Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Transition blacks out screen after trimming clip
spence524 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Aug 09, 2019 08:43 Messages: 4 Offline
[Post New]
Noob here:
Here's the situation...

I have 2 clips that I want to place a Fade transition between. I place the transition between the 2 clips and it works fine, but the moment I trim the first clip (trimmed a few seconds from the beginning), the problem happens.

When the first clip comes to an end, the clip freezes for a moment (presumably the duration of the transition) and then the 2nd clip fades in from black. If I remove the trimming of the first clip, the fade transition is as expected and looks fine. This doesn't happen between other trimmed clips elsewhere in the timeline. When I render the video, it is a problem as well. I have tried removing the transition, and untrimming, then adding it back....same thing. When I tried a brand new project with the same 2 clips, the behavior is repeated. The transition behavior is set to overlap.

I am assuming this is user error here.

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

AMD Ryzen7
ASUS GTX 1080 ti
32 GB RAM 3200

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Aug 09. 2019 19:10

optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
I don't think you're doing anything wrong, but what you're describing is not typical PD behavior. I'm also concerned that the issue happens repeatedly with these particular clips but not to others on the timeline.

Can you run Screen Recorder 2 while you're making these edits to capture exactly what you're seeing? You can upload the recording to YouTube or to a cloud folder on OneDrive, Google Drive, DropBox, etc. and paste the link to it here. Maybe we'll see something in your workflow, or at least get a better understanding of the issue by seeing the issue directly.

YouTube/optodata

DS365 | Win11 Pro | Ryzen 9 3950X | RTX 4070 Ti | 32GB RAM | 10TB SSDs | 5K+4K HDR monitors

Canon Vixia GX10 (4K 60p) | HF G30 (HD 60p) | Yi Action+ 4K | 360Fly 4K 360°
AVPlayVideo
Senior Contributor Location: Home Joined: Apr 06, 2016 19:03 Messages: 703 Offline
[Post New]
Quote Noob here:
Here's the situation...

I have 2 clips that I want to place a Fade transition between. I place the transition between the 2 clips and it works fine, but the moment I trim the first clip (trimmed a few seconds from the beginning), the problem happens.

When the first clip comes to an end, the clip freezes for a moment (presumably the duration of the transition) and then the 2nd clip fades in from black. If I remove the trimming of the first clip, the fade transition is as expected and looks fine. This doesn't happen between other trimmed clips elsewhere in the timeline. When I render the video, it is a problem as well. I have tried removing the transition, and untrimming, then adding it back....same thing. When I tried a brand new project with the same 2 clips, the behavior is repeated. The transition behavior is set to overlap.

I am assuming this is user error here.

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

AMD Ryzen7
ASUS GTX 1080 ti
32 GB RAM 3200

I think I've had this problem or similar, also the case that the transition reverses, the way it solved for me, saving the project, reopening it worked as it should.
spence524 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote I don't think you're doing anything wrong, but what you're describing is not typical PD behavior. I'm also concerned that the issue happens repeatedly with these particular clips but not to others on the timeline.

Can you run Screen Recorder 2 while you're making these edits to capture exactly what you're seeing? You can upload the recording to YouTube or to a cloud folder on OneDrive, Google Drive, DropBox, etc. and paste the link to it here. Maybe we'll see something in your workflow, or at least get a better understanding of the issue by seeing the issue directly.

Thanks for offering to take a look.
Let me also add that I am using the Trial Version.
Here's my screen cap:

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1sAWepS5YajGSkJrN-PyJUeR3CKx_MFAa?usp=sharing

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Aug 10. 2019 21:24

optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
Quote Thanks for offering to take a look.
Let me also add that I am using the Trial Version.

Well, it looks exactly as you've described. Could you also upload those two clips to the Google Drive folder? I think it would help to work directly with them to see if the same problem occurs on my system.

YouTube/optodata

DS365 | Win11 Pro | Ryzen 9 3950X | RTX 4070 Ti | 32GB RAM | 10TB SSDs | 5K+4K HDR monitors

spence524 [Avatar]
[Post New]

Well, it looks exactly as you've described. Could you also upload those two clips to the Google Drive folder? I think it would help to work directly with them to see if the same problem occurs on my system.

Thanks, I have uploaded the clips.
PowerDirector Moderator [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: New Taipei City, Taiwan Joined: Oct 18, 2016 00:25 Messages: 2104 Offline
[Post New]

Thanks, I have uploaded the clips.

Hi,
Using your clips in PDR365 17.6.3004.0 and using both xfade and overlap and with or without shadow files generated, I can't replicate the same issue as you have shown.

Cheers
PowerDirector Moderator

For customer support related issues, please contact:
- Customer service: https://membership.cyberlink.com/support/customer-services.do
- Technical support: https://membership.cyberlink.com/support/service/technical-support.do
optodata
[Post New]
Quote Hi,
Using your clips in PDR365 17.6.3004.0 and using both xfade and overlap and with or without shadow files generated, I can't replicate the same issue as you have shown.

Like PDM, I also don't see the issue, but I didn't try with shadow files.

These clips use Apple's QuickTime codec, and that sometimes cause issues with PD as there are varying degrees of support since Apple no longer supports QT on Windows platforms. The first thing I'd try is to download and install QTLite, then try your edits again.

If that doesn't change anything, see if the way you make these edits has any effect:

1. Drag the left edge of the 1st clip to the right and release the mouse button

2. Place the scrubber wher you want to trim the clip, then click on the Split tool

3. Try trimming the clip before adding the transition

This video shows how to do each of those steps, along with a couple things to try to see if maybe the issue is related to where the fist clip starts on the timeline:

BTW, you're doing everything correctly, so I'm hoping that these tests may help us figure out what and where the problem is.

YouTube/optodata