Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
GOPRO HERO 6/7 lens correction
mgonzard [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Sep 21, 2019 11:10 Messages: 12 Offline
[Post New]
Whenever I intend to apply Fix/Enhance + Lens Correction to a GoPro Hero 6/7 video (any resolution FHD/4K) preview window goes black and I get this error on a just installed PD18-365:

Media Source Error Report :
Error type : Video cut
Material type : Video
Error information : Unknown
Material filename : F:\Video_Salida\ShadowEditFiles\GH011918_USH_RestaurantCumbresDelMartial_0.mp4
Detailed information : hr = 0x80040217, at ..\CES_Source\Src\CES_Engine\CES_MediaLoader.CPP:4497
Source filter GUID : E436EBB5-524F-11CE-9F53-0020AF0BA770
Splitter filter GUID : A05CDF6C-287E-47A1-A407-A477A8A5FDCA
Video decoder filter GUID : 8A0836E9-6E48-454D-8F68-507BC13F3D0B
Video hardware decoder filter GUID : 8A0836E9-6E48-454D-8F68-507BC13F3D0B

Sound is fine but no image. Worked (and still does) OK on PD16.
No matter what GoPro model I pickup. Just clicking Lens Correction kills the ideo.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Sep 21. 2019 11:57

JL_JL [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Arizona, USA Joined: Oct 01, 2006 20:01 Messages: 6091 Offline
[Post New]
It appears PD18 has incorporated a new video renderer for screen display, EVR, vs previous versions. Probably be some growing pains as it appears CL does not test too much or have a wide enough platform test base.

If you have it activated you might try to disable hardware decoding in pref > Hardware Acceleration and see if that helps you at all.

Jeff
mgonzard [Avatar]
[Post New]
WOW !!! Great suggestion Jeff.
Just tried it and it does the magic. WITH Hardware decoding Lens Correction makes video = black screen.
WITHOUT hardware decoding Lens Correction works fine and even a little difference on final appearance using Hero 6 or Hero 7 options.
Thanks for the advice. Problem solved !!!!
mgonzard [Avatar]
[Post New]
I was happy a bit too early. Disabling Hardware decoding solved the image preview being a black window when activating Lens Correction for Gopro video but after rendering the edited video there no image at all. Only when NOT applying Lens Correction PD18 produces an image.

No such problem on PD16 which I will continue enjoying. I regret the upgrade and paying the 365 subscription. This PD18 is crap. Dont upgrade if you use Gopros.
JL_JL [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Arizona, USA Joined: Oct 01, 2006 20:01 Messages: 6091 Offline
[Post New]
Can you post a screen shot of your produce settings, any chance you are using hardware encoding? If so, try a encode with just CPU and see how it goes.

Jeff
[Post New]
Hi mgonzard,

I feel your pain re things not quite right with PD18.
However, my GoPro 6 footage isn't one of the things I'm having a problem with !

Having read your post, I loaded up some GoPro 6 clips I'd recently used to make some videos in PD17.

I just trimmed the start and finish, then added a lens correction, and just for good measure I applied a LUT to bring out the clouds in the video...

The video seemed to produce correctly - then I went to look at the result in an independent viewer on the PC...

I was fearing the dreaded 'Sound no picture'... But Heh Presto !
All seemed fine with the video, lens correction and colour change as applied.
The video is great.

Now this doesn't help you at all, since I cannot replicate the problem.

I was using a clip copied straight from the camera - Hero 6 Black, recorded in 4K at 25 fps.
I was producing to 4K, h265, MP4 at 37Mbps

I applied lens correction and LUT.

I used hardware decoding activated.
I have a Ryzen 2700, nVidia 1070 8Gb (Correctly identified by PD 18), I have 32Gb RAM.

Are you using 50 fps ? - What resolution, fps and format are you rendering to ?

Gerry

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Sep 21. 2019 14:57

mgonzard [Avatar]
[Post New]
Attachments show PD18 settings.
Video sample is just some seconds filmed on a Hero 6 in 4K 30fps SuperView H264 enconding. Enclosed is MendiaInfor clip info.
PD18 is set for 4K UHD 2840x2160 30fps 73Mbs H264.
With or without Hardware Decoding output is just black video.
With hardware decoding ON the is no preview when applying Len Correction. Without it preiew is fine but no ouput.
Sound track OK.
PC is i7 8700 32Gb RAM 2x1Tb Samsung SSD drive and AMD Radeon 470 graphics card and Windows 10 x64
PD16 does everytinh fine as well as Davince Resolve 16.
[Thumb - PD18_Preferences.jpg]
 Filename
PD18_Preferences.jpg
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
597 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
4 time(s)
[Thumb - MediaInfo_clip_info.jpg]
 Filename
MediaInfo_clip_info.jpg
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
337 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
5 time(s)
[Thumb - Clip+LensCorrectionGoProH6SuperViewNoHardwareDecode.jpg]
 Filename
Clip+LensCorrectionGoProH6SuperViewNoHardwareDecode.jpg
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
535 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
3 time(s)

