Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Chroma key still showing green outline
CyberCFP [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: May 04, 2019 07:03 Messages: 3 Offline
[Post New]
Hopefully someone can assist with this; I'm trying to use chroma keys to use a green screen effectively but there's still a green hue on the outlines, especially in the hair. What needs to change to fix this - the lighting, filming or editing?

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1S2Pq7OXIn6DGJOoiFWminXfhYQ_zd0uV

Thanks for any adivce you can offer.
ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Hi CyberCFP -

In PDR's standard chroma-key in PiP Designer, try increasing the colour range (even to maximum).

Depending on what previous versions of PDR you've had installed, you may have (in FX) NewBlue Chroma Key Pro. If you have it, that will give you better control.

Cheers - Tony
Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!
tomasc [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 25, 2011 12:33 Messages: 6464 Offline
[Post New]
It look like that possibly some of the lighting reflected off the green screen onto the hair or the hair is thin in those areas. Further removing the green tint may remove that hair also.
[Post New]
Quote Hopefully someone can assist with this; I'm trying to use chroma keys to use a green screen effectively but there's still a green hue on the outlines, especially in the hair. What needs to change to fix this - the lighting, filming or editing?

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1S2Pq7OXIn6DGJOoiFWminXfhYQ_zd0uV

Thanks for any adivce you can offer.

Sorry I didn't see this sooner. After looking at your green screen image, I have some suggestions:

1. Your subjects (kids) are too close to the green screen and refelcting way too much light.

2. Your subjects are not lit brightly enough from the front/top with regular white light.

and/or

3. Your greenscreen is lit up too brightly. This is the most common error I see in green screening, and it's usually because of bad advice found online. Modern chroma keying is now so simple that you can kill any solid background - there is no longer any need to light up greenscreens so bright anymore. Most modern green screening is done in rather dimly lit green screen studios. This is specifically to prevent the green glow you are now dealing with.

4. For total control over chromakeying to a near Hollywood level, NewBlue Video Essentials VI (6) has Chroma Key Pro. It can be purchased here for $99. I can tell you that it is worth the money if you really have the need, but it also requires a bit of a learning curve to master it. if you get your lighting right, Chroma Key Pro will give you Hollywood results. But read the rest of this post before you spend any money - you may not need Chroma Key Pro at all.

Fact is, even with Chroma Key Pro, you still may have to re-shoot your green screen content if your lighting was just too far off.

My advice: Just use the lighting advice mentioned above. Read web articles on proper subject lighting for green screening, but ignore any advice that tells you to light the green screen up like daylight - it will create problems you can't fix. With green screening, proper lighting is everything.

To be honest, PowerDirector 17's new chroma keying feature is actually better and easier to use than previous versions once you get the hang of how to use it. It's incredible how effective PD17's chroma keying is with how simplistic they made it, I'm actually quite impressed. Good tutorial here. Particularly, start watching at 4:25.

Hope this helps. :

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Sep 18. 2019 03:31