Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
trim landscape video to show only people in center for portrait on mobiles
NEILPH [Avatar]
Newbie Location: New Zealand Joined: Jun 05, 2019 22:11 Messages: 8 Offline
[Post New]
I'm putting together a pop music video. The majority of viewers will look at in portrait mode on their mobile phone.

I have footage that is in landcape format. The people are in center screen so will fit nicely in portrait mode.

I have the latest Powerbuilder suite. I'm building the video in PowerBuilder. I have the whole Power suite of apps.

There must be a way of trimming my imported video from landscape to portrait. Any suggestions? Thanks.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jul 02. 2019 22:09

AVPlayVideo
Senior Contributor Location: Home Joined: Apr 06, 2016 19:03 Messages: 703 Offline
[Post New]
Quote I'm putting together a pop music video. The majority of viewers will look at in portrait mode on their mobile phone.

I have footage that is in landcape format. The people are in center screen so will fit nicely in portrait mode.

I have the latest Powerbuilder suite. I'm building the video in PowerBuilder. I have the whole Power suite of apps.

There must be a way of trimming my imported video from landscape to portrait. Any suggestions? Thanks.

If I understand right want to convert video in 16x9 format to 9x16 see the video, accompany the mouse.

NEILPH [Avatar]
[Post New]

If I understand right want to convert video in 16x9 format to 9x16 see the video, accompany the mouse.

Thanks very much. I'm following your tutorial video now. Don't delete it yet. I might need to refer to it again. I may ask you questions. Bravo.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jul 09. 2019 04:19

NEILPH [Avatar]
[Post New]

Hi. I am following your tutorial but I have a problem.

See my 3 attached images.

1. an image from my original landscape video

2. I changed it to 9.16 as you did but got this distortion. What have I done wrong?

3. this image I prepared outside PowerDirector. It shows the 9.16 video view I intend.

Have you any suggestions. Thanks. Neil
[Thumb - 3coupleclose_portrait_trim.jpg]
 Filename
3coupleclose_portrait_trim.jpg
[Disk]
 Description
examples of landcape to portrait problem
 Filesize
16 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
5 time(s)
AVPlayVideo
Senior Contributor Location: Home Joined: Apr 06, 2016 19:03 Messages: 703 Offline
[Post New]

Hi. I am following your tutorial but I have a problem.

See my 3 attached images.

1. an image from my original landscape video

2. I changed it to 9.16 as you did but got this distortion. What have I done wrong?

3. this image I prepared outside PowerDirector. It shows the 9.16 video view I intend.

Have you any suggestions. Thanks. Neil

Thanks for the feedback

Pictures 1 and 2 are not here for me to see

After you add the videos to the timeline, change the "Set Project aspect ratio" box to "9:16"

[Thumb - Set Project aspect ratio.jpg]
 Filename
Set Project aspect ratio.jpg
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
71 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
1 time(s)

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jul 04. 2019 08:24

NEILPH [Avatar]
[Post New]

Thanks for the feedback

Pictures 1 and 2 are not here for me to see

After you add the videos to the timeline, change the "Set Project aspect ratio" box to "9:16"

Hi again.

Thanks for your feedback.

My problem comes from "Pasting key attributes". Refer to my attached jpg, which shows the original landscape image and video, and the distorted portrait version of the video..

As you instructed I dropped a photo jpg and a video onto the timeline, selected them and set 9:16.

I then adjusted the photo of the unhappy couple to fit portrait, and clicked "copy frame attributes"

I then selected my video clip and applied "Paste keyframe attributes" The clip then become a distorted closeup of friendly couple.

I find it impossible to avoid that distortion. That's the problem.

How can I fix that? Maybe it's necessary to use the PowerDirector "Crop, zoom and pan" supertool. Have you used that?

All the best.

Neil
[Thumb - landscapecoupledistortedin_portrait - Copy.JPG]
 Filename
landscapecoupledistortedin_portrait - Copy.JPG
[Disk]
 Description
lanscape imports=distorted portrait
 Filesize
37 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
4 time(s)
AVPlayVideo
[Post New]
Now I've seen your project have videos in 16:9 format (landscape) and photo in format (portrait) 9:16

Must apply (Paste Keyframe Attributes) only to videos or photos what is 16:9 format (landscape)

To select only the 16: 9 material in the timeline.

