Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
No more access to Flickr because of your choice of browsers? How insane.
Art Martin [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Aug 25, 2015 08:11 Messages: 7 Offline
[Post New]
I am a hard core Flickr user and one of the reasons I so enjoyed Photodirector was the ability to directly upload files to there and keep track of which ones I shared. Now I see that because you have chosen to use the MS browser as your login interface and Flickr no longer supports it, it is forever broken. There's a reason Flickr isn't using that browser. It's crap and easily hacked. Either switch to a different browser to log us in or give us the choice of what browser we wish to use. Hint: Firefox or Chrome.

Your workaround of us having to upload externally is crap.
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
Sorry you're having touble using PhotoDirector with Flickr. First, though, this is a user and volunteer forum, and none of us are the "you" your post is directed at.

I assume that the transition of Flickr from Yahoo's hardware to being part of SmugMug is at least partially responsible for the difficulities you're having. Here is a list of the various issues.

I don't have a Flickr account, and there is currently an issue preventing new account creation, but I don't get any message about Edge not being supported:

I also didn't see any Edge-related issues in the help topics I just browsed. Unfortunately, I can't do any further testing without a Flickr account, but hopefully other volunteers will be able to assist you.

Typically, Cyberlink programs will let you use your default browser rather than forcing you to use one. It would help if you would describe the problem you're having in more detail, include screenshots, if possible.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jul 18. 2019 23:17

YouTube/optodata

DS365 | Win11 Pro | Ryzen 9 3950X | RTX 4070 Ti | 32GB RAM | 10TB SSDs | 5K+4K HDR monitors

Canon Vixia GX10 (4K 60p) | HF G30 (HD 60p) | Yi Action+ 4K | 360Fly 4K 360°
[Post New]
Hello Art Martin,

Welcome to the PhotoDirector forum laughing

Based on optodata's investigation & my own experience, the problems you're describing seem attributable to Flickr's teething issues crossing over from Yahoo.

It may have been a little hasty reaching the conclusion that it was caused by CyberLink or PhotoDirector. We won't know until the current problems with Yahoo/Flickr are resolved.

Apparently, they're changing the current login setup too - https://help.flickr.com/en_us/changes-to-login-rkF1q3cIV

PIX

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jul 19. 2019 14:35

PIX YouTube channel
Art Martin [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote Hello Art Martin,

Welcome to the PhotoDirector forum laughing

Based on optodata's investigation & my own experience, the problems you're describing seem attributable to Flickr's teething issues crossing over from Yahoo.

It may have been a little hasty reaching the conclusion that it was caused by CyberLink or PhotoDirector. We won't know until the current problems with Yahoo/Flickr are resolved.

Apparently, they're changing the current login setup too - https://help.flickr.com/en_us/changes-to-login-rkF1q3cIV

PIX

Thanks for the response. Sorry about the "you" reference. I assumed Cyberlink support had people watching this forum and helping people. In their FAQ's it states that the problem comes from PD using the MS browser as the interface to login to Flickr when you press the share button. Cyberlink states that the MS browser is not supported by Flickr as a valid interface anymore and I assume that's because of all the hacks directed at it. Cyberlink says then that photos should be uploaded to Flickr outside the program which basically means that button is now broken as long as the MS browser is the code of choice for Cyberlink.

I get that the main problem is due to Flickr changing companies and their interface but I have no problems logging into it with Firefox. Programming for web interaction can be dicey but I know from my own experience that you can make those interfaces so they are not browser specific or you can write mutiple code modules for each major browser and have a configuration item that selects which browser to use. I have been a computer programmer for 30+ years and I can tell you that no company I worked for would have settled for our coders putting the onus on the users to work around a part of our code that no longer works. This is in Cyberlink's court in my opinion.
Art Martin [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote Sorry you're having touble using PhotoDirector with Flickr. First, though, this is a user and volunteer forum, and none of us are the "you" your post is directed at.

I assume that the transition of Flickr from Yahoo's hardware to being part of SmugMug is at least partially responsible for the difficulities you're having. Here is a list of the various issues.

I don't have a Flickr account, and there is currently an issue preventing new account creation, but I don't get any message about Edge not being supported:

I also didn't see any Edge-related issues in the help topics I just browsed. Unfortunately, I can't do any further testing without a Flickr account, but hopefully other volunteers will be able to assist you.

Typically, Cyberlink programs will let you use your default browser rather than forcing you to use one. It would help if you would describe the problem you're having in more detail, include screenshots, if possible.

I got to that same screen but if you hit the Login button, the screen simply refreshes and doesn't take you to a login interface. If PD launched that browse screen in Firefox, Chrome, etc. it would work. We need an application option where you can choose your browser interface or that info needs to be read from the registry. The good news? It's a very pretty interface.

Thanks for the reply,
Art Martin
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
Interesting that I get the full login screen in Edge:

I was also able to create a new account form that screen and everything works as expected.

I then went to PhD10, and when I went to the Share.. menu I had to zoom in on the box to see the content, but it clearly requires you to use one of 4 other browser options:

Clicking on any of those links brings up the download page for each browser, but as you originally noted, you can no longer log in from PhD directly.

Sounds like a patch or simple workaround would be needed, and going with whichever default browser the user has chosen would be ideal.

YouTube/optodata

DS365 | Win11 Pro | Ryzen 9 3950X | RTX 4070 Ti | 32GB RAM | 10TB SSDs | 5K+4K HDR monitors

Canon Vixia GX10 (4K 60p) | HF G30 (HD 60p) | Yi Action+ 4K | 360Fly 4K 360°