Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Cannot import any .avi files created by Fraps.
HalCon
Senior Contributor Location: Charlottetown, PEI Joined: Mar 01, 2008 10:36 Messages: 719 Offline
[Post New]
I have the subscription 365 version and PD11 installed.

Before the update to PD18, I was working on projects, many of them, that contained .avi files created by Fraps and by my dash cam. I can still import the clips from the dash cam, but PD18 cannot import the clips from Fraps. I get a media source error.

I am now unable to work on any projects that have the Fraps files included. I can still import these files into PD11 which is still installed on my system, but as we know I cannot open these projects with an earlier version.

Has anyone else encountered this problem? Can anyone who might have Fraps installed give it a shot to see if the error happens?

I do not, at this time, have a small enough sample to attach.

Dxdiag and error pic attached.

System specs:
I7 3770
16 gig memory
500 gig SSD
8T hard drive storage (all 7200 rpm drives)

Ticket has been created CS002059429, but I know there are a few here that might have a good guess as to what I might be able to do while I wait for a reply from Cyberlink.

Thanks for any assistance offered.

Hal
 Filename
DxDiag01.txt
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
115 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
454 time(s)
[Thumb - error01.JPG]
 Filename
error01.JPG
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
26 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
7 time(s)

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Sep 19. 2019 19:22

OS - Win11 Pro, Alienware R13, CPU - Intel Core I7-12700KF 12 CPUs), 16g DDR5 4400 RAM, Video - Geeforce RTX 3080ti 12g, PD11 & PD365
My YouTube
BarryTheCrab
Senior Contributor Location: USA Joined: Nov 06, 2008 22:18 Messages: 6240 Offline
[Post New]
I cannot use any AVI lossless files. They all work in PD 17, 14, and 12.
My workflow is destroyed. HP Envy Phoenix/4thGen i7-4770(4@3.4GHz~turbo>3.9)
Nvidia GTX 960(4GB)/16GB DDR3/
Canon Vixia HV30/HF-M40/HF-M41/HF-G20/Olympus E-PL5.
Tape capture using 6 VCR, TBC-1000, Elite BVP4+, Sony D8 camcorder with TBC.
https://www.facebook.com/BarryAFTT
HalCon
Senior Contributor Location: Charlottetown, PEI Joined: Mar 01, 2008 10:36 Messages: 719 Offline
[Post New]
My workflow has been brought to a halt. Almost all of my current projects contain many or all Fraps captures.

I had a video that I wanted to complete tonight for release tomorrow. No way I have enough time to recreate the project in PD11 now. Oh well!!

Thanks for replying Barry.

Hal OS - Win11 Pro, Alienware R13, CPU - Intel Core I7-12700KF 12 CPUs), 16g DDR5 4400 RAM, Video - Geeforce RTX 3080ti 12g, PD11 & PD365
My YouTube
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
Quote My workflow has been brought to a halt. Almost all of my current projects contain many or all Fraps captures.

I had a video that I wanted to complete tonight for release tomorrow. No way I have enough time to recreate the project in PD11 now. Oh well!!

Thanks for replying Barry.

Hal

Like both of you, PD18 on my system does not work with lossless AVI files (HuffYUV, MagicYUV) but it does work with many older AVI dashcam clips.

HalCon, the best solution for you might be to use any 3rd party video converter, such as VLC, to convert your Fraps clips into MP4s, which PD should be able to work with properly.

For the moment, Barry is totally hosed because he needs to edit his clips using a lossless/intermediate codec, and PD currently isn't willing to play them at all.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Sep 20. 2019 01:30

YouTube/optodata

DS365 | Win11 Pro | Ryzen 9 3950X | RTX 4070 Ti | 32GB RAM | 10TB SSDs | 5K+4K HDR monitors

Canon Vixia GX10 (4K 60p) | HF G30 (HD 60p) | Yi Action+ 4K | 360Fly 4K 360°
ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Hal, Barry & optodata,

Hal - this won't help you at all, sorry. It's been years since I used Fraps, but I've just done a couple of sample recordings.

