Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Power Director 17/365 is using all CPU power
LLOYD1985 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jan 26, 2011 21:32 Messages: 23 Offline
[Post New]
I'm rendering a video and for the last week Power Director has been using almost 100% CPU usage while only using 23% GPU usage. Before the week it only used 60-70% CPU usage and 50% GPU usage. I haven't changed any settings or made any changes in my BIOS/UEFI.

Is anyone else experiencing this or is it just me?

https://imgur.com/a/VGmwMNF

Windows 10 Pro 64-bit 1903
ASUS Maximus IX Formula
Intel i7 7700K
32GB DDR4 1600Mhz
EVGA GTX 1080 FTW SLI
EVGA GTX 1080 FTW
Samsung 960 512 Pro
2560x1440px144Hz
EVGA 850w Supernova G2

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Sep 11. 2019 18:32

optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
There isn't necessarily anything unusual about high CPU usage, as it strongly depends on what PD (and also your computer) is doing at the time.

Did you only notice the issue when you were producing a video, or were shadow files still being generated while you were editing? Both of those situations can cause very high CPU demands. Same with 4K (or higher) resolution clips, depending on what GPU hardware you have installed and whether you're using hardware acceleration or not.

If you're using shadow files, the best thing to do is to let PD finish making them before doing any serious editing. You'll see the yellow icons on the Media Library icons turn green as each clip is processed. The same goes for temporary slowdowns, let PD sit for a minute and see if/how much the CPU load drops. Make a note of what you were just doing and see if there's a correlation when you start doing that again.

Post back with more details, especially the ouput profile you were producing to if that's when you noticed the issue, and we can try to assist you with specific suggestions. It would also help if you followed the steps in the Read Me Before Posting sticky thread so we can see the DxDiag results.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Sep 11. 2019 18:40

YouTube/optodata

DS365 | Win11 Pro | Ryzen 9 3950X | RTX 4070 Ti | 32GB RAM | 10TB SSDs | 5K+4K HDR monitors

Canon Vixia GX10 (4K 60p) | HF G30 (HD 60p) | Yi Action+ 4K | 360Fly 4K 360°
LLOYD1985 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jan 26, 2011 21:32 Messages: 23 Offline
[Post New]
Quote There isn't necessarily anything unusual about high CPU usage, as it strongly depends on what PD (and also your computer) is doing at the time.

Did you only notice the issue when you were producing a video, or were shadow files still being generated while you were editing? Both of those situations can cause very high CPU demands. Same with 4K (or higher) resolution clips, depending on what GPU hardware you have installed and whether you're using hardware acceleration or not.

If you're using shadow files, the best thing to do is to let PD finish making them before doing any serious editing. You'll see the yellow icons on the Media Library icons turn green as each clip is processed. The same goes for temporary slowdowns, let PD sit for a minute and see if/how much the CPU load drops. Make a note of what you were just doing and see if there's a correlation when you start doing that again.

Post back with more details, especially the ouput profile you were producing to if that's when you noticed the issue, and we can try to assist you with specific suggestions. It would also help if you followed the steps in the Read Me Before Posting sticky thread so we can see the DxDiag results.

I received a private mesage telling me to check the files themselves, I did that and it was indeed the files causing the 100% CPU usage. The files I'm rendering for some reason aren't using GPU Accelatoration, I tried other files and they did use GPU Accelatoration while using 60% CPU.

The issue is with the files and not with PowerDirector.