Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Artifacts around transparent region in PIP
PowerMoristar [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Sep 04, 2019 15:23 Messages: 7 Offline
[Post New]
Hi. I had a problem, that I was trying to solve for a few weeks. It is solved now, so I'd like to share my experience for some other newbie to find later.

So I have a logo as a PNG image. It has a transparent background and some other transparent regions inside the logo (text, letters cutaway), which are then filled out by animation to create a handwriting effect.

To make it look like letters just appear on the canvas I use the same image but without cutaways as another layer behind the cut one. And for many-many days I was struggling with a black thin outline inside all transparent regions when I was adding the backdrop. I tried different formats, producing video, different colours, resolutions and the only thing that helped is the following.

Apparently, PD automatically adjusts project resolution (in the edit mode!) to be as big as possible based on the biggest video\image one has in ones project. After that - everything that is added to the project (like an image) is just stretched to fill the space. My original video clip was 2K video. When I added my image, which was a rectangle 1440 x 1440 - it was adjusted by PD to be within the video boundaries, which in its turn created artifacts in the bitmap, that were especially visible around transparency regions.

So I had to start over. I had to create a blank image of a 4K resolution (just in case and to fit my whole image, but you just select a standard resolution that fits your project - e.g. the resolution you plan to actually produce your videos in). I've centred my logo inside this new image just the way it should be positioned on the screen in my video. I then created a new project and made sure that this image was added to the project first. Then I also made the same steps for the background layer. and voila - no artifacts! And now I can add my logo to my other projects without those artifacts as well.

I'm sure there is some other way (a better one?) that I just don't know about, so please - if anyone has any suggestion - write them!

Keywords: alpha, transparency, PIP, artifacts, artefacts, layer, outline, issue, problem, resolution.