Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Project Folders have disappeared !
Kyle 40
Contributor Location: Cumbria Joined: Sep 06, 2013 14:14 Messages: 467 Offline
[Post New]
I'm now using Photodirector 10 as part of Director Suite 365 and noticed that the latest update has removed ALL the project folders from the library. With only the Calendar View showing photos that I've worked on over the months. I've tried using the " Show Photos in Same Folder" option but the folders don't appear nor do the images in the Browser View show images from the same folder!
Has this happened to anyone else ?

Cheers

PD10 PD 9 Project folder list
[Thumb - folders 9a2.jpg]
 Filename
folders 9a2.jpg
[Disk]
 Description
PD9 Project folder list
 Filesize
52 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
6 time(s)
[Thumb - folders 10 c2.jpg]
 Filename
folders 10 c2.jpg
[Disk]
 Description
PD10 where folders should be
 Filesize
27 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
6 time(s)

This message was edited 6 times. Last update was at Jul 18. 2019 14:39

I just want to edit and make pictures, walk my dog and go fishing.
[Post New]
Hello Kyle,

I'm interested in trying to help resolve your issue, but I'm afraid I don't properly understand what it is!

Certainly, I've seen no evidence of disappearing folders here. I'm fortunate to have both the 365 & pertpetual versions of PhD10 installed on different computers and neither has shown this problem.

When folders of photos are imported (is this what you mean by "project folders"?) they are present each time PhD10 is opened, unless I open a different project or start a new one.

Could you provide any further information to clarify your problem?

PIX PIX YouTube channel
Art Martin [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Aug 25, 2015 08:11 Messages: 7 Offline
[Post New]
Quote Hello Kyle,

I'm interested in trying to help resolve your issue, but I'm afraid I don't properly understand what it is!

Certainly, I've seen no evidence of disappearing folders here. I'm fortunate to have both the 365 & pertpetual versions of PhD10 installed on different computers and neither has shown this problem.

When folders of photos are imported (is this what you mean by "project folders"?) they are present each time PhD10 is opened, unless I open a different project or start a new one.

PIX

I'm having a related problem that seems to have arisen when PD10 locked up while editing in a folder I'd recently imported. When I returned, that folder no longer can be seen in the library (it is a sub folder of another folder). If I click on the parent folder, I can see all the photos that are in the folder so PD still can obviously see the folder. There are frequent lockups during editing and deleting files.

I'm now regretting taking the subscription. PD9 had some limitations but all the basics worked.
Art Martin [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Aug 25, 2015 08:11 Messages: 7 Offline
[Post New]

I'm having a related problem that seems to have arisen when PD10 locked up while editing in a folder I'd recently imported. When I returned, that folder no longer can be seen in the library (it is a sub folder of another folder). If I click on the parent folder, I can see all the photos that are in the folder so PD still can obviously see the folder. There are frequent lockups during editing and deleting files.

I'm now regretting taking the subscription. PD9 had some limitations but all the basics worked.

Ok. An update. I think I was pushing the limits of PD by having one project to handle every one of the tens of thousands of pictures I own. I simply kept adding folders to the default project every time I downloaded new pics from my cameras. I had hundreds of directories. I just found the Add New Project functionality and just imported the folders from my current European vacation into it and all folders are there. I'm sure things will run considerably faster and smoother now. I changed versions just as I was adding all these new photos and found the memory limitations of PD I'm sure.

Art Martin
Kyle 40
[Post New]
Quote Hello Kyle,

PIX

Hi Pix, thanks for replying.
As you may be aware, I have used PD 64bit thru many versions, for all my photos. I think it's a brilliant prog cool Over the years, I have created many Project Folders either with PowerDirector OR by using PowerDirector to import images from another program. I now have over 10,000 images in hundreds of Project Folders going back over 13 yrs on my external hardrives.
All of these images were in their own, chronological Project Folder with their own description. But now, all of these Project Folders have disappeared from view in my the PD10 Project Folder Tab in the Library ( even though the Project folders are still visible on my hard drives and are still visible in my old PD 9 )! Only the Calander View in PD 10 shows what images I've worked in date order but NO folders.
I started this thread with two images, one from PD 10 showing the lack of Library / Project Folders. With the other showing the Library /Proctect Folders in my old PD 9. I just switched from PD 10 to PD 9 to do this, the screen grabs are just minutes apart.
It was the latest update in PhotoDirector 10 that removed the Project Folders from view in the Library Tab.
Whew, I think I've covered it!

