Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Power Director shuts down after audio file returns from Audio Director
TerryQ111 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Apr 30, 2014 15:36 Messages: 38 Offline
[Post New]
I have a video with background noise, edited with Power Director (PD). I clicked on Edit Audio button in PD, and selected Audio Director (AD). I then used the Noise Reduction funcition, and sucessfully remove the noise. I then clicked on Back, and I was asked if I want to save changes to the audio file before they send it back to Power Director.

I then clicked yes, it worked for a few seconds, then Audio Director Closed, Power Director Reopened.

After a couple of seconds, Power Director closed, and a "PDR.exe has stopped working" error box came up. I sent that in with explanation.

I went back into Power Director and reloaded the file, and the changes had not been made to the audio track of the video project.

I tried this several times, and each time PD crashed or was shut down (not able to tell which).

Once I tried hitting cntrl-S when PD popped up, hoping to capture the changes brought back from AD, but that did not work.

I tried rebooting the computer to get rid of all other applications, followed the whole process again, and and the same failure happens.

I've used AD in conjunction with PD before for doing other functions, without this problem.

I have checked and my AD has the latest update for version 6 (update 5901).

Any suggestions for a solution?

Terry Thanks for everyone's help,
Terry

Power Director 14
HP Z230 Workstation (Intel Core i7-4770 CPU @ 3.40 GHz, 16GB RAM, 250GB SSHD, 3TB Toshiba Data Drive, Windows 10 Professional, nVidea GeForce GTX 750Ti)
Panasonic HC-X920
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
I assume you actually have AD6 v5902.

There might be some incompatibility with the specific clip you're working with, but there are a couple of things you can try:

If the crash was on PD's end, then the audio file was actually produced by AD and will be in the Import folder specified in PD's Preferences > File screen. In fact, there should be several original clip filename (x).WAV files present (one from each earlier attempt), and you can import one of them into PD's Media Library.

You'll then need to select the source clip on the timeline, then right-click and choose Link/Unlink Audio and Video, then click anywhere else to deselect them. Now click on the unlinked audio track, right-click and choose Del, then Remove and Leave Gap (or hold down Shift+Del) to remove the track.

Now drag the AD .wav file into place, and if you want, select it and the unlinked video clip and use Link/Unlink Audio and Video to link them again. This is what PD should have done when you invoked AD. Since you're doing this manually, you may have to move the clip on the timeline away from the other clips to make these changes without disrupting your other edits.

On the other hand, if the crash was on AD's side and it didn't actually produce a new .wav file, you may want to open AD on its own and try importing the source clip directly.

You can make the audio changes there, and it might be easiest to produce the whole clip again. AD has a limited set of A/V produce profiles compared to PD, but if you see a compatible one, that would be the simplest way to proceed.

You can even rename your original clip to something else and give the newly produced clip the original name, and as long as they're in the same folder, PD will open up with your new version of the clip exactly in place when you reopen your project.

Hopefully one of these suggestions will get you past this obstacle!

YouTube/optodata

DS365 | Win11 Pro | Ryzen 9 3950X | RTX 4070 Ti | 32GB RAM | 10TB SSDs | 5K+4K HDR monitors

Canon Vixia GX10 (4K 60p) | HF G30 (HD 60p) | Yi Action+ 4K | 360Fly 4K 360°
TerryQ111 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote I assume you actually have AD6 v5902.

There might be some incompatibility with the specific clip you're working with, but there are a couple of things you can try:

If the crash was on PD's end, then the audio file was actually produced by AD and will be in the Import folder specified in PD's Preferences > File screen. In fact, there should be several original clip filename (x).WAV files present (one from each earlier attempt), and you can import one of them into PD's Media Library.

Yes, it is 5902. Clicking on the AdioDirector title in upper right corner provides a pop-up box. It lists it as "AudioDirector 6.0.5902.0"

I found the folder In PD at "Edit/Preferences/File." From there I found seven wave files with the clip filename and the counter in parethesis as you said. I had wondered if they could be recovered, so thanks for that tip. It was easy to import and substitute the correct, noise-reduced clip into the video project.

The return from AD to PD still causes PD to close or crash . There is nothing special about this clip for this project. I've used the same camcorder as the source of clips for other past projects, where AD has passed the files back to PD without crashing PD. The only difference was that in those cases, I wasn't doing noise reduction. I doubt that matters. It just acts like PD doesn't "like" AD like it used to.

Thank you for the workaround.

Terry

Power Director 14
HP Z230 Workstation (Intel Core i7-4770 CPU @ 3.40 GHz, 16GB RAM, 250GB SSHD, 3TB Toshiba Data Drive, Windows 10 Professional, nVidea GeForce GTX 750Ti)
Panasonic HC-X920
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
I'm glad that worked for you.

