provide an alternate way of selecting the correct color.

I can make a video but it's only happening if the color I'm trying to change is pure black or pure white. It's as if the program doesn't recognize what I'm selecting. Could something on my PC be causing it?
[Post New]

Here is a video. It only happens when it is pure black (0,0,0} if it's for example (0,2,0) for the rgb color space I can choose green or red or whatever color but I can't make the whole scene background that color.

CD Color selector
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
Thanks very much for the recording. In it, I can immediately see that you're trying to do something that the tool is not designed for.

I understand that you're trying to create a black background by throwing the exposure, brightness, and contrast to their extremes, but you haven't fundamentally changed anything about the underlying details, and the color replace tool is trying to accomodate you but it clearly ends up out of whack.

What you wanrt to finished video to look like? Should the outer area be completely empty, only green instead of black; or are you looking to keep some of the outer details just with a greenish cast?

If it's the first one, it would be SO much easier to just create a custom JPG/PNG mask in whatever color and apply that in PD. If it's more like the second option, please provide a sample of what you're hoping it will look like so we can help you figure out a good way to do that.

YouTube/optodata

DS365 | Win11 Pro | Ryzen 9 3950X | RTX 4070 Ti | 32GB RAM | 10TB SSDs | 5K+4K HDR monitors

Canon Vixia GX10 (4K 60p) | HF G30 (HD 60p) | Yi Action+ 4K | 360Fly 4K 360°
[Post New]
Quote Thanks very much for the recording. In it, I can immediately see that you're trying to do something that the tool is not designed for.

I understand that you're trying to create a black background by throwing the exposure, brightness, and contrast to their extremes, but you haven't fundamentally changed anything about the underlying details, and the color replace tool is trying to accomodate you but it clearly ends up out of whack.

What you wanrt to finished video to look like? Should the outer area be completely empty, only green instead of black; or are you looking to keep some of the outer details just with a greenish cast?

If it's the first one, it would be SO much easier to just create a custom JPG/PNG mask in whatever color and apply that in PD. If it's more like the second option, please provide a sample of what you're hoping it will look like so we can help you figure out a good way to do that.

I'm trying to make just a plain green background that I can take into PD and Chroma key. If there is another way to do that please let me know. I'm just doing what I've seen from tutorials.
tomasc [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 25, 2011 12:33 Messages: 6464 Offline
[Post New]
That video recording by Mouhamad proved to be very useful. The tutorials were not being followed again. I just duplicated what is seen in the recording. Near the end of the recording in the New Color section, the tolerance slider stayed at the default 30%. Moving it to 100% as shown in the tutorials solved the problem. Try it.
[Post New]
Quote That video recording by Mouhamad proved to be very useful. The tutorials were not being followed again. I just duplicated what is seen in the recording. Near the end of the recording in the New Color section, the tolerance slider stayed at the default 30%. Moving it to 100% as shown in the tutorials solved the problem. Try it.

The problem I'm having is that the program will not select the color I want. If I have an all black background and I want to change it to green it chooses white all the time
JL_JL [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Arizona, USA Joined: Oct 01, 2006 20:01 Messages: 6091 Offline
[Post New]
Quote The problem I'm having is that the program will not select the color I want. If I have an all black background and I want to change it to green it chooses white all the time

Mouhamad, I'd have to agree with you, CL has done something different with CD8, it's the order of which corrections are applied. Since you are adjusting to get black background, this has significant consequence. What is extremely easy to do in versions prior to CD8, I've not found a way to easy do in CD8. Attached pic from CD7 works as I think it should and does not have the anomaly of CD8.

Jeff
[Thumb - CD7_colorchange.PNG]
 Filename
CD7_colorchange.PNG
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
193 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
37 time(s)
AshWilliams [Avatar]
Member Location: Michigan Joined: Mar 28, 2013 23:38 Messages: 109 Offline
[Post New]

The problem I'm having is that the program will not select the color I want. If I have an all black background and I want to change it to green it chooses white all the time

It does seem to happen when something is pure black (0, 0, 0) in a video. You don't even need to first adjust any adjustment sliders first.

Mouhamad, what did CyberLink tech support say about the issue when you contacted them?

Ash

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Nov 04. 2019 01:09

[Post New]

Mouhamad, I'd have to agree with you, CL has done something different with CD8, it's the order of which corrections are applied. Since you are adjusting to get black background, this has significant consequence. What is extremely easy to do in versions prior to CD8, I've not found a way to easy do in CD8. Attached pic from CD7 works as I think it should and does not have the anomaly of CD8.

Jeff

So what is the solution?