Over to you Pix innocent

Cheers I just want to edit and make pictures, walk my dog and go fishing.
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
Quote Over to you Pix innocent

Cheers

I'll just step in here quickly to suggest that you take a look at this thread, especially towards the end when a similar situation befell tomasc after opening a new project folder. Hopefully, you'll also have a backup of the original .PHD file that you can restore from.

YouTube/optodata

DS365 | Win11 Pro | Ryzen 9 3950X | RTX 4070 Ti | 32GB RAM | 10TB SSDs | 5K+4K HDR monitors

Canon Vixia GX10 (4K 60p) | HF G30 (HD 60p) | Yi Action+ 4K | 360Fly 4K 360°
Kyle 40
[Post New]

I'll just step in here quickly to suggest that you take a look at this thread, especially towards the end when a similar situation befell tomasc after opening a new project folder. Hopefully, you'll also have a backup of the original .PHD file that you can restore from.

Yahoo, they're back cool well, sort offrown. A lot of Project Folders are still missing but I've gone from nearly 6ooo images to well over 12ooo images, so it's a great start.
After checking the PD10 folder I noticed that there were three .phd files in folders, already in the PD10 folder,
info_10.01
info_10.01_10.03
info_10.03

I checked them all and noticed that the cache folder in _10.01 had 24000 files and the cache in the latest folder_10.03 had 500 files so I copied the _10.01 and pasted it into _10.03 and found that most of the Project Folders appeared but there were problems in the Tags and Faces Folders.

Phew, hope this doesn't happen again.innocent

Thank you optodata for pointing me in the right direction as I can now use Piccasa to go through my images in date order to find the folders and reintroduce them back into PD 10.
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
Well, I'm very glad to hear that you've made some significant progress!

Hopefully you'll get everything back to the way things were, or at least, close enough to move on from here. You may want to manually backup the most recent .PHD file once you get everything settled, just in case you need an earlier version again...

YouTube/optodata

DS365 | Win11 Pro | Ryzen 9 3950X | RTX 4070 Ti | 32GB RAM | 10TB SSDs | 5K+4K HDR monitors

Canon Vixia GX10 (4K 60p) | HF G30 (HD 60p) | Yi Action+ 4K | 360Fly 4K 360°
Kyle 40
[Post New]
Quote Well, I'm very glad to hear that you've made some significant progress!

Hopefully you'll get everything back to the way things were, or at least, close enough to move on from here. You may want to manually backup the most recent .PHD file once you get everything settled, just in case you need an earlier version again...

Manual Back up, good idea.surprised I do this all the time with PowerDirector but never thought of it with PhotoDirector.

Thanks once again optodata for your help and advice.

Kyle 40
[Post New]
Just out of interest, the Back Up default is set to Manual. Good idea to change it to what you need.
jaydigital [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Oct 06, 2018 08:02 Messages: 46 Offline
[Post New]
Hi,

I'm going to jump in here before this issue gets dropped.

I have found a repeatable problem with the importing of a folder of 14 photos into a brand new project. I have installed PhD10 on a new computer, set up a test folder specifically for the images that belong to the project, and scanned the images directly into the folder from a scanner installed on the same desktop. There is 32 GB of RAM on the desktop. The desktop is a new HP ENVY. I have created a video of the failure and the error messages (when I attempt to import the folder, an error message declares "there are no photos". And yet, use the "Import >Photos" menu item, they are all there and importable. When I do import them to the project, the folder shows up in the menu column under "Folders"

I have replicated the problem for support, but they have not acknowldged the problem.

