Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
PC being upgraded from Windows 7 to 10
Trevo [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jun 18, 2019 07:49 Messages: 3 Offline
[Post New]
Hi, search has failed me so far so here's my question, I've recently purchased a hardcopy of Powerdirector 16 and installed it on my Laptop, its great but now i'm about to upgrade to Windows 10, can I just uninstall it then reinstall it or will it be stuck as registered already (to my Win7 OS) and not work on the same PC that has just been forced by Microsoft to upgrade to Windows 10?

If so how do I unregister my copy so it can be reinstalled on a different operating system?

cheers

Trevor
tomasc [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 25, 2011 12:33 Messages: 6464 Offline
[Post New]
Quote Hi, search has failed me so far so here's my question, I've recently purchased a hardcopy of Powerdirector 16 and installed it on my Laptop, its great but now i'm about to upgrade to Windows 10, can I just uninstall it then reinstall it or will it be stuck as registered already (to my Win7 OS) and not work on the same PC that has just been forced by Microsoft to upgrade to Windows 10?

If so how do I unregister my copy so it can be reinstalled on a different operating system?

cheers

Trevor

You don't need to unregister PD16. Microsoft is not forcing a pc to be upgraded to win 10 without cost. After your win 10 upgrade simply reinstall PD16 if it is not working properly. End of story. I can't get a win 10 upgrade for free. That was 5 years ago when it was offered for free.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Sep 03. 2019 11:11

optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
Unless you're doing a clean install of Win10, you don't need to uninstall PD16 or any other app/program. If there's an incompatibility, Windows may uninstall it automatically during the upgrade to Win10 but there's no issue tying PD to any particular OS version on that PC. As tomasc said, simply reinstall PD16 if needed.

YouTube/optodata

DS365 | Win11 Pro | Ryzen 9 3950X | RTX 4070 Ti | 32GB RAM | 10TB SSDs | 5K+4K HDR monitors

Canon Vixia GX10 (4K 60p) | HF G30 (HD 60p) | Yi Action+ 4K | 360Fly 4K 360°
Trevo [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hi all, thanks for your replies but I am doing a HDD format & clean install of Windows 10 (its a work PC so I have no option) and want to know if I can just install PD10 to Windows 10 and it will go to the server and say "yes you can install me" or "No your copy is already registered you must unregister it 1st from the other PC" which I won't be able to do as I will have written over my Windows 7 install.

cheers

Trevor
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
The safest course of action is to always uninstall the app before installing it on any other machine, even if it's the same machine with the same OS. In your case, it will be a different OS, but once PD is uninstalled it's automatically available to be installed on another system.

If you have any 3rd party packs that you've purchased separately, especially NewBlueFX, you will need to deactivate each pack from within PD before uninstalling them individually after PD is gone.
Trevo [Avatar]
[Post New]
Just a status update, I followed the advice and after uninstalling and then reinstalling on my new Windows 10 Laptop, all activated fine (including extra content).

Many Thanks to all.

Trev.
tomasc [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 25, 2011 12:33 Messages: 6464 Offline
[Post New]
Thank you for the feedback.