Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Mixing Presets and Adjustment editing Corrupting Photos
jaydigital [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Oct 06, 2018 08:02 Messages: 46 Offline
[Post New]
I am having a problem that I have never seen in a graphics editing application before.

I'm using PhotoDirector 10 to ediit hundreds of photos (about 25 old scanned photos at a time) for a family's life story. I have been lightly using PD10 for about 7 months without any problems.

But now I have atarted using it all day long. I am importing groups of 10-20, photos at a time and setting a preset for the entire group before loading the import.

Once loaded, I use the "Adjustment" feature to tweak each photo and then move on to the next. If I like the way it looks I create my own preset and use it to get a consistent look across that group of photos.

However, as I begin making other edits, I notice that the copies and other photo versions became corrupted. From there, the corruptions spread throughout other versions and event to other photos that had also been "Adjusted" or presets combined.

Even the presets are corrupted and don't consistently effect other photos as they shou;d be.

Does anyone know what could be going on?

Thanks for any ideas.
[Post New]
Hello jaydigital,

Welcome to the PhotoDirector forum laughing

The process you're following seems like a reasonable way to approach the task, but it's unclear to me what you mean by "corrupted". Are you referring to saved presets not have the expected effect?

However, as I begin making other edits, I notice that the copies and other photo versions became corrupted. From there, the corruptions spread throughout other versions and event to other photos that had also been "Adjusted" or presets combined.

I've attempted to replicate your steps here with groups of scanned photos, but have been unable to produce any undesired effects.

Would it be possible to provide either a screen capture or (at least) screenshots to clarify the issue?

PIX PIX YouTube channel
jaydigital [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote Hello jaydigital,

Welcome to the PhotoDirector forum laughing

The process you're following seems like a reasonable way to approach the task, but it's unclear to me what you mean by "corrupted". Are you referring to saved presets not have the expected effect?

I've attempted to replicate your steps here with groups of scanned photos, but have been unable to produce any undesired effects.

Would it be possible to provide either a screen capture or (at least) screenshots to clarify the issue?

PIX

Here is a screenshot of one of the photos:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/n1e2qf2pvjbbkuo/Untitled.png?dl=0

I had edited it to be a nice family portrait, not an exagerated one that was color over enhanced. As I was working on other photos, this one and its copies were transformed to this version which had never existed. before. Eventually all of the photos were transformed to some extreme (sometines highly granulated, sometimes faded to merely a pale outline - all with no input from me other than working on another photo with Adjustments and presets (default and my own). The corrupted version over-road my originals when I exported them. So I have no more examples.

I have uninstalled and reinstalled the PhotoDirector 10 app many times (4-6). The problem always returns.

Thanks for any assistance you can provide. Although I don't want to return to this problem, I suppose I could if multiple screenshots were the only way.

Thanks for any solutions you can present. I'm in the mode of rescanning the originals.

John Francis (jaydigital)
tomasc [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 25, 2011 12:33 Messages: 6464 Offline
[Post New]
I have seen a similar problem when drag n dropping photos from file explorer. PhD10 opens with whatever was the last imports on the screen. I have gotten away with drag n drop photos in the past onto the PhD10 screen and then edit and export them successfully. Other image editing software opens with a new empty screen, so I have never seen the problem with them.

Eventually I started having photos that appear with the wrong correction as shown in your screenshot. Checked the path of the photos in PhD10 and it is one path on top of another and another, etc. I then deleted all of them with this problem. Started importing all photos from File/Import and browse to whatever folder or file needed to import and there is no more problem for me.

Don’t think that your rescanned photos will have the same problem if you scan them and place them in a folder. Open PhD10 and import that folder. Avoiding drag n drop fixed it for me.
jaydigital [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote I have seen a similar problem when drag n dropping photos from file explorer. PhD10 opens with whatever was the last imports on the screen. I have gotten away with drag n drop photos in the past onto the PhD10 screen and then edit and export them successfully. Other image editing software opens with a new empty screen, so I have never seen the problem with them.

Eventually I started having photos that appear with the wrong correction as shown in your screenshot. Checked the path of the photos in PhD10 and it is one path on top of another and another, etc. I then deleted all of them with this problem. Started importing all photos from File/Import and browse to whatever folder or file needed to import and there is no more problem for me.

Don’t think that your rescanned photos will have the same problem if you scan them and place them in a folder. Open PhD10 and import that folder. Avoiding drag n drop fixed it for me.

---------------------

Thanks you, tomasc.
You are the first person that has been able to offer me a lead to the problem, or to even admit that there could be a problem with the PD10 software.

