Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Converting AVI to MP4 for 46 GB project
Ren715 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jul 31, 2019 05:37 Messages: 5 Offline
[Post New]
Hi -

I just inherited some cassettes that contain over forty 2-3 minute AVI files that were converted from 8mm reels dating from the 1940’s-60’s
The AVI files are over 60GB and too much for my hard drive.
Would I lose too much quality if I convert each AVI file to MP4? It cuts the file size by 50%
My goal is to burn a DVD with menu for immediate family members and upload clips to YouTube for extended family.

Thanks so much!
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
There are actually two parts to your question as I see it, one relating to storage space and another to conversion quality.

For the first part, external flash drives are very inexpensive these days, and you could easily get a USB (3.0) 64GB flash drive for around US$10. If you do that, you're free to not worry about converting the files before editing them.

For the second part, you can try converting a couple of clips to see if you notice any problems. PD17/365 has a very nice feature in the Produce module called Profile Analyzer:

When you click on it, it will figure out the best producing format based on your source clips, and then you can produce your sample clip straight away. It's best to watch the converted clip after the original to verify that the content is not visually distracting, as can sometimes happen if the wrong settings are used.

YouTube/optodata

DS365 | Win11 Pro | Ryzen 9 3950X | RTX 4070 Ti | 32GB RAM | 10TB SSDs | 5K+4K HDR monitors

Canon Vixia GX10 (4K 60p) | HF G30 (HD 60p) | Yi Action+ 4K | 360Fly 4K 360°
Ren715 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jul 31, 2019 05:37 Messages: 5 Offline
[Post New]
Thank you
Thank you
THANK YOU!!!!