Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
PowerDirector 17 not rendering edits made in ColorDirector
Deinonych [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jun 27, 2019 00:17 Messages: 6 Offline
[Post New]
Hello,

I seem to be having a problem with PowerDirector rendering final output correctly. When I launch ColorDirector 7 from within PowerDirector 17, everything seems to work correctly. I can color grade the clip, and my changes will be saved back to PowerDirector (i.e. the graded clip appears in the preview window). However, when I go to render the clip, it renders extremely fast and the output file does not have the color grading applied. The only way I can get the color grading to render is if I apply one of the items from the Fix/Enhance window like Video Stabilizer. Applying this increases render times many fold and is really not something I want in all of my videos.

Any ideas on how I can fix this?
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
I haven't seen that problem. I just tried exactly those steps, and like you I see the correct color changes when I preview. However, when I produce, it takes much longer than if I hadn't made any color changes, and the clip is produced correctly.

I have 3 suggestions to diagnose and possibly work around the problem :

1. After returning to PD17 from CD7, save the project file and close PD17. Then reopen PD and see if the expected color changes are still in place. If they are lost, you may want to produce the clip in CD7 and simply import it in PD17 and replace the existing clip on the timeline.

2. In the Produce room of PD, check the Enable preview during production checkbox, and see if the color changes are being applied to the output clip. If not, produce with CD as in step 1

3. Make sure you're running the latest PD version. If you have the subscription/365 license, the brand new 17.6.3004 version was just released, and that's what I'm doing my testing with. If you have the lifetime license, a similar patch should be released very soon.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jun 27. 2019 01:49

Deinonych [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote I haven't seen that problem. I just tried exactly those steps, and like you I see the correct color changes when I preview. However, when I produce, it takes much longer than if I hadn't made any color changes, and the clip is produced correctly.

I have 3 suggestions to diagnose and possibly work around the problem :

1. After returning to PD17 from CD7, save the project file and close PD17. Then reopen PD and see if the expected color changes are still in place. If they are lost, you may want to produce the clip in CD7 and simply import it in PD17 and replace the existing clip on the timeline.

2. In the Produce room of PD, check the Enable preview during production checkbox, and see if the color changes are being applied to the output clip. If not, produce with CD as in step 1

3. Make sure you're running the latest PD version. If you have the subscription/365 license, the brand new 17.6.3004 version was just released, and that's what I'm doing my testing with. If you have the lifetime license, a similar patch should be released very soon.

Thanks for the response. I tried the suggestions made above, and below are my findings:

1. Saving the file after editing in CD7, then closing PD17 and reopening shows that the changes are still in place. Rendering still ignores the CD7 changes.

2. Enabling preview during production simply doesn't work. No preview is shown (just a blank window) unless an item from Fix/Enhance is checked.

3. I checked the version number, and I am indeed running 17.6.3004

Just for grins, I did a fresh install of both PD17 and CD7 on a separate PC that has never had the software installed. I'm getting the same results. Curiously, the video renders properly when "Fast video rendering technology" is unchecked. Both machines are using Nvidia video hardware. I know there have been problems with Nvidia GPUs and hardware accelerated rendering, so perhaps this is related to that?
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
Thanks for posting the results of your testing. I've never seen a blank preview window, and it's obviously not an issue with your PC since you see the same results on a new install on another system, so I think the issue may be with your source clip.

Can you upload it to a cloud folder and paste the link here?

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jun 27. 2019 13:02

YouTube/optodata

DS365 | Win11 Pro | Ryzen 9 3950X | RTX 4070 Ti | 32GB RAM | 10TB SSDs | 5K+4K HDR monitors

Canon Vixia GX10 (4K 60p) | HF G30 (HD 60p) | Yi Action+ 4K | 360Fly 4K 360°
Deinonych [Avatar]
[Post New]
Certainly. Below is a link to the source video on my Dropbox account. Thank you!

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ns62p44z0kjaopu/P1000363.MOV?dl=0
Deinonych [Avatar]
[Post New]
For what it's worth, I also tried the same process with a different file altogether (MP4 video from my Mavic Air) and am still getting the same rendering probems.
optodata
[Post New]
Thanks for sharing this. There's definitely a compatibility issue between PD and the clip, because I see the same behavior with the preview not appearing and a very fast produce after applying a CLUT in CD7.

I tried a few different things and will do some more testing when I have more time, but for now, I think the best workaround is to convert the file to another format before trying CD7. An SVRT version has the same problems, and the first format I found that works is a custom H.265/HEVC 60p profile.

