Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
PD15 created MP4 file, but Power DVD refuses to play. Why?
RGoto [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Nov 12, 2013 09:17 Messages: 10 Offline
[Post New]
PowerDirector 15 Ultra + Cyberlink DVD

So for a couple of years I have been making videos of family/sports to youtube, where `PowerDVD` (the Power not to play?) has always refused to play them on the computer, and we could only watch them on youtube; BUT very recently, (only AFTER PAYING Microsoft some small ammount of Cash [for something codec or other]) will they now allow me to play them on their Windows 10 player, ....but my Cyberlink Power DVD STILL refuses to allow its own Cyberlink-created MP4 videos to be played by Power DVD (but I can play them the CLUNKY way by running within Power Director only).

Why is there no way to play an MP4 created in its own Cyberlink-linked program `PowerDVD`?

If there is a solution... (not via changing the format every one of hundreds of videos).... Why is this basic of things hidden so professionally?
tomasc [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 25, 2011 12:33 Messages: 6464 Offline
[Post New]
You did not state what type of mp4 files that don't play on your pc. Suspect that you mean HEVC mp4 files.

PowerDvd Ultra and not the Deluxe later versions support playing of HEVC mp4 files. The codec for playing those mp4 files only cost $0.99 at the Microsoft store after being directed there by Windows. Do not know what you consider a small amount of cash. You can buy a new Ultra version of PDVD or get one of the free players for the pc if your pc hardware can handle it. See this link: https://www.macxdvd.com/mac-dvd-video-converter-how-to/best-hevc-h265-player-for-mac-pc.htm .

Hope this helps...
RGoto [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Nov 12, 2013 09:17 Messages: 10 Offline
[Post New]
Quote You did not state what type of mp4 files that don't play on your pc. Suspect that you mean HEVC mp4 files.

PowerDvd Ultra and not the Deluxe later versions support playing of HEVC mp4 files. The codec for playing those mp4 files only cost $0.99 at the Microsoft store after being directed there by Windows. Do not know what you consider a small amount of cash. You can buy a new Ultra version of PDVD or get one of the free players for the pc if your pc hardware can handle it. See this link: https://www.macxdvd.com/mac-dvd-video-converter-how-to/best-hevc-h265-player-for-mac-pc.htm .

Hope this helps...

Thanks for the response. Helpful. Link is appreciated.

It was an HEVC mp4 (my bad for thinking MP4 was MP4 of all kinds).

The Microsoft codec I bought was in Yen (am not in USA). 150 yen is the small amount of cash (around $1.25 USD [as you indicate approx]).

I find it ODD that I would have to buy a New version of PDVD to play an existing format of `Cyberlink MP4`... Kinda nuts. ....... Because, no doubt, .....when I buy that new PDVD, ........... I guess an new codec will come out and that will not be able to play, ........so I can buy an even newer version of PDVD, and is likely a reason why many people give up on life and become homeless due to the billionth frustration they find.

Not worried here, just thankful I already had VLC, but would have preferred to Play Everything via Cyberlink, but not willing to throw money at every molecule that moves in their universe; notwithstanding I already had to pay Microsoft for the same thing.

Kudos.