Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Synchronize L/R Channels
Phil_cbd [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jan 20, 2017 01:15 Messages: 11 Offline
[Post New]
Sorry, but this is so basic I think I must be missing something. Recorded with an 'on camera' mic for ambiant sound - channel 1, and a line feed from the sound desk of on stage mic on channel two. Of course, there is a difference in the timing of the two channels. How do I drag or slide one channel relative to the other - basically syncronizing the the two channels?
AVPlayVideo
Senior Contributor Location: Home Joined: Apr 06, 2016 19:03 Messages: 703 Offline
[Post New]
Quote Sorry, but this is so basic I think I must be missing something. Recorded with an 'on camera' mic for ambiant sound - channel 1, and a line feed from the sound desk of on stage mic on channel two. Of course, there is a difference in the timing of the two channels. How do I drag or slide one channel relative to the other - basically syncronizing the the two channels?

A suggestion I thought now.
Save L channel only in new file
Do the same for channel R
Now with add the 2 files in the MIX room one below the other using 2 tracks.
You can now drag one or the other to sync.
If you have PowerDirector you can sync automatically
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
I don't think this is basic at all. In almost every situation, you'd expect the audio tracks on a single clip to be in sync and you'd only have to deal with syncing issues if you were working with multiple clips.

In your case, the sound board must have been pretty far away from the stage to have a noticeable audio lag, so here's one way to sync the two channels (it's basically the same idea that AVPlayVideo suggested):

At that point, you'll have two new stereo clips, one with only L audio and the other with only R. At that point, I'd import them into PowerDirector, put both on the timeline and use Sync by Audio.

In the video, I had the Produce screen in AD set to produce audio files, but if your source clip has important video content, you'd want to produce at least one of the new clips as video. I'd suggest the clip with the soundboard audio as that's perfectly in sync already, and then let PD sync the ambient to that.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Aug 21. 2019 12:49

YouTube/optodata

DS365 | Win11 Pro | Ryzen 9 3950X | RTX 4070 Ti | 32GB RAM | 10TB SSDs | 5K+4K HDR monitors

Canon Vixia GX10 (4K 60p) | HF G30 (HD 60p) | Yi Action+ 4K | 360Fly 4K 360°
Phil_cbd [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote I don't think this is basic at all. In almost every situation, you'd expect the audio tracks on a single clip to be in sync and you'd only have to deal with syncing issues if you were working with multiple clips.

In your case, the sound board must have been pretty far away from the stage to have a noticeable audio lag, so here's one way to sync the two channels (it's basically the same idea that AVPlayVideo suggested):

At that point, you'll have two new stereo clips, one with only L audio and the other with only R. At that point, I'd import them into PowerDirector, put both on the timeline and use Sync by Audio.

In the video, I had the Produce screen in AD set to produce audio files, but if your source clip has important video content, you'd want to produce at least one of the new clips as video. I'd suggest the clip with the soundboard audio as that's perfectly in sync already, and then let PD sync the ambient to that.

Thank you gentlemen. I didn't have any success and couldn't 'save as' a new file. I wondered if this is because I'm using AD8 within PD17 and it has been crippled. I certainly wouldn't buy AD9 if this option is not possible. Though I really like PD17 I had to revert to Vegas 14 which loads the two chanenels separately and allows them to be saved separately and even swapped - which I also had to do. Hopefully the next version of PowerDirector has better audio track handling as this is definitely a weakness. Incidently, at about 200ft from stage, sound travelling at 1100ft/sec and assuming minimal latency from sound desk, the difference in channels is is about 150ms. Thanks again for your prompt responses..
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
Quote Thank you gentlemen. I didn't have any success and couldn't 'save as' a new file. I wondered if this is because I'm using AD8 within PD17 and it has been crippled.

Yes, when you launch AD from within PD, it will replace the edited audio clip with the new AD version, and there is no "Save As" option. Since you posted in the AD forum and didn't mention PD at all, my response was based on you launching AD separately, and that's the only thing you need to do to get this to work.

YouTube/optodata

DS365 | Win11 Pro | Ryzen 9 3950X | RTX 4070 Ti | 32GB RAM | 10TB SSDs | 5K+4K HDR monitors

AVPlayVideo
Senior Contributor Location: Home Joined: Apr 06, 2016 19:03 Messages: 703 Offline
[Post New]
In addition to what optodata has shown
In PD, Media Room, Right-click on Video Selects, Extract Audio
Save to new file, (wav).
Add this 2 times one below the other
Select 1 and go to AudioDirector copy from channel L to R when returning to PD will have channel L on file.
In PD select the 2 audios and button, Sync by Audio
See how I copy channel L to R or the reverse.
XEON-E5-2680 v4 / Mem. 16GB DDR4
M.2 NVME 512Gb / 2-SSD Sata3 1TB
AMD RX570 / Display Philips 272V8
Windows 11_64Pro / PD22/365
Phil_cbd [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote In addition to what optodata has shown
In PD, Media Room, Right-click on Video Selects, Extract Audio
Save to new file, (wav).
Add this 2 times one below the other
Select 1 and go to AudioDirector copy from channel L to R when returning to PD will have channel L on file.
In PD select the 2 audios and button, Sync by Audio
See how I copy channel L to R or the reverse.

Thank you AVPlayVideo. The 'Extract Audio' allowed me to solve the problem. Hopefully the next version of PD will allow the option of dispalying L and R channels as separate audio tracks. Also, continous display of waveform to visually sync in phase and the ability to 'swap' channels would be greatly emhance this product.
optodata
[Post New]
Quote Hopefully the next version of PD will allow the option of dispalying L and R channels as separate audio tracks. Also, continous display of waveform to visually sync in phase and the ability to 'swap' channels would be greatly emhance this product.

The next version of AD will likely come out next month so it's too late for any new user requests, but the best way to tell Cyberlink that you'd like to see these features is to use Rate Us & Provide Suggestions... under AD's File menu. They don't monitor this user forum and won't see your comments unless you specifically tell them via that feedback channel.

YouTube/optodata