True: PDR18 won't import Fraps AVIs (stops working).
Also true: PDR17 fails in the same way.
Equally true: Fraps AVIs import & playback happily in PDR16, 15, 14 & 13 (and earlier versions, apparently).

Cheers - Tony
Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!
HalCon
[Post New]
Thanks for your reply Tony.

I have been using Fraps for quite a while now and was able to open them in the 365 version of PD17. The problem only started when I installed the upgrade to my subscription. I currently have between 15 and twenty projects on the go right now and most of them have .avi files that cannot be read. As we know I cannot go back to PD11 to open them and have no real idea what cuts and edits I have made in the projects.

I can also open these .avi files in my PD11 whick I still have installed.

I am not having a lot of luck with the Cyberlink Screen Recorder yet. Many times I find out I have only audio after a recording session. Probably operator error as it is new to me.

I have a reply to my ticket, but have not checked it yet. Will report back here after I have read the response.

Hal

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Sep 20. 2019 22:13

OS - Win11 Pro, Alienware R13, CPU - Intel Core I7-12700KF 12 CPUs), 16g DDR5 4400 RAM, Video - Geeforce RTX 3080ti 12g, PD11 & PD365
My YouTube
JL_JL [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Arizona, USA Joined: Oct 01, 2006 20:01 Messages: 6091 Offline
[Post New]
HalCon, here is what I would try. Make a backup of a given project content files. Take your avi files and convert to a h.264 type file with Handbrake (or PD11) keeping the same basic file properties, fps, frame size, so on. Rename each file to have the same name as your avi clips. So game1.avi was converted via Handbrake to game1.mp4 and so on.

You now have two viable options:
1) Simply use a txt editor and edit a given pds file and change all .avi to .mp4 following each name that it looks reasonable to change. One can then open this file in PD and not lose any edits, you will be working with the created h.264 files.
or
2) Move your game1.avi to a backup folder and then rename game1.mp4 to game1.avi. One can then open your pds file in PD and not lose any edits, you will be working with the created h.264 files renamed with the avi extension which should not cause any issue as the info needed is in a file header anyhow.

I think both options will at least get you going with no lost editing work. Yes, the computer needs to waste some time converting your avi's but at least you have not lost any edit work.

Just remember to work with backup files to preserve all your original work so in the event CL provides some fix you could use that option too.

A sad shame the quality of PD18 release and the debacle of the subscription plan, what a in your face for customers and the marketing delusion of calling it a "Professional Grade Video Editing" package.

Jeff
ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
I have been using Fraps for quite a while now and was able to open them in the 365 version of PD17

You're right Hal. Fraps AVIs work just fine with the subscription version of PDR17. I'd only checked the perpetual version when I made my earlier comment.

At least you have some workaround options, time-consuming though they may be.

Cheers - Tony
Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
Please see my response to a problem with PD18 and AVI files. I believe both problems have the same underlying issue.

Basically, download FFDShow and run it. Be sure you check the "FRAPS" codec box when installing. That may do the trick here as well!

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Sep 23. 2019 00:44

YouTube/optodata

DS365 | Win11 Pro | Ryzen 9 3950X | RTX 4070 Ti | 32GB RAM | 10TB SSDs | 5K+4K HDR monitors

Canon Vixia GX10 (4K 60p) | HF G30 (HD 60p) | Yi Action+ 4K | 360Fly 4K 360°
Mikebtp [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jun 17, 2019 12:05 Messages: 4 Offline
[Post New]
Good luck with AVI files everybody.

Support is now saying this:
With regard to your concern, after checking the AVI video, the video codec of the AVI video is UYUY video codec with 4:2:2 chroma sampling. Please be informed that this codec is not supported in PowerDirector.

The file that I sent them worked in version 17 of PowerDirector but not new version 18. So PD appears to be broken and they don't seem to want to fix it.
optodata
[Post New]
Quote Good luck with AVI files everybody.

