Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Subtitle srt file upload to YouTube with all formatting instructions
Philippina [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Mar 10, 2016 09:43 Messages: 31 Offline
[Post New]
I use PD 17. When I uploaded a srt file to a YouTube video, all the formatting instructions are visibly included in the subtitles. I cannot publish these subtitles without the formatting info showing. What do I do wrong?
[Thumb - Computor info.PNG]
 Filename
Computor info.PNG
[Disk]
 Description
Computor info
 Filesize
20 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
7 time(s)
[Thumb - PD srt file.JPG]
 Filename
PD srt file.JPG
[Disk]
 Description
Screenshot of uploaded SRT file with formatting info
 Filesize
150 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
11 time(s)
 Filename
15) Afr subtitle Toets vir geloof.srt
[Disk]
 Description
Srt file uploaded to YouTube video
 Filesize
136 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
296 time(s)
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
Quote I use PD 17. When I uploaded a srt file to a YouTube video, all the formatting instructions are visibly included in the subtitles. I cannot publish these subtitles without the formatting info showing. What do I do wrong?

That doesn't look like a file that was generated from PD. Here's what it's supposed to look like, and there shouldn't be any font or color info embedded in with each title.

You can easily fix the issue by opening the .SRT file in Notepad++ (its free) or Word and do a search + replace of every <b><font size="20"><font color="#ffffff"> and </font></font></b> text string.

I just did that in Notepad++ (it took me about 5 seconds), and I've attached a new version for you to try.
 Filename
NEW 15) Afr subtitle Toets vir geloof.srt
[Disk]
 Description
clean version
 Filesize
71 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
282 time(s)

YouTube/optodata

DS365 | Win11 Pro | Ryzen 9 3950X | RTX 4070 Ti | 32GB RAM | 10TB SSDs | 5K+4K HDR monitors

Canon Vixia GX10 (4K 60p) | HF G30 (HD 60p) | Yi Action+ 4K | 360Fly 4K 360°
ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Philippina & optodata -

I think there's something wrong here & Philippina's highlighted it.

I just now set up some subtitles in PDR17 (first time I've used them in ages), then exported the .srt file. It does include formatting data, unlike the same file I exported from PDR14. I haven't checked other versions yet.

Optodata - you're right - that's what it's supposed to look like.

The two exported .srt files are attached.

Cheers - Tony
 Filename
PDR14_I Will Fly V1-C1.srt
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
2 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
235 time(s)
 Filename
PDR17_I Will Fly V1-C1.srt
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
4 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
234 time(s)

Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!
ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
It turns out PDR17 is spectacularly special in this. PDR14, 15 & 16 all export .srt files that don't contain formatting info... and I can't find a way to trick PDR17 into doing the same. undecided

Cheers - Tony
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
Quote It turns out PDR17 is spectacularly special in this. PDR14, 15 & 16 all export .srt files that don't contain formatting info... and I can't find a way to trick PDR17 into doing the same. undecided

Cheers - Tony

Seems like this is definitely a bug. I thought maybe the Select Subtitle Type tool would help, but the resulting .SRT formatting is the same no matter which option I chose:

It makes me wonder where all the formatting info is supposed to go, though. There's a whole array of text attributes available, and nowhere else to put them in a plain text file:

EDIT: In PD14 I can set the text attributes any way I want and that's how they appear in the timeline video, but the .SRT file has no formatting info, only the allowed info...

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Aug 02. 2019 18:30

YouTube/optodata

DS365 | Win11 Pro | Ryzen 9 3950X | RTX 4070 Ti | 32GB RAM | 10TB SSDs | 5K+4K HDR monitors

JL_JL [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Arizona, USA Joined: Oct 01, 2006 20:01 Messages: 6091 Offline
[Post New]
Quote Seems like this is definitely a bug.