If you download this converted clip and try the same edits, the preview should work if you have the enable box checked and the video should be produced correctly. Be sure to produce to H.264/AVC to force a full re-encode.

There may be other options that work, and I'll see if I can figure out the exact issue with this clip, but in the mean time you should file a report with tech support from this page. Be sure to post the URL of this forum thread in your message, and follow up by posting the ticket number back here. It will start with CS.

YouTube/optodata

DS365 | Win11 Pro | Ryzen 9 3950X | RTX 4070 Ti | 32GB RAM | 10TB SSDs | 5K+4K HDR monitors

ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Deinonych & optodata -

I checked the original clip using the perpetual versions of PDR17 & CDR6, applying a LUT in both cases.

First I by-passed PDR & imported, adjusted & produced the video in CDR6. The colour adjustments are present in the produced video.

Next, I followed the steps you both took (above)... imported into PDR17 - sent to CDR6 for adjustment - returned to PDR17 to produce. The colour adjustments are present in the produced file.

Further to the above, neither CDR6 nor PDR17 produced the "lutted" videos in unusually quick time... AND there was preview during production.

I'm in the middle of testing the subscription version (PDR17.6) on a different PC & I'll post the results later (it's a very slow & ageing PC). I can report that there IS a preview during production & that it's NOT producing quickly at all!

Cheers - Tony

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jun 27. 2019 21:51

Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!
ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
DOH! Now I realise why it's taking so long... in the 365 test, I applied a colour preset (not a LUT) in CDR. This old PC is slow - but when rendering using colour presets it's ridiculous! i7 920 GTX260 should give you an indication.

Since I last posted, I've been outside and pressure cleaned about 60 square metres of mossy driveway... came back in and the thing is still less than half way through producing. The attached screenshot of PDR 365 shows the production preview.

That's all I've got, so far.

Cheers - Tony
[Thumb - Production Preview 365.jpg]
 Filename
Production Preview 365.jpg
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
1178 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
4 time(s)

Deinonych [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thank you optodata and ynotfish. I'll submit a support ticket with a link to this thread. It's a bit of a head-scratcher that the video has some sort of an incompatibility. It was shot with a Panasonic GH5, which is one of the most widely-used MFT cameras being used for video (even production video).

I appreciate the help!
optodata
[Post New]
Tony, thanks for posting your findings. It seems we have some very different outcomes!

If I apply a CLUT in CDR7, it produces the original clip as expected and takes a long time, just like you wrote.

If I take the original clip (with or without a CLUT) and try to produce to the Best Matched profile (which is M2TS), I get this message:

I get the same message whether I try to produce using my nVidia RTX 2070 (v430.86); my Intel UHD Graphics 630 (v.6912); or using only the CPU. For some reason, PD can't produce the best-matched profile for this clip on my machine, but I don't know what the issue is.

I then changed the profile to a custom 4K 60p (it's the Intelligent SVRT profile for my new Canon GX10), then clicked on Start with Enable preview during production and (nVidia) Hardware video encoder selected and saw the exact issue that Deinonych described:

Even stranger, when I tried the same thing with QuickSync and produce preview enabled, I got this message:

This has NEVER been the case before! The only time that preview during producing wasn't allowed up until now was when producing with SVRT, so this may have something to do with why OP and I aren't seeing a preview, even though neither of us saw this dialog box before. It doesn't explain why the CLUT isn't being applied, though.

To muddy the waters further, I unchecked the preview box to make sure I was complying with the message, and guess what the produce screen showed?

A full preview and the CLUT was being applied!

From where I sit, there seem to be at least a couple of different issues at play here, at least two of which strongly look to be new 17.6 issues...

YouTube/optodata

ynotfish
[Post New]
WOW! optodata - just WOW! What a strange set of occurences.

Maybe they should ban us from being in the same discussion - more often than not we seem to come up with inconsistent findings.

My poor old PC, running PDR17.6.3004.0 (365 version) finally finished rendering Deinonych's original .MOV file with the "Scuba Diving" colour preset applied in CDR.

1. Preview was available during production

2. The produced file had the adjusted colour present

So - it may be a 365 (latest version) issue... or it may be hardware related... or wind direction/humidity... undecided

Cheers - Tony
Deinonych [Avatar]
[Post New]
So a quick update on this topic. After troubleshooting with technical support over several message exchanges, I'm pleased to report that the problem has been resolved. They provided me with a hotfix that allowed me to use hardware encoding with the ColorDirector edits intact. I suspect this hotfix will be part of the next release of PD17.

Thanks again for all the assistance!