Support is now saying this:
With regard to your concern, after checking the AVI video, the video codec of the AVI video is UYUY video codec with 4:2:2 chroma sampling. Please be informed that this codec is not supported in PowerDirector.

I'm not sure if you're referring to Fraps clips or AVIs in general. 4:2:2 sampling is most likely the roadblock for PD, but as I posted above, there's certainly a fix for HuffYUV and likely Fraps clips as well. It may also work for your UYUY clip.

If not, you could upload your sample clip to DropBox, OneDrive, Google Drive, etc and paste the link to it here and I can see if there's an easy way to get PD18 to edit it. You can always convert the clip with VDub2 or Handbrake to 4:2:0 and it should work.
HalCon
[Post New]
I got my second reply from Cyberlink Tech support, and I am not impressed with the reply.

After posting all the requested information, sample of the video included (less one minor detail). They requested I update my video drivers, but I have reasons why I will not do that. That is the only thing they responded to. My lack of updating the drivers.

Here is my response to Tech support on the reply I got:
"Just another further:
I have been using Power Director since around version 4 or 5 and have never run into problems like this.

I fail to see how the age of my Video driver has anything to do with the problem at hand. The video driver might affect how good or how long the editing takes, but has no effect on what types of files Power Director will recognize. I see on the forum where the type of file is or may not be supported any more. If this is the case, why not just say so, so I can find a video editing software that will work with the files.

If this is an issue that Cyberlink is going to ignore, then I feel that I and many others will have to pass on renewing the subscription service. We cannot have a working program that suddenly cannot be used after an update.

I will be posting this reply on the Members forum so that others are made aware of the response to my question."

Those here who know me, know that I have been around computers and software for a great number of years. What I said about the video drivers is true. Older drivers (mine are not that old) have no effect on what types of files Power Director will recognize. And, sometimes there are valid reasons to forgo updating some things just because there is an update available.

Many time over the years users were forced to roll back video drivers because they would not behave with Power Director. I think it was more prevelant with some NVIDIA drivers than it was in AMD drivers.

Case in point about updating just because there is an update available is this current update to Power Director. Except that, we cannot roll back to the PD17 version that worked properly.

I am sure that this is the first time since I joined this board that I have had anythig negative to say about Cyberlink, but it had to be said.

End of my rant for now.

Hal

edited to correct a small mistake.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Sep 23. 2019 18:47

My YouTube
Mikebtp [Avatar]
[Post New]

I'm not sure if you're referring to Fraps clips or AVIs in general. 4:2:2 sampling is most likely the roadblock for PD, but as I posted above, there's certainly a fix for HuffYUV and likely Fraps clips as well. It may also work for your UYUY clip.

If not, you could upload your sample clip to DropBox, OneDrive, Google Drive, etc and paste the link to it here and I can see if there's an easy way to get PD18 to edit it. You can always convert the clip with VDub2 or Handbrake to 4:2:0 and it should work.

Thanks for your reply. These AVI files were created with an older (2010-2012) Panasonic SD video camera and the problem I have with converting or doing anything with them is that they worked in version 17 of PD as well as other video editing apps.

Since it appears that others are also having problems too, Cyberlink should fix this bug rather than force us to do conversions or something else.

I just bought the subscription/365 program 3 months ago when it worked with my files. If their response to their bug is basically TOO BAD, then I won't be renewing or recommending their products. As far as I'm concerned, there's no excuse for this kind of "support".

