Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Rotation setting in PiP Designer not obeying keyframes
RichLux [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Nov 09, 2007 16:50 Messages: 12 Offline
[Post New]
I'm using motion and rotation in the PiP designer to make a photo spin into view pause and then spin out of view. The keyframes for position are working fine and the picture comes into view, pauses, and exits. However, the keyframes for rotation are not doing anything. Whenever I change the rotation value, it changes it for the entire clip and not just the keyframe I am on. Is this a bug or by design and is there another way to do what I am trying to do?

Thanks,
Rich
JL_JL [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Arizona, USA Joined: Oct 01, 2006 20:01 Messages: 6091 Offline
[Post New]
Appears fine for me in a replication of your description. Just remember the rotations are not cumulative, they are total from original, so two rotations of 20 at two keyframes will do nothing.

If you still have issues use one of the sample clips and post the pds file for issue replication.

Jeff
RichLux [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote Appears fine for me in a replication of your description. Just remember the rotations are not cumulative, they are total from original, so two rotations of 20 at two keyframes will do nothing.

If you still have issues use one of the sample clips and post the pds file for issue replication.

Jeff

Thanks for you reply. I'm happy to post the PDS file, but I don't think PD is saving the info. I'm attaching a screen recorder video of my issue. You'll notice that I set the rotation for the first keyframe and when I change it for the second keyframe, it changes the first also. Same thing happens when I change the third keyframe.... all the keyframes change.

Thanks,
Rich
 Filename
Rotation Issue.mp4
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
1393 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
191 time(s)
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
Try this. Clear all keyframes, move the scrubber to the start and set the rotation to 0. Move the scrubber to the end and set the rotation to 1800 (5 full rotations). Return the scrubber to the beginning and click Play.

Next. drag the end keyframe to the 1 second mark, then right click at the 4 second mark and choose Duplicate previous keyframe. Finally, go to the end and place a new keyframe with the rotation set to 3600 (or 0 to rotate back in the opposite rotation) direction.

This message was edited 4 times. Last update was at Aug 25. 2019 12:50

YouTube/optodata

DS365 | Win11 Pro | Ryzen 9 3950X | RTX 4070 Ti | 32GB RAM | 10TB SSDs | 5K+4K HDR monitors

Canon Vixia GX10 (4K 60p) | HF G30 (HD 60p) | Yi Action+ 4K | 360Fly 4K 360°
JL_JL [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Arizona, USA Joined: Oct 01, 2006 20:01 Messages: 6091 Offline
[Post New]
RichLux, adjust your rotations in "Properites" tab "Object Settings" in the "Rotation" are not the "Motion" tab that you are in. I think it will make more sense for you and the values you have defined at your existing keypoints will have values.

Jeff
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
I'm going to take that back. Everything works properly if I use the Rotation keyframes under Properties > Object Settings:

But the Rotation Settings on the Motion tab (which your screen captures shows) are completely ineffective. I've never even seen that setting before, so I'll do some experimenting and see whay I can come up with.

In the meantime, use the keyframes under the Properties tab like JL_JL has also suggested.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Aug 25. 2019 12:49

YouTube/optodata

DS365 | Win11 Pro | Ryzen 9 3950X | RTX 4070 Ti | 32GB RAM | 10TB SSDs | 5K+4K HDR monitors

optodata
[Post New]
So the short answer is the Rotation Settings on the Motion tab is a single setting that afffects the object over the full duration of the motion path you've selected. End of story. That also means it's not the right tool when you want to do different sets of rotations!

It's also quite confusing, because choosing a path automatically sets position keyframes, but the rotation setting ignores or overwrites the keyframes set under the properties tab yell

Try this: Chose a new path from the Motion tab, then set the rotation keyframes under the Properties tab as explained in my earlier post. Don't use the setting you tried to use the first time. That combination (using the ease-in and ease-out options) will give you this result:

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Aug 25. 2019 13:11

YouTube/optodata

RichLux [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote RichLux, adjust your rotations in "Properites" tab "Object Settings" in the "Rotation" are not the "Motion" tab that you are in. I think it will make more sense for you and the values you have defined at your existing keypoints will have values.

Jeff

Thanks Jeff! That worked. So, do you know what the Rotation setting in the Motion tab would be used for?

Rich
RichLux [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote I'm going to take that back. Everything works properly if I use the Rotation keyframes under Properties > Object Settings:

But the Rotation Settings on the Motion tab (which your screen captures shows) are completely ineffective. I've never even seen that setting before, so I'll do some experimenting and see whay I can come up with.

In the meantime, use the keyframes under the Properties tab like JL_JL has also suggested.

Yup. I did what Jeff suggested and it worked. I think Cyberlink should remove the Rotation setting from the Motion tab becuase it just messes things up.

Rich
JL_JL [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote Thanks Jeff! That worked. So, do you know what the Rotation setting in the Motion tab would be used for?

Seems like it still has value, keep in mind, at one time there was no keyframe rotation in PIP, just in the motion tab. To me it's still a easy way, or another way, to prescribe a rotation as the object moves across the screen. Regardless of what motion, what path, added path keypoints, it goes through that prescribed rotation start to finish.

Jeff
ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
We've been here before, probably more times than I can remember.

Wherever the keyframes are added, they can also be set in Keyframes (not in PiP Designer) - so there are different ways to get the same result.

Cheers - Tony
Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!