Holding the Ctrl key, click on material 16: 9

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Jul 05. 2019 11:48

XEON-E5-2680 v4 / Mem. 16GB DDR4
M.2 NVME 512Gb / 2-SSD Sata3 1TB
AMD RX570 / Display Philips 272V8
Windows 11_64Pro / PD22/365
NEILPH [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote Now I've seen your project have videos in 16:9 format (landscape) and photo in format (portrait) 9:16

Must apply (Paste Keyframe Attributes) only to videos or photos what is 16:9 format (landscape)

To select only the 16: 9 material in the timeline.

Holding the Ctrl key, click on material 16: 9

The images and videos imported into the project are all 16.9 landscape. The produced final video is all 9.16 portrait.

My problem is that when I add a the Keyframe Attributes I've copied from the image, now 9.16, to the imported 16.9 video. I can't adjust the imported video, now in 9.16, so the action is not distorted.

My video example, attached, shows a landscape of a boy and girl embracing. You can see that when I convert it to portrait it distorts the boy and girl. I can't adjust it to get a normal undistorted video of them.
[Thumb - landscapecoupledistortedin_portrait - Copy.JPG]
 Filename
landscapecoupledistortedin_portrait - Copy.JPG
[Disk]
 Description
landscape boy and girl distorted in portrait
 Filesize
37 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
6 time(s)
AVPlayVideo
[Post New]
After the photo (portrait) went wrong the way and add the same to overlap. XEON-E5-2680 v4 / Mem. 16GB DDR4
M.2 NVME 512Gb / 2-SSD Sata3 1TB
AMD RX570 / Display Philips 272V8
Windows 11_64Pro / PD22/365
ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Hi NEILPH -

What you are trying to do is not that complicated, if I understand you properly.

Have a look at this screen capture. I believe it shows what you're trying to do.

As AVPlayVideo said, you can only copy & paste keyframe attributes between videos/phots that have the same aspect ratio. Anything else will result in distortion.

Cheers - Tony
Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!
NEILPH [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote Hi NEILPH -

What you are trying to do is not that complicated, if I understand you properly.

Have a look at this screen capture. I believe it shows what you're trying to do.

As AVPlayVideo said, you can only copy & paste keyframe attributes between videos/phots that have the same aspect ratio. Anything else will result in distortion.

Cheers - Tony

Tony

I think I've cracked it. My problem [I think] was that I was trying to manually resize the second clip after pasting in the attributes from the first photo.

I might have to come back to you.

Thanks
NEILPH [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote Hi NEILPH -

Cheers - Tony

Hi Tony. I still have a problem converting landscape objects to portrait. I followed the instructions in your YouTube video. It worked. Everything went portrait without distortion.

I wasn't 100% sure I understood it but it worked.

Now I have more landscape images and videos to the project. The first image converted OK to portrait. But then to my horror the videos I'd previously coverted to portrait reverted to landscape.

Here's roughly what I'm doing...

1. I selected the new clip and converted it to 9:16 on the top dropdown menu.
2. I dragged the new image\clip to the timeline. [should I have selected them all again with an outline and dragged them all onto the timeline again?]
3. I selected the first item on the timeline, [a text .jpg created in Paint3D] and used the right-click menu to copy its key frame attributes.
4. I pasted those keyframe attributes to the ensuing images\clips. Everyone of them reverted to landscape, [see the attached screen dump].

It's got to be something simple but I can't see it. Can you. Thanks Neil.
[Thumb - PowerDirector_Portraitproblem.JPG]
 Filename
PowerDirector_Portraitproblem.JPG
[Disk]
 Description
Portraitproblem
 Filesize
114 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
3 time(s)
ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
It's got to be something simple but I can't see it. Can you?

Yes - you've copied the keyframe attributes from a 9:16 object (the text jpg) and pasted them onto 16:9 objects.

You're trying to make a 9:16 video, so do NOT change any of your 9:16 media. It's just right as it is.

In a 9:16 project:

1. Select one 16:9 object (video or photo)

2. Resize & reposition it to match the 9:16 frame

3. Copy its keyframe attributes

4. Paste the keyframe attributes onto the remaining 16:9 media

5. Insert the 9:16 objects (text, photos etc) where you want on the timeline - DO NOT change them by pasting any keyframe attributes!

Cheers - Tony
Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!