Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
How to get .xml timeline info in power director 16?
FilmEditor [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Feb 21, 2019 17:16 Messages: 2 Offline
[Post New]
I want to export my movie timeline to be edited by a third party editor with different software other than Cyberlink 16. I want to know if Cyberlink is capable of that in any way? Like a .xml file etc? So the editor will have the proper scene placement etc?
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
The project (.PDS) file is already in XML, but it's unlikely that any other editor would be able to read it and properly deal with all of the detailed instructions contained in it., especially since PD's programming specs are proprietary.

There is also no "export project" function that would somehow transfer all of the editing steps into a "portable" format for other editors to use. You can pack the project to be opened on another computer with the same (or newer) version of PD installed, but that's it.

YouTube/optodata

DS365 | Win11 Pro | Ryzen 9 3950X | RTX 4070 Ti | 32GB RAM | 10TB SSDs | 5K+4K HDR monitors

Canon Vixia GX10 (4K 60p) | HF G30 (HD 60p) | Yi Action+ 4K | 360Fly 4K 360°
[Post New]
Hello FilmEditor,

PowerDirector creates a project file in .pds format. I seriously doubt whether any other editing software would be able to read or interpret that data, just as PDR isn't equipped to interpret, for example, project files from AfterEffects in .aep format.

To my knowledge, there is no way to format the project data in any other way.

I'll move your question to the PDR forum.

PIX PIX YouTube channel
FilmEditor [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Feb 21, 2019 17:16 Messages: 2 Offline
[Post New]
Quote The project (.PDS) file is already in XML, but it's unlikely that any other editor would be able to read it and properly deal with all of the detailed instructions contained in it., especially since PD's programming specs are proprietary.

There is also no "export project" function that would somehow transfer all of the editing steps into a "portable" format for other editors to use. You can pack the project to be opened on another computer with the same (or newer) version of PD installed, but that's it.
What should I do if I want to send my film to the editor without rendering it and have all the scenes from my timeline in there proper place?
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
What should I do if I want to send my film to the editor without rendering it and have all the scenes from my timeline in there proper place?

Maybe it would help if you can explain your situation in more detail.

For example, what do you mean by "send my film to the editor?" PD IS an editor, which is how most people use it.

If the "editor" is a person with other software, maybe sending them the original clips along with a produced copy would allow them to at least approximately re-create your timeline, but I'm having a hard time understanding why you wouldn't simply use PD to produce the final video straight away.

YouTube/optodata

DS365 | Win11 Pro | Ryzen 9 3950X | RTX 4070 Ti | 32GB RAM | 10TB SSDs | 5K+4K HDR monitors

Canon Vixia GX10 (4K 60p) | HF G30 (HD 60p) | Yi Action+ 4K | 360Fly 4K 360°