Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Text is not well defined
[Post New]
PD 16 user, version 16.0.3424.0

In my videos, the text looks very undefined, the edges of the text are not sharp. I hadn't noticed this until the last few videos I've done.

Any suggestions?
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
What profile are you producing to? If you're using titles in PD for your text and you're producing to 720 or above (like HD or 4K), your text should be sharp and clear.

If you're producing to anything like 480, it will be jagged. Same if you're using text from an image that has to be scaled/zoomed in on the be the right size.

Any examples you can give, like screenshots of PD's timeline, or of the final clip, would be very helpful to understand what's happening.

YouTube/optodata

DS365 | Win11 Pro | Ryzen 9 3950X | RTX 4070 Ti | 32GB RAM | 10TB SSDs | 5K+4K HDR monitors

Canon Vixia GX10 (4K 60p) | HF G30 (HD 60p) | Yi Action+ 4K | 360Fly 4K 360°
[Post New]
Quote What profile are you producing to? If you're using titles in PD for your text and you're producing to 720 or above (like HD or 4K), your text should be sharp and clear.

MPEG-2 1920 x 1080/60i (25 mbps) is the profile.
[Post New]
I have noticed the same thing where the letters seem to be clipped. This shows up in the text editing window as well as any final production. See clips
Arial 20, no kerning, fontface.
[Thumb - Poor text.JPG]
 Filename
Poor text.JPG
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
14 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
14 time(s)
[Thumb - Bad text 2.JPG]
 Filename
Bad text 2.JPG
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
21 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
10 time(s)
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
Quote I have noticed the same thing where the letters seem to be clipped. This shows up in the text editing window as well as any final production. See clips
Arial 20, no kerning, fontface.

Wow, that's terrible. I've seen PD have difficulties with non-western fonts, and also if the font was installed as TrueType (.TTF) instead of OpenType (.OTF), but I've never seen a standard Windows font look that bad.

I think this should be reported to Cyberlink using the support web page. You'll need to run the DxDiag test as described in the Read Me Before Posting guidelines, and it would also help if you could tell them if this is a new problem and whether it happens with other fonts or when you change the point size, use kerning, or use a differently weighted version of the same font, like Arial Black, etc.

You can also refer them back to this forum thread by including the URL in your problem description. Once you submit the issue, you'll get a ticket number that starts with CS followed by a bunch of numbers. Please post that back here to close the loop.

YouTube/optodata

DS365 | Win11 Pro | Ryzen 9 3950X | RTX 4070 Ti | 32GB RAM | 10TB SSDs | 5K+4K HDR monitors

[Post New]

Wow, that's terrible. I've seen PD have difficulties with non-western fonts, and also if the font was installed as TrueType (.TTF) instead of OpenType (.OTF), but I've never seen a standard Windows font look that bad.

I think this should be reported to Cyberlink using the support web page. You'll need to run the DxDiag test as described in the Read Me Before Posting guidelines, and it would also help if you could tell them if this is a new problem and whether it happens with other fonts or when you change the point size, use kerning, or use a differently weighted version of the same font, like Arial Black, etc.

You can also refer them back to this forum thread by including the URL in your problem description. Once you submit the issue, you'll get a ticket number that starts with CS followed by a bunch of numbers. Please post that back here to close the loop.

Thanks, I submitted this to support.
[Post New]
I opened one of these video to look at what text font I had used (was used by default). It was one I hadn't used in anything other than videos before, so I changed it to Times New Roman, a very common font I've used in everything computer related. It looked much better on the text screen. However, when I inserted it into the video, it was the same problem only worse. The letters looked like they were dripping water.

Havent had time to try others.

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Aug 28. 2019 21:34

[Post New]
Quote I opened one of these video to look at what text font I had used (was used by default). It was one I hadn't used in anything other than videos before, so I changed it to Times New Roman, a very common font I've used in everything computer related. It looked much better on the text screen. However, when I inserted it into the video, it was the same problem only worse. The letters looked like they were dripping water.

Havent had time to try others.

Tech support asked me to update my video card drivers however I explained to them I have had this problem on a windows 7 workstation. I like your "dripping water" description, if fits.
[Post New]
Update. Tech support told me the problem was turned over to engineering but sugested I upgrade to 17 as it is supose to have better text export. Not sure I want to "buy" a fix.
[Post New]
Quote Update. Tech support told me the problem was turned over to engineering but sugested I upgrade to 17 as it is supose to have better text export. Not sure I want to "buy" a fix.

Wow, that kinda sucks...
optodata
[Post New]
Well, they might have a point, since I haven't seen anything like that on PD17, and the easiest way to tell is to download the trial version of PD17 and see if it works better or not. There's no cost to do so, but you won't be able to work with 4K files, and there are a few other restrictions.which are shown in the Download Information section on the US version's download page.

Also, PD18 will be out next week, and you can then see if the new features are interesting enough to upgrade at that point.

YouTube/optodata

[Post New]
thanks for the tip on 18, will keep my eye on it.