Thanks,
John
jaydigital [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Oct 06, 2018 08:02 Messages: 46 Offline
[Post New]
Hi - More info on the loss of Folders:

There is definitely a problem with PhD10's handling of folders.

I had nearly completed a project that took a couple days - about 25 photos - and was building layers of each to add a frame in the background for them - simple.

I selected one of the photos that had not yet been layered, and put it on top of the layers that included the background. As I was going to clip the left side of the new photo, it jumped to a 45 degree tilt. As I attempted to straighten it, there was a series of flashes and and all of the project's folders and their sub-folders disappeared, along with their edited photos and the 4 layered photos I had completed and saved. "Disappeared" means they were gone from the project and hard drive.

Fortunately I'm slowly learning to back up everything I do on PhD10, so that I was able to reopen the backup. But the only items that were saved were the photos in the Library. The folders and the edited photos were all gone (or never there) in the backup.

I'm wondering - how many weeks do I have to be afraid of every click I make before someone at Cyberlink finds the problem.

Hint: There have been no updates to the PhD10 drivers since 2018 - while Windows 10 has had at least three major upgrades.

HP Support has put me on hold for updating drivers from Nvidia because they could not keep up on the hardware changes required.

So now I don't know where to go for assistance. I have paid support everywhere but all I'm getting done is my troubleshooting for high-performance graphics and audio. And I'm only a designer/publisher - not a technician.

Is anyone out there getting tired of losing money and time? I spent $2,000 on a new HP ENVY desktop just to get the performance to handle the DirectorSuite 365. I think I've lost my touch on picking hardware and software after 40 years in digital publishing.

How about you, PIX? What's to be done?

jaydigital
Kyle 40
[Post New]
Quote Hi - More info on the loss of Folders:

There is definitely a problem with PhD10's handling of folders.

I had nearly completed a project that took a couple days - about 25 photos - and was building layers of each to add a frame in the background for them - simple.

I selected one of the photos that had not yet been layered, and put it on top of the layers that included the background. As I was going to clip the left side of the new photo, it jumped to a 45 degree tilt. As I attempted to straighten it, there was a series of flashes and and all of the project's folders and their sub-folders disappeared, along with their edited photos and the 4 layered photos I had completed and saved. "Disappeared" means they were gone from the project and hard drive.

Fortunately I'm slowly learning to back up everything I do on PhD10, so that I was able to reopen the backup. But the only items that were saved were the photos in the Library. The folders and the edited photos were all gone (or never there) in the backup.

I'm wondering - how many weeks do I have to be afraid of every click I make before someone at Cyberlink finds the problem.

Hint: There have been no updates to the PhD10 drivers since 2018 - while Windows 10 has had at least three major upgrades.

HP Support has put me on hold for updating drivers from Nvidia because they could not keep up on the hardware changes required.

So now I don't know where to go for assistance. I have paid support everywhere but all I'm getting done is my troubleshooting for high-performance graphics and audio. And I'm only a designer/publisher - not a technician.

Is anyone out there getting tired of losing money and time? I spent $2,000 on a new HP ENVY desktop just to get the performance to handle the DirectorSuite 365. I think I've lost my touch on picking hardware and software after 40 years in digital publishing.

How about you, PIX? What's to be done?

jaydigital

Wow, Jaydigital sounds as if you've through the mill on this one. I think you should start a new thread with this as it appears to be a slightly different problem from what I went thru.
But yes , backing up your work does help enormously but after crashes I've had, even with other software, you can never get back exactly what was on the timeline/work area because some of the work will not have been saved at the point of the crash. But that doesn't explain why your folders would have disappeared, I'm sorry about that but I can't offer any help on this one.

RogerG appears to be having similar problems too Lost edits in PhotoDirector 10

Cheers

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Aug 22. 2019 06:54