Probably not. Keep in mind for PD17 CL posted:
"Enhanced SRT subtitle support with more text options available." in the PD17 release docs

And a few users over the years requested these improvements:
https://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/20968.page#post_box_111243
https://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/46709.page#post_box_242368

Looks like CL adapted what is perhaps the unofficial approval of subrip format,
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SubRip

Which is compatible with many players. I guess CL never provided a means to write the non txt formated srt file so one would need to use a srt editor, sed, txt editor, virtually anything to manually remove when desired.

Jeff
optodata
[Post New]
Thanks for the info! That's certainly a viable explanation, and if every playback device or service was compatible with the newer format, this wouldn't have even come up as an issue.

Since not everyone/everything else is on board, however, it does seem like an oversight (if not a bug) on CL's part to not retain the original/vanilla formatting as an option. Seems to me like a service request would still be in order.

YouTube/optodata

ynotfish
[Post New]
Hi all -

Jeff - I was only just reading about sed, perl & awk & I didn't understand a word of it! embarassed

Philippina - even though optodata has already edited your .srt file to make it functional, I just found an effective online tool to strip the formatting data from the file in no time flat.

https://subtitletools.com/srt-cleaner

I tested it with the PDR17 .srt file I made ealier, then uploaded it to YouTube. It works.

Cheers - Tony
Philippina [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote Thanks for the info! That's certainly a viable explanation, and if every playback device or service was compatible with the newer format, this wouldn't have even come up as an issue.

Since not everyone/everything else is on board, however, it does seem like an oversight (if not a bug) on CL's part to not retain the original/vanilla formatting as an option. Seems to me like a service request would still be in order.

Thank you so much for all the reactions to my post. I appreciate the trouble. I did try the corrected sample that optodata kindly provided and inserted it in the YT video.

(However, i did not mention that I have been forced to revert to the PD 17 srt facility purely because I have been experiencing a transcription bug also on YouTube Studio Beta and Classic for the past month. Normally I have no problems adding transcriptions directly in YT). It did not seem necessary to mention this in my first post, but now it does. I found that the timing has to be adjusted in this cleaned version orf my srt file, although I took great care with the timings in the original srt. Why would that be???The additional transcription bug on YouTube is preventing me from correcting timings in the cleaned srt file, since the YT pause and play buttons jerks and freezes erratically. I have been sending YouTube many feedbacks about this to no avail and also unsuccessfully reported this on the YT forum. So I am still stuck).

By the way, the reason why I have so far preferred the YouTube transcription facitlity has been exactly because it normally is much more convenient and easier and faster to use than the PD 17 subtitle option!!! Until last month, when I started experiencing transcription bug problems in YT itself. Then, yesterday, I was forced to revert back to PD 17 transcription option. (I have been doing transcriptions directly in YT to my video's weekly.

I may also mention that the only previous time I tried to use the PD 17 subtitle tool for YT, I also experienced problems uploading it and gave up because this tool is much more time consuming, and less friendly to use than the direct YT tool.)

Thank you, ynotfish, for the remark posted while I was typing this post: (I will try the subtitle cleaner, thank you.) It does is a disappointment though, that it is necessary to revert to a second tool and that PD 17 cannot deliver the correct srt files. How do one go about reporting this problem and requesting a corrective update/service request?
[Thumb - PD srt type selected subtitles compatable with DVD not imprinted 2019 08 02.JPG]
 Filename
PD srt type selected subtitles compatable with DVD not imprinted 2019 08 02.JPG
[Disk]
 Description
Original Srt option (not imprinted). This is the option I originally selected for the srt file in PD 17.
 Filesize
236 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
1 time(s)
[Thumb - New PD Forum srt file 2019 08 03.JPG]
 Filename
New PD Forum srt file 2019 08 03.JPG
[Disk]
 Description
Cleaned srt file uploaded to YT video but with timing lags. It seems that removing the formatting during the cleaning process changed the timings?
 Filesize
123 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
2 time(s)
[Thumb - 15) same srt file saved twice.JPG]
 Filename
15) same srt file saved twice.JPG
[Disk]
 Description
Original srt file saved a second time to prove that I have been using PD 17 for the original srt file.
 Filesize
118 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
1 time(s)

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Aug 03. 2019 05:27

Philippina [Avatar]
[Post New]

Probably not. Keep in mind for PD17 CL posted:
"Enhanced SRT subtitle support with more text options available." in the PD17 release docs

And a few users over the years requested these improvements:
https://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/20968.page#post_box_111243
https://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/46709.page#post_box_242368

Which is compatible with many players. I guess CL never provided a means to write the non txt formated srt file so one would need to use a srt editor, sed, txt editor, virtually anything to manually remove when desired.

