Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Is PowerDirector only "365" now?
Russell1967
Senior Member Location: Kissimmee, Fl USA Joined: Aug 10, 2013 23:35 Messages: 165 Offline
[Post New]
I'm not seeing any references to PowerDirector in the products page that are not "365". Is this the only option now? I hope not because the reason I haven't gone for the 365 option is because it forces me to stay current, effectively "upgrading" to versions that I may not like. For example, I'm still on version 15 because 16 and 17 didn't have any major things I needed, BUT I'm still able to use 15, which would not be the case going forward with the "365" option (I assume it stops working if you stop the monthly payments!)

Looks like Adobe has influenced Cyberlink. System specs: Windows 7 Professional x64; Gigabyte Z77-DS3H motherboard with i5-3579K 3.8Ghz processor with 32GB RAM; Zotac GTX 760 w/4GB; 1xWestern Digital 1TB 10,000RPM HD; 1x Samsung 840 Pro SSD System Drive
AshWilliams [Avatar]
Member Location: Michigan Joined: Mar 28, 2013 23:38 Messages: 109 Offline
[Post New]
It's there.

https://www.cyberlink.com/store/powerdirector-video-editing-software/buy_en_US.html?affid=2581_1369_540

You just need to click the "See all plans & pricing" link.

Ash
Russell1967
Senior Member Location: Kissimmee, Fl USA Joined: Aug 10, 2013 23:35 Messages: 165 Offline
[Post New]
Well that's good to know. Thanks! (Otherwise I was going to be very disappointed...)

Russell1967
[Post New]
The 365 version seems to be pushed very heavily and probably because it makes more money. Agreed: updated software is not in everyone's best interest since hardware technology is not upgradable in most instances.
[Post New]
Hope not...

Subscription only = End of Cyberlink
[Post New]
If CyberLink ever goes subscription-only, that will be the end of me using the product. NO software product will ever be allowed to sink any hooks into my paycheck. CyberLink is really flirting with disaster here.

The biggest part of the problem, other than the software becoming more expensive to use (do the math), is that once a company shifts a product over to the subscription model, there is no longer any incentive for the company to actually fix anything - the customer is already paying the money if any thing improves or not. It means constant income for the company regardless of product quality.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Sep 17. 2019 00:29

Dekker [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Feb 13, 2007 15:49 Messages: 12 Offline
[Post New]
Looks like v18 is just released. "Media Suite" development on the other hand seems to be killed. Still on v16, whereas it usually bumps a version prior to a new PD release.
[Post New]
Quote Looks like v18 is just released. "Media Suite" development on the other hand seems to be killed. Still on v16, whereas it usually bumps a version prior to a new PD release.

I looked at all the "New Features" of v18. Nothing there that I can identify as being big enough to warrant a new version title. They are all very minor enhancements (17.1"). Sticking with 16. I installed 17 and it crashed when I went to create blurays. I also found it to be strangely sluggish - sluggish enough to warrant turning on shadow files to keep the timeline from skipping, which 16 doesn't do on my system. So I went right back to 16 and turned shadow files back off. 16 is the best version released to date. Solid as a rock, no problems of any kind on my system.