Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Cannot import any .avi files created by Fraps.
HalCon
Senior Contributor Location: Charlottetown, PEI Joined: Mar 01, 2008 10:36 Messages: 719 Offline
[Post New]
The Fraps AVI files that are in question here were supported in the 365 PD17 subscription that I have had since last December. I have used many hundreds of them in my projects that I worked over the 8 1/2 months that I have had the subscription. They only stopped working the day I updated the subscription to the PD18 version. I have thousands of them on my computer as of this minute.

I can also edit them in my PD11 that I have installed on the same computer. The upgrade to PD18 will not even recognize them.

Something in the coding of PD18 is very different from what we had in the PD17 version.

To StevenG - I have a copy of the screen Recorder from Cyberlink that came with my subscription, but I find the quality of the recordings is not up to the quality of the Fraps recordings. Also I am not as familiar with that program. I am using it some and will likely use it more in the future, when I get to know it better and learn more about using it.

With my ticket I submitted, Support is more concerned about my video drivers than they are about the actual problem. My video drivers have absolutely nothing to do with the types of videos Power Director will or will not load. My video drivers did not stop the PD17 version from loading and editing (very well I must say) these very same clips. Some change in their program has caused this misfortune.

Many people are obsessed with changing drivers. Some times it is a good thing to update drivers etc., but sometimes what you have is better than what is new. Case in point is the update to the subscription service of 365. The update is not near as good as what I had before. Program response to many mouse clicks is very slow. Entering the produce tab takes about a minute. Production start after clicking on the start button takes about 10 to 20 seconds. Pre-render selection in the editing screen takes from 10 - 20 seconds to start. These are just a few of the issues that I have noticed.

End of rant for this message. OS - Win11 Pro, Alienware R13, CPU - Intel Core I7-12700KF 12 CPUs), 16g DDR5 4400 RAM, Video - Geeforce RTX 3080ti 12g, PD11 & PD365
My YouTube
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
HalCon, have you tried the fix I mentioned in this earlier post?

Install FFDShow with the default values, then check the "Run video decoder configuration" box at the end. On the next screen, scroll down until you see Fraps and change the decoder form disabled to libavcodec and click OK.

Launch PD and see if the fraps clips will work like they did in PD17.

YouTube/optodata

DS365 | Win11 Pro | Ryzen 9 3950X | RTX 4070 Ti | 32GB RAM | 10TB SSDs | 5K+4K HDR monitors

Canon Vixia GX10 (4K 60p) | HF G30 (HD 60p) | Yi Action+ 4K | 360Fly 4K 360°
BarryTheCrab
Senior Contributor Location: USA Joined: Nov 06, 2008 22:18 Messages: 6240 Offline
[Post New]
This is not working for me, any AVI. Enabled Huffyuv everywhere I could find it.
I even tried changing the 4CC on a file, no worky.
Just a mess.
No response from my support ticket. HP Envy Phoenix/4thGen i7-4770(4@3.4GHz~turbo>3.9)
Nvidia GTX 960(4GB)/16GB DDR3/
Canon Vixia HV30/HF-M40/HF-M41/HF-G20/Olympus E-PL5.
Tape capture using 6 VCR, TBC-1000, Elite BVP4+, Sony D8 camcorder with TBC.
https://www.facebook.com/BarryAFTT
Vezir [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Aug 28, 2019 02:58 Messages: 3 Offline
[Post New]
Quote I know I'm late in the game here, but can I recommend that instead of using third-party programs like FRAPS and delGato to record your games and other screen action, you use PowerDirector's excellent, built-in Screen Recorder.

The video it captures is 100% compatible with the editor!

Hi. Screen capture plugins of video editing software don't always work with games. That's where fraps comes in. Just saying.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Sep 26. 2019 07:28

PowerDirector Moderator [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: New Taipei City, Taiwan Joined: Oct 18, 2016 00:25 Messages: 2104 Offline
[Post New]
Quote I have the subscription 365 version and PD11 installed.

Before the update to PD18, I was working on projects, many of them, that contained .avi files created by Fraps and by my dash cam. I can still import the clips from the dash cam, but PD18 cannot import the clips from Fraps. I get a media source error.

I am now unable to work on any projects that have the Fraps files included. I can still import these files into PD11 which is still installed on my system, but as we know I cannot open these projects with an earlier version.

Has anyone else encountered this problem? Can anyone who might have Fraps installed give it a shot to see if the error happens?..................

Hi,
CL have provided a hotfix to address this issue:

=========================================
Download the hot-fix module “MediaObj.dll” from the download link below :

https://download.cyberlink.com/ftpdload/cs/Temp/WinAVI_FrapsAVI/MediaObj.zip

Extract the ZIP file to get the hot-fix file MediaObj.dll.

Browse to the this folder on your PC:

C:\Program Files\CyberLink\PowerDirector18\runtime\mediacache

Find the file MediaObj.dll in the folder and rename it as the backup.

Copy the downloaded MediaObj.dll into the folder.

Launch PowerDirector and then check if the issue has been resolved.

***Please note that the hot-fix is for the AVI video produced by PowerDirector and the 3rd party software Fraps. Different AVI video might be encoded by different codecs.

If the hot-fix doesn’t work, please contact CyberLink Customer Support team.

Customer Support: https://www.cyberlink.com/support/contact-support.jsp

===========================================

Please note that this hotfix is not designed to solve the problem encountered by Barry.

@Barry, please see your PM inbox.