Now, if I can revert to version 17, at least I'll have something I can work with until the end of my subscription.
BarryTheCrab
Senior Contributor Location: USA Joined: Nov 06, 2008 22:18 Messages: 6240 Offline
[Post New]
I’ve had ffdshow and K-lite mega installed for ages. But v18 will not budge. Might I add, for AVI lovers, using ffdshow within VirtualDub is pro-level restoration for free, but it’s not an editor.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Sep 24. 2019 09:11

HP Envy Phoenix/4thGen i7-4770(4@3.4GHz~turbo>3.9)
Nvidia GTX 960(4GB)/16GB DDR3/
Canon Vixia HV30/HF-M40/HF-M41/HF-G20/Olympus E-PL5.
Tape capture using 6 VCR, TBC-1000, Elite BVP4+, Sony D8 camcorder with TBC.
https://www.facebook.com/BarryAFTT
StevenG [Avatar]
Contributor Joined: Jan 14, 2014 14:04 Messages: 513 Offline
[Post New]
I know I'm late in the game here, but can I recommend that instead of using third-party programs like FRAPS and delGato to record your games and other screen action, you use PowerDirector's excellent, built-in Screen Recorder.

The video it captures is 100% compatible with the editor!
Mikebtp [Avatar]
[Post New]
WOW! Some customer support they have here. Instead of saying that this AVI type is NO LONGER supported in PowerDirector (as is the case) or that they've introduced a bug that they don't want to fix (or maybe this is the case), their sticking by the idea that it was never supported in PowerDirector based on their statements to me.

As I've stated earlier, my files weren't created by Fraps but by a Panasonic SD video camera from a few years ago.

I'm just glad I didn't put a lot of money into this software and hope to get at least a partial refund. I cannot deal with a company like this.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Sep 25. 2019 09:46

StevenG [Avatar]
Contributor Joined: Jan 14, 2014 14:04 Messages: 513 Offline
[Post New]
On the contrary, AVIs definitely ARE supported by PowerDirector. However, the AVI file is merely an envelope which can be made up of any of hundreds of possible codecs.

FRAPS and many other screen recorders use odd-ball codecs that are not well supported or edited by any video editor. That's not a shortcoming for the editor. It's the problem with the recorders which save to oddball codecs.

If you use the built-in Screen Recorder you'll get better performance all around AND you'll get screen captures you can actually edit!
Mikebtp [Avatar]
[Post New]
I didn't say AVIs are not supported, I said this type of AVI and my recordings are from a video camera from several years ago AND these same files worked in version 17 of PowerDirector but not in the latest version 18.
tomasc [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 25, 2011 12:33 Messages: 6464 Offline
[Post New]
I beleive that StevenG was addressing the Fraps avi capture by the OP, nothing to do the Panasonic avi files.
HalCon
[Post New]
The Fraps AVI files that are in question here were supported in the 365 PD17 subscription that I have had since last December. I have used many hundreds of them in my projects that I worked over the 8 1/2 months that I have had the subscription. They only stopped working the day I updated the subscription to the PD18 version. I have thousands of them on my computer as of this minute.

I can also edit them in my PD11 that I have installed on the same computer. The upgrade to PD18 will not even recognize them.

Something in the coding of PD18 is very different from what we had in the PD17 version.

To StevenG - I have a copy of the screen Recorder from Cyberlink that came with my subscription, but I find the quality of the recordings is not up to the quality of the Fraps recordings. Also I am not as familiar with that program. I am using it some and will likely use it more in the future, when I get to know it better and learn more about using it.

With my ticket I submitted, Support is more concerned about my video drivers than they are about the actual problem. My video drivers have absolutely nothing to do with the types of videos Power Director will or will not load. My video drivers did not stop the PD17 version from loading and editing (very well I must say) these very same clips. Some change in their program has caused this misfortune.

Many people are obsessed with changing drivers. Some times it is a good thing to update drivers etc., but sometimes what you have is better than what is new. Case in point is the update to the subscription service of 365. The update is not near as good as what I had before. Program response to many mouse clicks is very slow. Entering the produce tab takes about a minute. Production start after clicking on the start button takes about 10 to 20 seconds. Pre-render selection in the editing screen takes from 10 - 20 seconds to start. These are just a few of the issues that I have noticed.

End of rant for this message. OS - Win11 Pro, Alienware R13, CPU - Intel Core I7-12700KF 12 CPUs), 16g DDR5 4400 RAM, Video - Geeforce RTX 3080ti 12g, PD11 & PD365
My YouTube