If you did want to figure out what's causing the problem, you could create a new PD project with just that clip and see if you can do the AD roundtrip with noise reduction. If that works, it points to something about your original project causing the issue (other clips, specific edits, etc.).

If even the single clip project crashes, try making another edit in AD like boosting the volume and see if that's successful. Depending on what you find, you may want to post back here or report it to tech support (although PD14/AD6 will not be getting any more updates). You could also share the clip and or project here if you wanted me or other people to test it.

I have PD14 and AD6 installed, and FWIW, I've used PD17/AD9 many, many times this past year making noise reduction edits and haven't ever had a crash.

YouTube/optodata

DS365 | Win11 Pro | Ryzen 9 3950X | RTX 4070 Ti | 32GB RAM | 10TB SSDs | 5K+4K HDR monitors

TerryQ111 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote I'm glad that worked for you.

If you did want to figure out what's causing the problem, you could create a new PD project with just that clip and see if you can do the AD roundtrip with noise reduction. If that works, it points to something about your original project causing the issue (other clips, specific edits, etc.).

If even the single clip project crashes, try making another edit in AD like boosting the volume and see if that's successful. Depending on what you find, you may want to post back here or report it to tech support (although PD14/AD6 will not be getting any more updates). You could also share the clip and or project here if you wanted me or other people to test it.

I have PD14 and AD6 installed, and FWIW, I've used PD17/AD9 many, many times this past year making noise reduction edits and haven't ever had a crash.

The project that crashes/closes my PD14 is and has been throughout this is just a single clip. I already had make a volume increase in PD6 before I launched AD6, then I did the noise reduction, and sent it back, and it crashes PD14 consistently. It doesn't get much simpler than that.

I could send you the clip, and the project file, but the clip is 156 mb, and I don't have a ready way of getting that to you via Internet. I could copy it to a data DVD and mail it to you, if you still are interested in trying it on your system. Thanks for everyone's help,
Terry

Power Director 14
Panasonic HC-X920
optodata
[Post New]
I'm happy to see if I can figure out what's going on with this particular clip. I just sent you a private message with a link to a folder on my OneDrive account, as that's a much faster way to get the clip to me!

YouTube/optodata

TerryQ111 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote I'm happy to see if I can figure out what's going on with this particular clip. I just sent you a private message with a link to a folder on my OneDrive account, as that's a much faster way to get the clip to me!

I can send the files to you, but I would rather not put it public.

The mail that came through to me had a line it it called "upload link", and when I clicked that, it showed the contents of the email which made reference again to an upload link to your OneDrive account. But unfortunately there was no live link to your OneDrive account about the OneDrive.

Terry

Power Director 14
Panasonic HC-X920
optodata
[Post New]
Hmm, the link works as expected on my end:

I have sent just the link in a new PM. Hopefully it will work this time!

YouTube/optodata

TerryQ111 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote Hmm, the link works as expected on my end:

I have sent just the link in a new PM. Hopefully it will work this time!

The second email had the link. I just uploaded the 4 clip files and the project file I used.

The technique I used for noise reduction followed these steps.

Click on Button "Edit Audio" then select "Audio Director."

Push the RESTORE link and answer yes.

Open Noise Reduction, and select the radio button for "Noise Reduction" and then click "Next"

Use first radio button, select the first 1.7 seconds of the sound clip where there is no voice over.

Select Analyze button

Click Next

Select "entire audio content"

Click "APPLY"

Click "BACK"

Answer yes or something to go to the next step

It processes the file, goes back to PD, and then after 2 or 3 seconds, PD shuts down and error box pops up.

And as you noted, the sound .WAV file has been put in the target folder.

It will be interesting to see if it does or does not crash your power director.

Terry

Power Director 14
Panasonic HC-X920
optodata
[Post New]
Thanks very much for uploading your clip and project. I can confirm that using AD6 or AD9 to make changes to the clip will crash PD14, but PD17 has no problem with it.

In this screen capture, you can see that the actual cause of the crash occurs when you click on Restore. Even though I hadn't made any changes, it appears that AD has to convert the file before it can use any of the Restore tools, and if I simply send the clip back at that point, PD14 will crash:

I saw the same problem after converting your source clip from AC-3 audio compression to AAC LC, so the problem may be with PD14's handling of 5.1 surround sound. I have no idea why other clips from the same camera work properly and this one causes trouble. I even get the crash even if I import the clip into AD and produce it with the noise reductions first - and then try doing another round trip from PD14

As I mentioned earlier, PD14 won't be updated any longer as PD18 is about to be released. CL typically only provides updates for the previous 2 versions, so I don't know that it's worth reporting to tech support.