Thanks,

PowerDirector Moderator

For customer support related issues, please contact:
- Customer service: https://membership.cyberlink.com/support/customer-services.do
- Technical support: https://membership.cyberlink.com/support/service/technical-support.do
BarryTheCrab
Senior Contributor Location: USA Joined: Nov 06, 2008 22:18 Messages: 6240 Offline
[Post New]
I viewed the email from CL this morning. I am eager but have yet to respond. HP Envy Phoenix/4thGen i7-4770(4@3.4GHz~turbo>3.9)
ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Unfortunately, the hotfix had zero impact here. After replacing the MediaObj.dll in the appropriate folder, PDR18 still "stopped working" when importing FRAPS AVIs.

Tried the same trick with PDR17 (perpetual) and that had no effect either.

Tech Support contacted.

Cheers - Tony
Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!
HalCon
Senior Contributor Location: Charlottetown, PEI Joined: Mar 01, 2008 10:36 Messages: 719 Offline
[Post New]
To all those that have been following this thread.

I am happy to announce the my first attempt at importing my AVI Fraps files was a success.

Thank you Cyberlink.

Hal OS - Win11 Pro, Alienware R13, CPU - Intel Core I7-12700KF 12 CPUs), 16g DDR5 4400 RAM, Video - Geeforce RTX 3080ti 12g, PD11 & PD365
My YouTube
doktorfeelgud [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Apr 20, 2019 16:36 Messages: 2 Offline
[Post New]
I have similar problems but apparently my .avi files that used to work on powerdirector 17 is no longer supported by the new version. I contacted customer support and first they gave me the roundabout, asking me to update my graphics card, etc. After multiple exchanges, they finally admit that my AVI file format is "MS Video" and that's why I can't import it...

Very dissapointed as their only solution to this is for me to convert all my videos to an MP4 format before importing them. What a joke.

Do you guys have any better ideas?
Koen41 [Avatar]
Member Joined: Feb 15, 2016 09:05 Messages: 63 Offline
[Post New]
Quote I have similar problems but apparently my .avi files that used to work on powerdirector 17 is no longer supported by the new version. I contacted customer support and first they gave me the roundabout, asking me to update my graphics card, etc. After multiple exchanges, they finally admit that my AVI file format is "MS Video" and that's why I can't import it...

Very dissapointed as their only solution to this is for me to convert all my videos to an MP4 format before importing them. What a joke.

Do you guys have any better ideas?

I have the same problems with avi files with Canopus DV codec. This worked well in PD 17 but not in PD18.
Bernd the German moderator advised me to rename my clips from .avi into .mpg. I batch renamed all clips and replaced .avi with .mpg in the projectfile. Now I can edit my project but unfortunately when I play the project from the timeline PD18 crashes after some minutes but always at the beginning or end of a transition. I had no problems with PD 17 this version was stable as a rock.

I received a Hotfix from Support and now I can play a project with .avi clips (With Canopus DV codec) from the timeline.
Canopus codecpack V8.50.1927 needs to be installed.
However the PD18 project still crashes after some time

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Oct 05. 2019 11:24

BarryTheCrab
[Post New]
My Huffyuv hotfix did not work for many days//attempts.
Suddenly, for no reason, it started working but crashes when applying enhancements. HP Envy Phoenix/4thGen i7-4770(4@3.4GHz~turbo>3.9)
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
Quote My Huffyuv hotfix did not work for many days//attempts.
Suddenly, for no reason, it started working but crashes when applying enhancements.

What kinds of enhancements? Editing HuffYUV clips with a LUT, denoise and HDR seems stable here:

I'm using the "Hotfix" MediaObj.dll, if that matters.

YouTube/optodata

DS365 | Win11 Pro | Ryzen 9 3950X | RTX 4070 Ti | 32GB RAM | 10TB SSDs | 5K+4K HDR monitors

BarryTheCrab
[Post New]

What kinds of enhancements? Editing HuffYUV clips with a LUT, denoise and HDR seems stable here:
I'm using the "Hotfix" MediaObj.dll, if that matters.
First, I'm LOVING the clip! Second, Ican alter aspect ratio, anything else prompts the crash. HP Envy Phoenix/4thGen i7-4770(4@3.4GHz~turbo>3.9)
optodata
[Post New]
Yeah, it's a classic, all right

Honestly, I can't get PD18 to crash no matter what I do to that clip. Change the clip AR, use the PiP Designer, C/Z/P tool, Mask Designer, FX, Video Speed/Reverse. Not a single crash.

Just for fun, what happens if you rename a clip to .MP4 and then import it? Don't convert it, just rename it. PD works with HuffYUV clips over here with both .AVI and .MP4 extensions, and maybe it's the .AVI that's giving you trouble.

I just tried a MagicYUV clip renamed to .MP4 and PD loads it and will even display thumbnails on the timeline, but still gives me the Media Source error when I try to preview it, and then it crashes - but not with HuffYUV.

YouTube/optodata

[Post New]
I don't have any avi files that would make my PD18 crash (is not the 365). I have applied anyway the "fix".
If anyone has a small clip somewhere to download I can play with it to see what results I get.
optodata
[Post New]
Quote I don't have any avi files that would make my PD18 crash (is not the 365). I have applied anyway the "fix".
If anyone has a small clip somewhere to download I can play with it to see what results I get.

Sure. here's the clip I used.

I couldn't find any Fraps clips to test, but I think the hotfix has resolved that particular issue.

YouTube/optodata