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Sep 21. 2019 15:29

mgonzard [Avatar]
[Post New]
Produce tab settings are on attachment
[Thumb - ProduceTab_settings.jpg]
 Filename
ProduceTab_settings.jpg
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
209 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
5 time(s)
JL_JL [Avatar]
[Post New]
Something not consistent with your info, your Mediainfo indicates a H.264 encoding, your ProduceTab_settings.jpg attached pic shows H.265. Make sure the "Fast video rending technology:" tab is not selected on your H.264 produce and try again.

Your AMD 470 can be very different than the Nvidia 1070 GPU experience so worth a try.

Jeff
mgonzard [Avatar]
[Post New]
Jeff, you are right but it was just my mistake.
I try H265 and captured that screen instead of the right H264, but none of them produces anything on the output.
Video is just black with or without hardware decoding/encoding. Just no combination of parameters produce any output when using Lens Correction. With Gopro normal fisheye lok any combination of settinbgs work OK.
mgonzard [Avatar]
[Post New]
After many attempts and all kind of parameter changing I reoved from my PC my AMD Radeon 479 graphics card and test rendering my Hero 6 test video just with the ASUS motherboard's Intel GPU and it renders fine with and without lens correction and hardware decoding/encodeing combination so it seems like PD18 doesnt like Radeon 470 card even PD16 and all other editors make no problem. AMD GPU drivers are up to date as well as Win 10's.

So I'm quitting my attempt to use PD. I'm not going to buy a differten GPU for more money than buying the full license of Davinci Resolve 16 at $299 with iut outstading lens correction (sorry it is not available on the free version) to solve my GoPro clips fisheye. PD16 has served me very well in the past but PD itself is so limited.

Thanks for the help to replying fellows.
ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Hi mgonzard -

I'm so late to the party, it's finished frown

I was just going to echo GerryQ's comments, because there are no issues here applying lens correction & fix/enhance to GoPro7 Black clips. Preview & produced files are as expected.

I tested in both PDR18 (perpetual) & PDR18 (subscription), but only on PCs with Nvidia GPUs. You've narrowed the issue to AMD GPUs, which fits with Jeff's earlier point about using "a wide enough platform test base."

Cheers - Tony
Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!
mgonzard [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thanks Tony for your reply.
Thanks for the valuable tutorials you produce. I've watched many of them and learned good tricks and techniques. Please keep on the good work.
Looks like there are things to be done by Cyberlink.
Greetings.

Miguel
Vezir [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Aug 28, 2019 02:58 Messages: 3 Offline
[Post New]
Hi. What I'm going to suggest is probably unrelated but just to be on the safe side, make sure codecs installed on your PC are working as intended. Maybe the video is produced fine but you can't watch it because of some broken codecs. I use K-Lite Codec Pack for codecs and Media Player Classic to play videos. Sometimes some codecs get broken for some reason, which results in some video files either not playing at all or I hear the sound but there's no picture. In such cases, I use the codec tweak tool that comes installed with the pack to auto fix problems and do a reset to the settings which fixes the playback issues most of the time. It's also a good idea to have a video player that comes with its own built-in codecs (like vlc player) to further investigate the problem. Hope this helps.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Sep 22. 2019 14:49

mgonzard [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hi Vezir, I've done all possible checks including updates to graphics card drivers (first step), made sure Windows has no pending updates and so did with Media Player Home Cinema (MPC), Video Lan Player (VLC) and Pot Player (4K player).

Even took the "MP4 rendered" video and played it on my MacBook Air and no image at all in every case.

When rendering output on the plain Intel GPU on the ASUS motherboard all test went fine. Not a sinle problem no matter what kind of setting I used. It's very clear that something is wrong with the AMD Radeon RX470 graphics card.

This morning I installed the free version on a different PC with very limited resources and althoug it took a very long time to create the output using on-board GPU the final video was 100% OK. Same result on both PC running PD16.

Thanks for you suggestion. Greetings
mgonzard [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hi all, to end these postings I want to tell everyone than even no solutiion was found to my problem and I'm sure it is related to something wrong with the AMD Radeon RX470 as this card becomes the only common factor on all tests, with PD18 working fine when removing such card.

I finally asked for a refund to Cyberlink as PD18 is useless for me at the moment and I´ve got today.
This speaks for a serious company taking care of its customers. I'm very satisfied doing bussines with them.
I hope issues will be fixed in a near future.
Thanks to everyone for their help.