Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
How capture highest resolution snapshots from my video?
FrancoisT [Avatar]
Member Joined: Apr 26, 2010 15:03 Messages: 115 Offline
[Post New]
After finally giving up on understanding GIMP on how to do a fairly simple greenscreen image on top of another I tried it in PD16. I actually did way better. However, I couldn't figure out how to send the final result out as a PNG or JPG so I tried a snapshot. Even though one of the photos is 4.6 mb the snapshot comes out only 260 kb. There was a post on a similar question on an earlier version but it spoke of preferences/file and then an option under snapshot allowing the original resolution but I don't find that in PD16? Thanks
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
If you're referrring to this post, the options are all present for PD16. Also note the Save As option when PD asks you to name the screen shot.

There isn't any kind of resolution setting available, but PD seems to intend JPGs for low quality needs (suitable for YouTube thumbnails) with PNG and BMP meant for detailed, full screen captures.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jul 17. 2019 18:41

YouTube/optodata

DS365 | Win11 Pro | Ryzen 9 3950X | RTX 4070 Ti | 32GB RAM | 10TB SSDs | 5K+4K HDR monitors

Canon Vixia GX10 (4K 60p) | HF G30 (HD 60p) | Yi Action+ 4K | 360Fly 4K 360°
FrancoisT [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote If you're referrring to this post, the options are all present for PD16. Also note the Save As option when PD asks you to name the screen shot.

There isn't any kind of resolution setting available, but PD seems to intend JPGs for low quality needs (suitable for YouTube thumbnails) with PNG and BMP meant for detailed, full screen captures.

Thanks for the reply. That link to a previous post looks interesting. Actually this was the post I was referring to: https://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/32594.page
In it he says "Preferences (Alt+C) > File. Under Snapshot check that you have checked 'Use original video size as snapshot image quality wherever possible'. ". I don't have that option in pd16.
tomasc [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 25, 2011 12:33 Messages: 6464 Offline
[Post New]
FrancoisT - If your video is on track 1 of the timeline then try this: Highlight the video clip with the cursor where you want a snapshot. Right mouse click and choose Edit Video/Freeze Frame. This was explained in the forum earlier by Jeff. The referencece post that you refer to for PD14 does not work in PD16 for any video greater than 1920 x 1080 in resoultion.
FrancoisT [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote FrancoisT - If your video is on track 1 of the timeline then try this: Highlight the video clip with the cursor where you want a snapshot. Right mouse click and choose Edit Video/Freeze Frame. This was explained in the forum earlier by Jeff. The referencece post that you refer to for PD14 does not work in PD16 for any video greater than 1920 x 1080 in resoultion.

Sorry if I didn't make it clear. I found GIMP so difficult I gave up after many hours. I could actually do it using PD16. I am trying to use PD16 to put a greenscreened image onto another image as background. I have the background picture on track1 and the cutout picture on track two. I see the image of the 2 tracks combined in the display. I want to see how I can save the highest resolution of the display.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jul 19. 2019 17:11

optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
As I wrote in my earlier post, all you have to do is take a PNG or BMP snapshot.

The full resolution screen capture will be taken, saved to the default folder (or the one that you specified when saving the file), and added to the media library. Simply click on the camera icon under the preview window to do that.

If for any reason that isn't high enough quality for you, please attach the image to your reply using this forum button:

Also, what is the resolution of your source clips? Right click on each one anywhere in PD and choose View Properties

YouTube/optodata

DS365 | Win11 Pro | Ryzen 9 3950X | RTX 4070 Ti | 32GB RAM | 10TB SSDs | 5K+4K HDR monitors

Canon Vixia GX10 (4K 60p) | HF G30 (HD 60p) | Yi Action+ 4K | 360Fly 4K 360°
FrancoisT [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote As I wrote in my earlier post, all you have to do is take a PNG or BMP snapshot.

The full resolution screen capture will be taken, saved to the default folder (or the one that you specified when saving the file), and added to the media library. Simply click on the camera icon under the preview window to do that.

If for any reason that isn't high enough quality for you, please attach the image to your reply using this forum button:

Also, what is the resolution of your source clips? Right click on each one anywhere in PD and choose View Properties

Good you mentioned that about checking each pics properties. I thought I had done the one screen capture as PNG but hadn't. So it got it up to 5mb. I then saved the snapshot of the display as PNG. Thanks!