Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Internal Error 80040154
Anthony [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Sep 08, 2009 06:51 Messages: 7 Offline
[Post New]
I just purchased a Lite-On blu ray player and it was bundled with PowerDVD8 BD Edition. I am unable to play blu ray discs.

I uninstalled and installed the PowerDVD9 demo and it gives me the same error.

I uninstalled 9 and reinstalled the OEM version with the 8 Ultra patch (should be a little more obvious on which is my version). It seems to have gotten further than without the patch, but is still returning the above error. I was receiving a failed to register error on install but since installing the patch, that is gone.

It also keeps asking me for my region every time I try to play the blu ray disc.

I am running Windows 7 but have tried to run the program in various compatibility modes and receive the same message.

And I would upgrade except I get the same message with the PowerDVD9 I downloaded which doesn't make me too confident it will work.

Any help is greatly appreciated.
Tae [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Sep 10, 2009 15:25 Messages: 4 Offline
[Post New]
I bought a Lite-on iHOS104 Blu-ray drive and it came with PowerDVD 8.0 BD edition.

When I start up PowerDVD 8.0 and press play, Region code selection comes up. I select Region A and click OK and it comes back with error 80040154.

Changes remaining is 0 even though I've never set the region before, never been able to.

I read on the internet that Blu-ray region setting is stored by the media player. Is this true? Why am I having this problem?

Windows Vista Home Basic (64-bit)
Gigabyte EP45-UD3LR
Intel Q9550 Core2 Quad (2.83MHz)
4GB 1066Mhz DDR2
Zotac Nvidia Geforce GTX 295
1TB Western Digital Caviar Green
500MB Western Digital Caviar Green x2 (1TB, RAID 0)
Nvidia Purevideo
K-Lite Codec Pack 64 2.63 (64-bit codec pack)
Vista Codec Pack 5.37 (32-bit codec pack)
Anthony [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote: I bought a Lite-on iHOS104 Blu-ray drive and it came with PowerDVD 8.0 BD edition.

When I start up PowerDVD 8.0 and press play, Region code selection comes up. I select Region A and click OK and it comes back with error 80040154.

Changes remaining is 0 even though I've never set the region before, never been able to.

I read on the internet that Blu-ray region setting is stored by the media player. Is this true? Why am I having this problem?

Gigabyte EP45-UD3LR
Intel Q9550 Core2 Quad (2.83MHz)
4GB 1066Mhz DDR2
Zotac Nvidia Geforce GTX 295
1TB Western Digital Caviar Green
500MB Western Digital Caviar Green x2 (1TB, RAID 0)
Nvidia Purevideo
K-Lite Codec Pack 64 2.63 (64-bit codec pack)
Vista Codec Pack 5.37 (32-bit codec pack)

Same exact problem as mine. Still waiting for an answer.
Tae [Avatar]
[Post New]
Well, no answer or support from Cyberlink...

I found a solution though... Corel WinDVD Pro 2010 can play Blu-ray discs just fine.

It won't play initially because I didn't have a display with HDCP (content protection sucks). I have Geforce GTX 295 with 2 DVI ports. I put a DVI to analog VGA adapter on the 2nd DVI port and hooked it up to the display (has both analog and DVI ports). Setup Windows Vista as having 2 displays, DVI as primary and analog VGA as secondary. I use the analog/digital button on the display to switch between digital and analog screen. I moved the WinDVD to the analog display and then it will let me play Blu-ray discs. I can drag apps to the analog screen so I can watch Blu-ray movies while working or browsing.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Sep 11. 2009 20:38

Anthony [Avatar]
[Post New]
Here is an update:

Did a clean install of Windows 7 32-bit and installed the latest ATI Catalyst 9.9. I then installed the disk (used run as administrator) that came with my Lite-on player.

The Power DVD 8 version is 8.0.2606a.50.

During the install, I received the following error:

error 1904.Module c:\ProgramFiles\Cyberlink\PowerDVD8\VideoFilter\CLTzan.ax failed to register. HRESULT -2147220473. Contact your support personnel.

The install completed.

I put in a DVD and it played fine.

When I put in a blu-ray disc, it asked for a region code. It was defaulted to B and remaining times was 0 and grayed out. I selected A and clicked ok.

I then get the following error:

Error code 80040154
Internal error.
The error code is undefined.

Contact http://support.gocyberlink.com.

When I try again, I get the same region as if it was never entered. I also get the same error.

I have put in a support ticket and am waiting for a reply. If anyone has any input, it would be greatly appreciated.
Tae [Avatar]
[Post New]
I installed the PowerDVD 8.0 BD edition on my laptop since I didn't need another DVD player on my desktop machine.

Surprise, I got the Blu-ray region with 5 changes on the laptop. But I don't even have a Blu-ray drive, just a DVD. I stuck a Blu-ray disc in the drive to be sure, but all it did was try to read it. It kept trying, but odviously couldn't.

So maybe it is the optical drives... so I disconnected them on the desktop and installed PowerDVD again. No good. The option for Blu-ray region is grayed out with 0 changes available.

Optical drives on the desktop:
Liteon iHOS104-06
LG HL-DT-ST DVD-RAM GH22LP20

The laptop is HPG60-235DX Notebook PC with a Slimtype DVD A DS8A2L-A.
Windows Vista Home Premium (32-bit)

Why does it allow Blu-ray region on a laptop without a Blu-ray drive, but not on a desktop with one? Very strange.
Tae [Avatar]
[Post New]
I installed the PowerDVD 8.0 update Lite-On.3228U_TaRe43_DVD090826-07.exe

It's still no good.

Error code 80040154 is Class not registered.