I have returned to using my Fireworks application which has been reliable for over 10 years. I like the results I got with PD10, but I can't be wasting days troubleshooting.

I will, however, spend the afternoon following your suggestions. Thanks very much. I'll let you know if it works.

This did begin as I became more familiar with the application and began to believe I could drag things around and maybe I was careless about the difference between albums, folders, and views.

Best regards, John
jaydigital [Avatar]
[Post New]

---------------------

Thanks you, tomasc.
You are the first person that has been able to offer me a lead to the problem, or to even admit that there could be a problem with the PD10 software.

I have returned to using my Fireworks application which has been reliable for over 10 years. I like the results I got with PD10, but I can't be wasting days troubleshooting.

I will, however, spend the afternoon following your suggestions. Thanks very much. I'll let you know if it works.

This did begin as I became more familiar with the application and began to believe I could drag things around and maybe I was careless about the difference between albums, folders, and views.

Best regards, John

------------------------------------------------------->

Added by jaydigital:
I followed your suggestion about managing the photos by their folders and not using the drag-n-drop feature.

I was able to do quite a few adjustments and preset manipulations by being very careful about what folder I was exporting them to.

I also realized that I need to understand the use of the virtual images and what can be done with these and what role they play in the editing.

I have not had the courage to begin dragging the photos around helter-skelter, yet. But I will put them through that test when I get myself better educated on how the presets and virtual image features are designed to be used.

Your lead was very helpful to me, tomasc.
[Post New]
Hello again John and thank you, tomasc, for sharing your experience. Tomasc has helped many dozens of PhotoDirector users with a variety of issues & is a valued contributor.

In all the time I've used PhD, I've never used the drap & drop method of importing photos. I have now. I'm not sure how it might be a factor in this issue of unwanted adjustments being made, but I'll persist with attempting to replicate the problem.

John, you mentioned something about redoing your scans. That should be unnecessary, unless you've overwritten the originals. In editing, PhD is non-destructive i.e. the original photo on your PC is not altered at all. Only the exported photos will show the adjustments that have been made.

A virtual photo is simply a copy of an imported photo. It does not exist as a "physical" photo untill it's exported. I find them helpful for comparison during editing.

It's not a case of "not admitting" there's an issue, John. It's simply that I've been unable, thus far, to replicate your issue. It's very helpful knowing that tomasc has experienced similar problems.

PIX

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Aug 02. 2019 13:05

PIX YouTube channel
jaydigital [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote Hello again John and thank you, tomasc, for sharing your experience. Tomasc has helped many dozens of PhotoDirector users with a variety of issues & is a valued contributor.

In all the time I've used PhD, I've never used the drap & drop method of importing photos. I have now. I'm not sure how it might be a factor in this issue of unwanted adjustments being made, but I'll persist with attempting to replicate the problem.

John, you mentioned something about redoing your scans. That should be unnecessary, unless you've overwritten the originals. In editing, PhD is non-destructive i.e. the original photo on your PC is not altered at all. Only the exported photos will show the adjustments that have been made.

A virtual photo is simply a copy of an imported photo. It does not exist as a "physical" photo untill it's exported. I find them helpful for comparison during editing.

It's not a case of "not admitting" there's an issue, John. It's simply that I've been unable, thus far, to replicate your issue. It's very helpful knowing that tomasc has experienced similar problems.

PIX

Hi PIX,

Thanks for staying with this thread.

As I stated earlier, I still have a lot to learn about the virtual photos and the photo types behind the currently being edited version.

I'm also dealing with thousands of photos covering 7 decades in my project - a thorough family history. So, for one thing, I was trying to use about 100 images, each with about 4 versions behind it.

I also just noticed that when I attempted to change the presets for a lot of them, it takes a long time for the virtual ones to be updated. I think I may have been trying to export(save) an updated photo before it was ready. The notice (in the upper right) that an export is still taking place is very small and may last minutes. I DID NOT notice this until today. I did notice that when I applied the edit and presets one at a time and then exported each photo before moving to the next, it did not cause any problems. But i have been trying to save time by applying presets to a large number of photos at a time because so many photos in my project are from the same camera long ago.

I still do not know what is happening when I stress the system (I use a newly purchased HP ENVY with 32 meg of RAM and NIVIDIA graphics board). And I have stopped moving the images with a collection (as large as 15) of edited photos with drag-n-drop as tomasc suggested.

I may figure it out one day. I'm using the PD10 a lot.

Thanks,
jaydigital (john)