Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
PD16 on 2 PC's
georgiejr [Avatar]
Newbie Location: Bacolod City, Philippines Joined: Feb 04, 2016 18:53 Messages: 38 Offline
[Post New]
I am planning to put 2 dedicated PD16, one on my new desktop since I have it already installed on my laptop. I usually go out of town every 2 weeks and would like to be able to edit while away and then when back home, to sync it to my desktop so I could continue to edit where I left off on my laptop. And also vice versa, if I edit on my desktop, I would like to be able to move it to my laptop and continue to edit where I left off on my desktop. In short, I would like to edit both in the laptop and desktop without having to encounter the message ".....file is not available," so option is to browse, ignore or ignore all (I think just moving the pds file will not suffice, since the media will not be readily available.

Any advise would be much appreciated and thank you.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Sep 14. 2019 20:32

Windows 10 64-bit on I7-2600 3.4GHZ
NVIDIA GeForce GT440
16MB DDR3 RAM
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
There are several ways to do this.

First, be aware that you are only allowed to install the lifetime (perpetual) version of PD16 on a single machine, so to be in compliance you will need to have purchased a second license. If you get the subscription version (PD 17/365, which will become PD18/365 next week), you are allowed to install and use the software on 2 machines, as long as they are not used concurrently.

You will have to have the same version of PD installed on each machine, because while new PD versions can read new and older project files, older PD versions can't work with projects created or saved in the new version. For example, PD17 can read PD16 .PDS files, but once you've saved the project in PD17, even if you haven't made any editing changes, PD16 will no longer be able to open that project.

The next part depends on how and where you plan to store your project files and source clips.

Ideally, both machines will have direct access to the folder(s), either on a USB drive or through a cloud service like Google Drive, OneDrive or Dropbox. Note that syncing the cloud folder on both machines may take a very long time, especially if you have lots of large source clips and/or slow internet speed.

In that case, a large USB flash drive might be better, especially if both computers have USB 3.0 ports, as it will likely take minutes rather than hours to transfer the files to the drive the first (and only) time. Then you simply need to bring that drive with you and connect it to the appropriate computer.

YouTube/optodata

DS365 | Win11 Pro | Ryzen 9 3950X | RTX 4070 Ti | 32GB RAM | 10TB SSDs | 5K+4K HDR monitors

Canon Vixia GX10 (4K 60p) | HF G30 (HD 60p) | Yi Action+ 4K | 360Fly 4K 360°
georgiejr [Avatar]
Newbie Location: Bacolod City, Philippines Joined: Feb 04, 2016 18:53 Messages: 38 Offline
[Post New]
Quote There are several ways to do this.

First, be aware that you are only allowed to install the lifetime (perpetual) version of PD16 on a single machine, so to be in compliance you will need to have purchased a second license. If you get the subscription version (PD 17/365, which will become PD18/365 next week), you are allowed to install and use the software on 2 machines, as long as they are not used concurrently.

You will have to have the same version of PD installed on each machine, because while new PD versions can read new and older project files, older PD versions can't work with projects created or saved in the new version. For example, PD17 can read PD16 .PDS files, but once you've saved the project in PD17, even if you haven't made any editing changes, PD16 will no longer be able to open that project.

The next part depends on how and where you plan to store your project files and source clips.

Ideally, both machines will have direct access to the folder(s), either on a USB drive or through a cloud service like Google Drive, OneDrive or Dropbox. Note that syncing the cloud folder on both machines may take a very long time, especially if you have lots of large source clips and/or slow internet speed.

In that case, a large USB flash drive might be better, especially if both computers have USB 3.0 ports, as it will likely take minutes rather than hours to transfer the files to the drive the first (and only) time. Then you simply need to bring that drive with you and connect it to the appropriate computer.

Thanks Optodata for your reply. So as long as you have a common storage for your media files that
both PC's can access, then that would resolve my problem. So no need to pack the project materials if you have this setup.

Again thank you. Windows 10 64-bit on I7-2600 3.4GHZ
NVIDIA GeForce GT440
16MB DDR3 RAM
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
Quote Thanks Optodata for your reply. So as long as you have a common storage for your media files that
both PC's can access, then that would resolve my problem. So no need to pack the project materials if you have this setup.

Exactly. You only need to pack project materials when the other computer can't directly access the source clips, like if you wanted to share a project with people on this forum.

YouTube/optodata

DS365 | Win11 Pro | Ryzen 9 3950X | RTX 4070 Ti | 32GB RAM | 10TB SSDs | 5K+4K HDR monitors

georgiejr [Avatar]
[Post New]

Exactly. You only need to pack project materials when the other computer can't directly access the source clips, like if you wanted to share a project with people on this forum.

Hi Optodta. I just noticed. First of all, when you make modifications to your project, when you save it, would it not reflect the current pc date in windows explorer. I've noticed that date doesn't change. Then just plain copy the pds file to my laptop and it asked if I wanted to replace the file and answered - replace. Opened up the same project on the laptop and the changes were not reflected on that version. No message of any files missing.

Please advise and thank you. Windows 10 64-bit on I7-2600 3.4GHZ
NVIDIA GeForce GT440
16MB DDR3 RAM
optodata
[Post New]
I'm afraid there's some missing info here.

First, make sure you have the "Date modified" column displayed in File Explorer. You might have "Date" or "Date created" showing, and those won't change, even when PD saves a new version.

Next, do you have both PCs set up to access the source clips? Did each open the same project correctly before you made the editing changes? Have you tried saving the project file in the same shared folder instead of copying the PDS file separately on each machine?

YouTube/optodata

georgiejr [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote I'm afraid there's some missing info here.

First, make sure you have the "Date modified" column displayed in File Explorer. You might have "Date" or "Date created" showing, and those won't change, even when PD saves a new version.

Next, do you have both PCs set up to access the source clips? Did each open the same project correctly before you made the editing changes? Have you tried saving the project file in the same shared folder instead of copying the PDS file separately on each machine?

Thank once again for your assistance. Windows 10 64-bit on I7-2600 3.4GHZ
NVIDIA GeForce GT440
16MB DDR3 RAM