Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
.pds files
Parol [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Sep 06, 2019 17:47 Messages: 6 Offline
[Post New]
How do I avoid saving my project as a .pds file? I produced it as mpeg and want to view on other media players.
PowerDirector Tutorials
Senior Member Location: Tennessee Joined: Sep 29, 2014 20:25 Messages: 192 Offline
[Post New]
Quote How do I avoid saving my project as a .pds file? I produced it as mpeg and want to view on other media players.

Does this help
http://www.vip-video-converter.com/articles/how-to-export-cyberlink-powerdirector-video-to-mp4-avi-flv-youtube/
Parol [Avatar]
[Post New]

Yes, but, if you produce in mpeg why will it not save as mpeg. This way I have to go through three conversions to get mpeg.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Sep 07. 2019 14:31

BarryTheCrab
Senior Contributor Location: USA Joined: Nov 06, 2008 22:18 Messages: 6240 Offline
[Post New]
Does this help
vip-video-converter.com/articles/how-to-export-cyberlink-powerdirector-video-to-mp4-avi-flv-youtube/
No, it’s a spam answer.
A pds file is a text file that is a roadmap for Powerdirector to open a project. It is not a video type.
tomasc [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 25, 2011 12:33 Messages: 6464 Offline
[Post New]
Quote How do I avoid saving my project as a .pds file?

Click No when it ask you to save the project. It is that easy...
Parol [Avatar]
[Post New]

Click No when it ask you to save the project. It is that easy...

Then how do you save this video that was just produced?
Parol [Avatar]
[Post New]
No, it’s a spam answer.
A pds file is a text file that is a roadmap for Powerdirector to open a project. It is not a video type.

I do not understand what you mean by "spam answer" Is that the only typeof file that can be produced. If so, then everyone has to have PowerDirector to view it.
tomasc [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 25, 2011 12:33 Messages: 6464 Offline
[Post New]
This tutorial may help: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dFgxMwe5lRk . You may want to produce in a different format after you view this.
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
Quote How do I avoid saving my project as a .pds file? I produced it as mpeg and want to view on other media players.

I think there is a big misunderstanding here.

Your PD project will always be saved as a PDS file, because that's the only way the PD can save the detailed editing instructions you've made to create your finished video. That is COMPLETELY SEPARATE from producing a video, which is how PD makes all of the edits permanant by cerating a finished video that can be played on any device.

The PDS file IS NOT a video file, nor is it playable in any way, on any device. The PDS file is just a detailed list of instructions telling PD exactly how to repeat the editing steps that you've you made to create your finished video, very much like a recipe.

Only PD can read the PDS file and act on it correctly, so for instance, you can't load it into another editor and have it make the same edits and give you an identical finished video. This is 100% intentional.

When you produce the finished video using PD, you can specify the exact resolution, encoding format, bitrate and video container type (such as MP4 or MPEG) and that produced video clip is what you would use to watch on your TV or tablet or computer. That produced video is fully self-contained and doesn't need PD to be played.

So when you're happy with your editing in PD and you "produce as mpeg" you've done exactly that, and the newly-created mpeg file is the finished product. End of story! Go and watch it!

Saving the project (PDS file) is how you can retrieve all of the existing edits that you've made later on. For example, if you wanted to make changes and produce a new version of the video, you'd want to start with the edits you've already made. Like tomasc suggested, you don't ever have to save tyhe project/PDS file if you don't want to, but that has nothing whatsoever to do with producing the video first.

Finally, there are no conversions or any other apps needed her at all! So please ignore that linked article.
Parol [Avatar]
[Post New]

I think there is a big misunderstanding here.

Your PD project will always be saved as a PDS file, because that's the only way the PD can save the detailed editing instructions you've made to create your finished video. That is COMPLETELY SEPARATE from producing a video, which is how PD makes all of the edits permanant by cerating a finished video that can be played on any device.

The PDS file IS NOT a video file, nor is it playable in any way, on any device. The PDS file is just a detailed list of instructions telling PD exactly how to repeat the editing steps that you've you made to create your finished video, very much like a recipe.

Only PD can read the PDS file and act on it correctly, so for instance, you can't load it into another editor and have it make the same edits and give you an identical finished video. This is 100% intentional.

When you produce the finished video using PD, you can specify the exact resolution, encoding format, bitrate and video container type (such as MP4 or MPEG) and that produced video clip is what you would use to watch on your TV or tablet or computer. That produced video is fully self-contained and doesn't need PD to be played.

So when you're happy with your editing in PD and you "produce as mpeg" you've done exactly that, and the newly-created mpeg file is the finished product. End of story! Go and watch it!

Saving the project (PDS file) is how you can retrieve all of the existing edits that you've made later on. For example, if you wanted to make changes and produce a new version of the video, you'd want to start with the edits you've already made. Like tomasc suggested, you don't ever have to save tyhe project/PDS file if you don't want to, but that has nothing whatsoever to do with producing the video first.

Finally, there are no conversions or any other apps needed her at all! So please ignore that linked article.

Thank you very much for the reply. Clears things right up. Before I produced I did specify a "Save As"location and the movie file saved there.