The good news is that both you and I are able to import the AD-produced .WAV file without any problems after the crash, and if you make the noise reductions directly in AD6 and produce the clip from there, you won't have problems as long as you don't need to go back to AD6 from within PD14.

Also, if you wanted to move up to PD17 (or 18 ), the problem doesn't (shouldn't) occur, so you have a few options here.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Aug 04. 2019 17:04

YouTube/optodata

TerryQ111 [Avatar]
[Post New]

Also, if you wanted to move up to PD17 (or 1, the problem doesn't (shouldn't) occur, so you have a few options here.

Because there is a workaround here, for now I'll stay with PD14, but it is good to know that PD17 would fix it.

I'm having another problem with PD14, and haven't heard of anyone else having it.

I originally bought PD12, and updated to PD14 in 2016. In the summer of 2015, I started burning Blu-Ray disks for friends and myself who had Blu-ray players, and continued to do DVDs for people only had DVD players. I shoot HD video, and Blu-Rays do a little better in playback quality.

This summer, I made the DVD disks as I normally did, but when I tried to burn the Blu-Rays, it would not burn them. It would mess up the disk (not reusable after it was tried), and give this error.

"Burning unsuccessful.
Error Code: eEB191784
CyberLink Power Director could not format this BD. The burning drive does not support this disc."

I tried the obvious, try several other blank disks, and slowed down the burn speed from 6X to 2X. It gave the same error message, but when the disc was popped out, a box came up that said "ither this drive or this disc is not ready" . When trying to burn at 6x, it didn't give that message.

I'm using the same brand and batch of Blu-Ray BD-R Verbatim disks as I've used in the past. My computer hardware has not changed. PD14 has not changed. The general disk format that I was creating did not change, other than video and audio content. Also, the PD14 software has the latest patch.

I was able to make an ISO file of the Blu-Ray with PD. I haven't tried to to create the Blu-Ray from that (I think I'd need to buy software to turn an ISO file into a Blu-Ray Disk)

I haven't yet tried just putting some data on a data formatted Blu-Ray.

So it is possible that the Blu-Ray reader/burner lost its Blu-ray laser (it still did the DVDs okay, which I'm told uses a different laser). I tried to see if anyone I know might have a USB burner drive, but most of my nearby friends aren't into that.

Or this could be another Cyberlink problem that just decided to start.

I've ran out of time to work on the problem, and will probably not get back to it for a while because of other more urgent work.

I approached Cyberlink asking them for help. They didn't have any up front answers. They've just suggested doing a lot of diagnostics.

Does anything suggest to you what might be wrong, and/or what might be the most efficient way to diagnose the problem? Thanks for everyone's help,
Terry

Power Director 14
Panasonic HC-X920
optodata
[Post New]
Thanks for the update.

Regarding the BR issue, you can download and try IMGBurn for free and see if it will burn a disc when you have time. If not, it's likely that you'll need to get a new player/burner. At least they're not too expensive these days.

YouTube/optodata

JL_JL [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Arizona, USA Joined: Oct 01, 2006 20:01 Messages: 6091 Offline
[Post New]
Quote I was able to make an ISO file of the Blu-Ray with PD. I haven't tried to to create the Blu-Ray from that (I think I'd need to buy software to turn an ISO file into a Blu-Ray Disk)

When you get around to trying to resolve again, just use PD14 to create a folder with the "Burn in 2D" > "Create a folder". Make sure all your PD14 2D Disc settings are valid for your intent first. You then need nothing special and no additional software, you can simply burn this folder structure to BD with just Windows explorer as discussed here: https://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/51482.page#post_box_270180 and other threads.

Jeff
TerryQ111 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote Thanks for the update.

Regarding the BR issue, you can download and try IMGBurn for free and see if it will burn a disc when you have time. If not, it's likely that you'll need to get a new player/burner. At least they're not too expensive these days.

Thank you. That will be helpful when I get around to it. Thanks for everyone's help,
Terry

Power Director 14
Panasonic HC-X920
TerryQ111 [Avatar]
[Post New]

When you get around to trying to resolve again, just use PD14 to create a folder with the "Burn in 2D" > "Create a folder". Make sure all your PD14 2D Disc settings are valid for your intent first. You then need nothing special and no additional software, you can simply burn this folder structure to BD with just Windows explorer as discussed here: https://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/51482.page#post_box_270180 and other threads.

Jeff

Thank you, Jeff. That will be helpful. Thanks for everyone's help,
Terry

Power Director 14
Panasonic HC-X920
TerryQ111 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Regarding the burning problem, I tried what was suggested above, and it still won't burn. I'm turning my direction to finding out if the burner is failed.

I'll let know where it goes. Thanks for everyone's help,
Terry

Power Director 14
Panasonic HC-X920