Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
365 'hanging' in keyframes
Old Blugger [Avatar]
Newbie Location: England Joined: Nov 26, 2016 16:46 Messages: 10 Offline
[Post New]
I've a twin display of 24" VDUs, each 1920 x 1080. AMD Ryzen 3 2200G Quad Core 3.7GHz VEGA Graphics, Asus A320M-K Motherboard. Due to a conflict with software, I disabled the on-board graphics and went with NVidea GeForce GT710 2GB RAM. Everything up to date, including video driver.

I've got no non-essential background programmes, and have no browsers open. I am connected to the internet; BT SuperFast broadband.

I've recently subscribed to 365 and am trying out various functions, now onto keyframes.

When editing, the display 'hangs' for a few seconds when on a keyframe with a video background.

Is this normal? Have I some conflict? Is there a workaround? Do I have to upgrade? I love aphorisms: they give all the appearance of intelligence without any of that difficult thinking.
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
I'm afraid I don't quite understand what you're seeing.

I can't tell if you're working with PD on a single monitor or on both (running on both with the preview resolution set to Full HD quality will often result in a lag). I also don't know what you're actually doing with keyframes when you experience the problem.

Keyframes are used in many different situations, and while most of them won't require a ton of processing before updating the display, some of them do.

It would be most helpful if you could use the Screen Recorder 2 app that comes with PD365 and capture what you're seeing, and then upload it to YouTube or Google Drive and paste the link to it here. That way, we can see exactly what you're doing and can then assist with any necessary settings adjustments or suggest a change in workflow to smooth things out.

YouTube/optodata

DS365 | Win11 Pro | Ryzen 9 3950X | RTX 4070 Ti | 32GB RAM | 10TB SSDs | 5K+4K HDR monitors

Canon Vixia GX10 (4K 60p) | HF G30 (HD 60p) | Yi Action+ 4K | 360Fly 4K 360°
Old Blugger [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote I'm afraid I don't quite understand what you're seeing.

I can't tell if you're working with PD on a single monitor or on both (running on both with the preview resolution set to Full HD quality will often result in a lag). I also don't know what you're actually doing with keyframes when you experience the problem.

Keyframes are used in many different situations, and while most of them won't require a ton of processing before updating the display, some of them do.

It would be most helpful if you could use the Screen Recorder 2 app that comes with PD365 and capture what you're seeing, and then upload it to YouTube or Google Drive and paste the link to it here. That way, we can see exactly what you're doing and can then assist with any necessary settings adjustments or suggest a change in workflow to smooth things out.

Thanks for the reply. I've just cracked it. It was what you suggested.

The problem was indeed that the preview window was running in HD. I assume this is the default for 365. On PD15, my previous one, it must have been running at lower definition as I didn't experience anything similar whilst running that.

Such solutions are normally obvious, but only after you've discovered it.

Thanks again for your help. I appreciate it. It was really beginning to irritate. I love aphorisms: they give all the appearance of intelligence without any of that difficult thinking.
JL_JL [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Arizona, USA Joined: Oct 01, 2006 20:01 Messages: 6091 Offline
[Post New]
Quote The problem was indeed that the preview window was running in HD.

That's a little odd that a Ryzen 3 2200G can't decode fast enough for HD preview, obvisouly a GT710 may suffer depending on video source quality. As such, could you post 3 pics:
1) A pic of the pref > Hardware Acceleration settings that you currently are using when you have the issue
2) a video properties of your source media in the library so one can see the format, bitrate, resolution, fps and such
3) a pic after clicking the PowerDirector in the upper right hand corner so one can verify Nvidia GPU is being used since you've gone through some display configuration changes

Are both displays being driven off your GT710?

Have you done anything to the video in the timeline, color adjustment or the like?

If the situation is understood a little better maybe you can have HD preview which is usually a little nicer to timeline edit with for clarity.

Jeff
Old Blugger [Avatar]
[Post New]

That's a little odd that a Ryzen 3 2200G can't decode fast enough for HD preview, obvisouly a GT710 may suffer depending on video source quality. As such, could you post 3 pics:
1) A pic of the pref > Hardware Acceleration settings that you currently are using when you have the issue
2) a video properties of your source media in the library so one can see the format, bitrate, resolution, fps and such
3) a pic after clicking the PowerDirector in the upper right hand corner so one can verify Nvidia GPU is being used since you've gone through some display configuration changes

Are both displays being driven off your GT710?

Have you done anything to the video in the timeline, color adjustment or the like?

If the situation is understood a little better maybe you can have HD preview which is usually a little nicer to timeline edit with for clarity.

Jeff

Hi, Jeff,

Thanks for your reply. I tried to get info from the NVidea 'experience' software but it just wouldn't run. I've got an auto-updater so one assumes everything's up to date. I've disabled it and opted for the on-board Radeon graphics. I no longer had the difficulties I experienced before in HD.

The displays in the windows of subroutines, such as keyframes, could also hestitate a bit and that has ceased.

I've since remembered that I've had problems with the NVidea drivers after a WIN10 update.

On the NVidea website there are no drivers shown for my card. It is not in its first flush of youth, but is not what I would call old. The website shows no available drivers for my card.

Thanks for your help, Jeff. I appreciate it. I love aphorisms: they give all the appearance of intelligence without any of that difficult thinking.
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
Quote On the NVidea website there are no drivers shown for my card. It is not in its first flush of youth, but is not what I would call old. The website shows no available drivers for my card.

On the nVidia website, you can use the manual search and select your card info, like this:

The most recent driver for your GT710 is 431.60, which released a couple weeks ago. You can download it from this page, but you should first check Device Manager to see which version is currently installed:

YouTube/optodata

DS365 | Win11 Pro | Ryzen 9 3950X | RTX 4070 Ti | 32GB RAM | 10TB SSDs | 5K+4K HDR monitors

Canon Vixia GX10 (4K 60p) | HF G30 (HD 60p) | Yi Action+ 4K | 360Fly 4K 360°
Old Blugger [Avatar]
[Post New]
The matter seems to have an explanation.

I mentioned the problem to an IT nerd acquaintance who said he’d check the card for me. He reckons that I’ve bought a clone. The lettering is wrong on the card, and the connections are ‘crude’. He reckoned that’s probably why the auto driver update wasn’t working. It seems that one of the outputs was faulty as well, although I didn't use it for the VDU screen I was viewing PowerDirector on.

I’ll stick with the on-board Radeon graphics. It runs both screens at 1920 and the preview at HD without any hanging. My pet nerd reckons that at 32gb RAM, it should cope without problems. Any advice from the knowledgeable gratefully received though.

I bought the card from a well-known online multi-national retailer at just a little below the going rate; no more than 10% I’m sure. It wasn’t cheap though. I’m irritated that I have been conned, although only to an extent I suppose. I’ve had good use of it for some years. I’m still irritated though.

It’s the old adage: buy something that costs 10% more than the going rate, and you’ve lost 9.09% of the price you paid. Pay 90% and you might lose 100%.

Thanks for all your help. My problem has been solved, and that’s a big positive. I've had a look at advice on these forums for a suitable graphics card for PD and there is no consensus, so if it works, stick with it I suppose.

Thanks again. I love aphorisms: they give all the appearance of intelligence without any of that difficult thinking.