Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
4k Confusion
doublethr33 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jun 23, 2018 05:57 Messages: 40 Offline
[Post New]
I am still confused on being able to edit and burn 4k content. All of the various editing softwares advertise as you being able to edit 4k content, but when I research about burning UHD, it says you generally can't unless you have one of the Pioneer UHD burners and intel cpu.

Is that just for copyrighted 4k movies? What about 4k content you create on your own camera or camcorder? Do you just burn that onto a standard BR disc and it would play as 4k?

This message was edited 3 times. Last update was at Sep 01. 2019 23:41

StevenG [Avatar]
Contributor Joined: Jan 14, 2014 14:04 Messages: 513 Offline
[Post New]
You can certainly edit 4K video in PowerDirector and you can output a 4K Mp4 from your project.

Though it sounds like you're trying to output a 4K disc -- something that will play on a 4K disc player. That's a whole other beast, and few programs support this type of output.

What you are ultimately trying to create and how do you plan to play or display it?
ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Hi doublethr33 -

Forum member Eugene [Eugen157] has been on a quest for years to resolve this issue for himself. You'll find some useful information in these threads:

https://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/76371.page
https://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/64270.page

Bottom line is, as Steven said above, 4K/UHD Blurays need to be created using other software.

Cheers - Tony
Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!
doublethr33 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thanks for the responses. I don't understand why it has to be so complicated to do it, but you can play 4k content on BR players if you use data discs or usb drives.

So what do people normally even do with their edited 4k content if they can't burn them to disc? Watch only on the pc and/or do data discs?

I went to a lot of trouble and expense geting pc parts aimed at fast 4k editing, without thinking through how to burn discs. lol.

What i want to do is:

1. be able toi VIEW 4k movies on a pc, ie a UHD reader, not writer needed there.

2. edit 4k video from a personal camera or camcorder and burn that to a disc that could play in a player.

Just seems really odd that I'd have to use data discs instead. That is far less ideal because watching content that way tends to ahve more issues with freezing. The companies are so worried about the 0.01% of people who pirate copyrighted stuff they make everything difficult for people who wouldn't do that.
ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
I'm not pretending to understand the technicalities but, given that only a limited number of applications can create 4K/UHD discs it (a) may not be as simple as imagined or (b) may not be in strong demand.

Personally, I burn BR/DVD only for other people (if that's their preference). Most home videos are shared via USB drive (effectively a data disc). For my own viewing I copy to external HHD and view on UHD TV.

BUT - if I had a need for 4K/UHD discs, I'd consult with people like Eugene to learn the pitfalls & plusses.

Cheers - Tony
Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
Quote So what do people normally even do with their edited 4k content if they can't burn them to disc? Watch only on the pc and/or do data discs?

I'll add this to what Tony just said - I haven't burned anything to a disc in years.

All my HD, 360 and 4K content is produced to MP4, MKV or M2TS video files that can be played directly on a computer, or copied to USB drives, or shared via a cloud folder on OneDrive (Google Drive and DropBox are other popular alternatives). Almost all of my vids also go on YouTube, which all modern TVs can directly access.

In short, discs are dinosaurs in my opinion and there are many ways of getting high quality video where you want it to go.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Sep 02. 2019 17:32

doublethr33 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Well, thanks for the info, everyone. I typically do just sue a usb drive myself, as well, but the players more frequently freeze and forward/reverse through the content is slower when on usb/data discs than when on a BR disc. So I was really hoping I could burn to disc (not just data disc).

What about playing UHD discs, by the way? Have any of you played UHD discs (so officially released movies) on a pc via a BR drive? Or even playing is hard to accomplish?

Not that I really care about playing movies on a pc... But justs eems odd that it's so difficult to watch a movie without having to stream.

Also, another problem with data discs is about every BR player seems to fail playing some types of files that some others play fine.

edit: I did just see that an upcoming version of a software I have used before says it will fully encode 4k content and that software is meant for burnign discs, so will see more of what they have to say, but there software is for tkaing files and buring to disc, not a software with all of the effects and whatnot that powerdirector and other editing software includes.

I guess i could sue PD or some other software to edit, then use this other software to create the discs (if it indeed works for that).

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Sep 03. 2019 01:00

[Post New]
BR UHD discs supposedly provide a much better quality than any streaming. That being said, for majority of people, streaming is "good enough".
I personally have subscription to three 4k streaming services, plus youtube and don't own a BR disc player.
With the advent of cheap high capacity USB and even SD memory, the optical medium lost importance, now is used mostly for distribution of copy protected movies.
A triple-layer BR holds 100GB and allows speed of 128Mbps, requiring expensive players:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ultra_HD_Blu-ray

On my desk I have three USB 3.0 sticks sized 128GB and several 64GB, with read speeds of 150Mbps.
This is one of ones that I have, that costs $25:
https://www.amazon.com/SanDisk-Ultra-128GB-Flash-Drive/dp/B01BGTG2A0
There are models that hold 256GB, with speeds at 300Mbps, for less than $40:
https://www.amazon.com/Samsung-BAR-Plus-256GB-MUF-256BE3/dp/B07BPKKTGL
https://www.amazon.com/Samsung-MUF-256AB-AM-Plus-256GB/dp/B07D7Q41PM

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Sep 04. 2019 04:49