Jeff

Thanks JL-JL.

It seems that PD has ongoing subtitle problems since many years ago.

I also noticed that I am unable to copy Word text into the PD 17 subtitle tool. It seems to allow no copying. This was another reason why I have been preferring the direct YT Transcription tool. I could copy directly from the Word document to their tool.
I do type fast, but this PD shortcoming of not being able to copy text has another more important drawback: In my native language, Afrikaans, we use many symbols, symbols I normally insert in the Word text. I cannot copy those symbols into the PD subtitle tool. The result is confusiong language. In Afrikaans, eg the word "se" has a completely different meaning when the word "se" is changed with at least three possible different symbols added above the e. ( I cannot paste the symbols into this forum either! Haha)

I enjoy working with PD and have been upgrading from PD 14 yearly. But this is a definate drawback. Do I have to change to another editing programme?
When will PD pay attention to this subtitle tool?
optodata
[Post New]
Quote I found that the timing has to be adjusted in this cleaned version orf my srt file, although I took great care with the timings in the original srt. Why would that be???

How do one go about reporting this problem and requesting a corrective update/service request?

There are no changes to any of the timings or to your original text, as you can see in this side-by-side comparison from the middle of the files. You can scroll up and down from beginning to end, and there are no differences between the two files at all other than the unwanted formatting being removed:

If you use the online converter ynotfish suggested, you should get the exact same results as with the cleaned file.

Since YT wasn't able to accept the original file, this is the first chance you've had to see how the timing looks, and I imagine you'd just need to tweak the time settings where appropriate.

To file a support request with Cyberlink, please go to this page and provide them the URL of this forum thread in your description of the problem. They don't monitor anything here, and you definitely want them to see everything that's happened so far. Please post back with the ticket number (it will start with "CS") to close the loop.

YouTube/optodata

Philippina [Avatar]
[Post New]

There are no changes to any of the timings or to your original text, as you can see in this side-by-side comparison from the middle of the files. You can scroll up and down from beginning to end, and there are no differences between the two files at all other than the unwanted formatting being removed:

If you use the online converter ynotfish suggested, you should get the exact same results as with the cleaned file.

Since YT wasn't able to accept the original file, this is the first chance you've had to see how the timing looks, and I imagine you'd just need to tweak the time settings where appropriate.

To file a support request with Cyberlink, please go to this page and provide them the URL of this forum thread in your description of the problem. They don't monitor anything here, and you definitely want them to see everything that's happened so far. Please post back with the ticket number (it will start with "CS") to close the loop.

Once again, so grateful Optadata and everyone who contributed and brought enlightenment to this problem! Sincerely appreciated! I am amazed at the trouble you took, Optadata, once again to compare the two srt files. You did convince me. Thank you. I will certainly report this issue as you suggested. Ina

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Aug 03. 2019 13:02

[Post New]

Jeff is correct, PowerDirector uses SubRip format, unfortunatelly YouTube does not support the additional style information (formatting).
https://support.google.com/youtube/answer/2734698?hl=en

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Aug 06. 2019 06:28

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
PowerDirector 365
Philippina [Avatar]
[Post New]

Jeff is correct, PowerDirector uses SubRip format, unfortunatelly YouTube does not support the additional style information (formatting).
https://support.google.com/youtube/answer/2734698?hl=en

I finally had time to report this issue to Cyberlink Support.
Here is the question ID CS002048763

Thank you once more for all the advice.
Ina