Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
PP_MOTION.TMP folders and hidden files
Stunt Double [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Sep 17, 2018 10:18 Messages: 9 Offline
[Post New]
Whenever I burn a DVD, PowerDirector creates a new folder in my designated Export Folder. The folders are named with a seemingly random number, then within them, there's another folder called "PP_MOTION.TMP". Within that folder, there's a hidden file called "PP_MOTION.TMP".

I could find very little on Google about this and when I search this forum, the only thing I could find was a reference to these files being generated when there's a burn error, but I'm burning just fine without any trouble.

Does anyone know what these are for and if it's normal?
JL_JL [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Arizona, USA Joined: Oct 01, 2006 20:01 Messages: 6091 Offline
[Post New]
Stunt Double, the seemingly random number of the top-level folder is the PID of the PDR.exe process, so it will be unique for every PD launch until recycled by Windows. The content of this folder is deleted upon a successful burn operation or a proper cancel. The high level PID folder is deleted upon exit of PD.

If either the burn and/or cancel did not finish properly, or PD crashed after a successful burn operation during other editiing, folders and/or content are often left.

Jeff
Stunt Double [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote Stunt Double, the seemingly random number of the top-level folder is the PID of the PDR.exe process, so it will be unique for every PD launch until recycled by Windows. The content of this folder is deleted upon a successful burn operation or a proper cancel. The high level PID folder is deleted upon exit of PD.

If either the burn and/or cancel did not finish properly, or PD crashed after a successful burn operation during other editiing, folders and/or content are often left.

Jeff

Hi Jeff,

Thanks for your time. Does that mean if they're not being deleted, something is wrong?
JL_JL [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Arizona, USA Joined: Oct 01, 2006 20:01 Messages: 6091 Offline
[Post New]
Quote Thanks for your time. Does that mean if they're not being deleted, something is wrong?

I'd surely say it's not normal, everything in the PID numbered folder as well as the folder itself should be removed when you quit PD.

Keep in mind, PD does create other hidden folders as part of simply launching PD and others when the Create Disc module is launched, some of these are not removed.

Maybe define a new path in pref > File > "Export folder:" and then create a new DVD and quit PD, post a picture of what you see remaining in the "Export folder" directory.

Jeff
Stunt Double [Avatar]
[Post New]

I'd surely say it's not normal, everything in the PID numbered folder as well as the folder itself should be removed when you quit PD.

Keep in mind, PD does create other hidden folders as part of simply launching PD and others when the Create Disc module is launched, some of these are not removed.

Maybe define a new path in pref > File > "Export folder:" and then create a new DVD and quit PD, post a picture of what you see remaining in the "Export folder" directory.

Jeff

Thanks Jeff; I did that and attached a screenshot of what's in the folders as well as the file path. The folder MVDE8D3.tmp and it's contents are hidden files. The contents are MPG files of the menu template I'd used when creating the DVD. Any advice you may have is apreciated.
[Thumb - PP_MOTION Files.PNG]
 Filename
PP_MOTION Files.PNG
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
138 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
3 time(s)
JL_JL [Avatar]
[Post New]
Stunt Double, that appears to be a programing hack that surfaced, it does not affect all menus but it does affect that Baby Room template as well as others. That same menu in PD16 works as expected and the PID folder is deleted upon exit, not in PD17 release 3005 though as you have seen and I have also replicated

Best one can do for now is manually delete them when you exit PD.

Jeff
Stunt Double [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote Stunt Double, that appears to be a programing hack that surfaced, it does not affect all menus but it does affect that Baby Room template as well as others. That same menu in PD16 works as expected and the PID folder is deleted upon exit, not in PD17 release 3005 though as you have seen and I have also replicated

Best one can do for now is manually delete them when you exit PD.

Jeff

Thanks again Jeff. I've burned about 15 DVDs since upgrading to PD17 and these files total up to nearly 500MB, so I thought they must be of some importance. I really appreciate your help.

With gratitude,
John
JL_JL [Avatar]
[Post New]
They are of no importance after the burn is complete, no harm in deleting them.

In addition to the PID folder cleanup hack CL developers introduced, it appears they introduced a hack in the "Save as disc image" feature too. Too bad, they may get corrected but with the next version of PD right around the corner, any significant updates really dwindle.

Jeff