Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Problems with Win10 May 2019 (1903) update [Clean install ONLY]
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
UPDATE: This issue seems to only happen with a clean install, which is wiping your drive and starting over from scratch. If Win10 updates itself to 1903, so far it looks like PD17 will work normally.

I'm not sure how widespread this issue may be, but on my main editing PC I can't use PD17 after upgrading to the May 2019 update of Win10. For anyone else doing the 1903 upgrade, it's probably a good idea to see if PD can produce a video so you can roll back if there's a problem.

Here's a quick screen capture showing the crash, which is very similar to the "crash on produce" issue that came up last fall with new Intel video drivers, but I believe this has a different cause:

This issue happens consistently. I have tried with my nVidia RTX2070 enabled, then with my Intel UHD Graphics 630. I have tried nVidia v430.86 and 419.67 drivers, and with various combinations of hardware acceleration enabled and disabled, but I cannot keep PD17 from crashing. PD12, 13, 14 and ColorDirector 7 can all produce normally, so it's only PD17 with the issue. I can't say whether PD15 or 16 would be affected, however.

Before I knew there was an issue, I updated my Surface Pro 3 to Win10 1903 and everything went smoothly with an in-place install. PD17 works normally on it, and I've included the DxDiag from that machine in the attached archive for comparison.

My desktop wasn't able to do an in-place update. It kept rolling back due to a "DATA_MIGRATION" error when it reached about 89%, so I did a clean install from the ground up, and that's where the problem has appeared. In the screen recording, you can see that the faulting module is MSVCR100.dll.

The attached archive is mostly for Cyberlink. It contains the DxDiag results for my i9 when running 1809 (the Win10 version before the update) and the May 2019 update, 1903. I also created a debug log for PD17 using WinDbg (x64) on both Win10 versions doing the same basic steps as shown in the screen capture, and maybe these will help in the diagnostics.

I have gone back to a system image I made right before the update, and I can switch between OS versions in about 20 min if more troubleshooting is needed.

Support ticket is CS002028342
 Filename
Crash details.zip
[Disk]
 Description
3 DxDiag files + 2 debug sessions
 Filesize
74 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
410 time(s)

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Jun 11. 2019 16:59

YouTube/optodata

DS365 | Win11 Pro | Ryzen 9 3950X | RTX 4070 Ti | 32GB RAM | 10TB SSDs | 5K+4K HDR monitors

Canon Vixia GX10 (4K 60p) | HF G30 (HD 60p) | Yi Action+ 4K | 360Fly 4K 360°
[Post New]
This is a worry as I'm just updating my version of Windows as we speak!

I shall let you know if I'm suffering the same problem.
TDK1044 [Avatar]
Member Joined: Apr 11, 2019 12:27 Messages: 130 Offline
[Post New]
Quote This is a worry as I'm just updating my version of Windows as we speak!

I shall let you know if I'm suffering the same problem.

I've produced several videos using 1903 with no issues.
ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Hi optodata -

No PDR17 (or other) problems are evident here after installing the most recent 1903 update.

Cheers - Tony
Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!
[Post New]
Same with me. It all seems to be working as it should.
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
Thanks to all for responding!

I tried the in-place update again today after installing the new "Patch Tuesday" updates and uninstalling my AVG Antivirus, and this time the update to 1903 succeeded.

Like my Surface Pro 3 and the rest of you, PD17 is now working correctly, so the issue seems to be related to me originally doing a clean Win10 1903 install, and not a normal update. If that's the case, the vast majority of people will simply upgrade and I imagine this won't become a huge issue.

Meanwhile, I'll keep my problem 1903 system image handy and will continue working with CL to understand what went wrong there.

YouTube/optodata

DS365 | Win11 Pro | Ryzen 9 3950X | RTX 4070 Ti | 32GB RAM | 10TB SSDs | 5K+4K HDR monitors

Cronm [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jun 14, 2019 17:54 Messages: 1 Offline
[Post New]
Quote UPDATE: This issue seems to only happen with a clean install, which is wiping your drive and starting over from scratch. If Win10 updates itself to 1903, so far it looks like PD17 will work normally.

I'm not sure how widespread this issue may be, but on my main editing PC I can't use PD17 after upgrading to the May 2019 update of Win10. For anyone else doing the 1903 upgrade, it's probably a good idea to see if PD can produce a video so you can roll back if there's a problem.

Here's a quick screen capture showing the crash, which is very similar to the "crash on produce" issue that came up last fall with new Intel video drivers, but I believe this has a different cause:

This issue happens consistently. I have tried with my nVidia RTX2070 enabled, then with my Intel UHD Graphics 630. I have tried nVidia v430.86 and 419.67 drivers, and with various combinations of hardware acceleration enabled and disabled, but I cannot keep PD17 from crashing. PD12, 13, 14 and ColorDirector 7 can all produce normally, so it's only PD17 with the issue. I can't say whether PD15 or 16 would be affected, however.

Before I knew there was an issue, I updated my Surface Pro 3 to Win10 1903 and everything went smoothly with an in-place install. PD17 works normally on it, and I've included the DxDiag from that machine in the attached archive for comparison.

My desktop wasn't able to do an in-place update. It kept rolling back due to a "DATA_MIGRATION" error when it reached about 89%, so I did a clean install from the ground up, and that's where the problem has appeared. In the screen recording, you can see that the faulting module is MSVCR100.dll.

The attached archive is mostly for Cyberlink. It contains the DxDiag results for my i9 when running 1809 (the Win10 version before the update) and the May 2019 update, 1903. I also created a debug log for PD17 using WinDbg (x64) on both Win10 versions doing the same basic steps as shown in the screen capture, and maybe these will help in the diagnostics.

I have gone back to a system image I made right before the update, and I can switch between OS versions in about 20 min if more troubleshooting is needed.

Support ticket is CS002028342

Same problem here, with Win 10 May 1903 Update. PowerDirector 17 365 is unusable. I tried drivers, full reinstall os Windows + PD17, enable/disable hardware, shadow files.. etc, and keeps failing.
Previous Windows version was 1803 and PD17 was stable.

My setups is Ryzen 2700X Nvidia 1080ti 32GB RAM.

CPU Usages is less than 5%. UI is lagged and crash. We need update from Cyberlink or Microsoft or both.
optodata
[Post New]
Cyberlink is working on it, but that's all I know at the moment. I'll post back as soon as I have any news.

For now, is there any chance that you made a system image when you were on 1803? That would get PD running again ASAP, and then you can try an in-place upgrade to 1903.

Right after the upgrade, you had an opportunity to roll back if there were any problems, but if you've already wiped the original drive and done a full clean 1903 install, the only way to go back is to restore a system image or download a copy of the 1803 or 1809 ISO and rebuild your system.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jun 15. 2019 19:31

YouTube/optodata

blasiusxx [Avatar]
Contributor Joined: Mar 12, 2011 09:44 Messages: 330 Offline
[Post New]
Thank you very much for the Info, opdata.

Then once a clean install is out of the question. The upgrade to the 1903 runs so far without any major problems, and PD17 crashes not synonymous. I hope that will be fixed soon.