Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Asus Chromebook C302C audio issue
infoxicated [Avatar]
Newbie Location: Scotland Joined: May 31, 2019 03:51 Messages: 6 Offline
[Post New]
I've successfully edited a bunch of videos on my Chromebook, using PowerDirector Mobile and the 720p files taken directly from my Sony CX625 camcorder.

However, I thought I'd try the 1080p files to improve the quality but when PowerDirector plays them, both in preview and in the timeline, the audio comes out as a hissing sound.

I can preview these files directly from the folder on the Chromebook and on the camcorder so there's no issue with the files. It would appear to be an unsupported codec causing this in PowerDirector but I'm not sure how to remedy this.

Is there any solution or will I have to switch to editing on desktop?
PowerDirector Moderator [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: New Taipei City, Taiwan Joined: Oct 18, 2016 00:25 Messages: 2104 Offline
[Post New]
Quote I've successfully edited a bunch of videos on my Chromebook, using PowerDirector Mobile and the 720p files taken directly from my Sony CX625 camcorder.

However, I thought I'd try the 1080p files to improve the quality but when PowerDirector plays them, both in preview and in the timeline, the audio comes out as a hissing sound.

I can preview these files directly from the folder on the Chromebook and on the camcorder so there's no issue with the files. It would appear to be an unsupported codec causing this in PowerDirector but I'm not sure how to remedy this.

Is there any solution or will I have to switch to editing on desktop?

Hi,
The audio recording formats in the camera specs are:
Dolby Digital 5.1ch, Dolby Digital 5.1Creator11, Dolby Digital 2ch Stereo, Dolby Digital Stereo Creator11, MPEG-4 AAC-LC 2ch12, MPEG-4 Linear PCM 2ch(48kHz/16bit)13

Can you provide details of the audio format for the recordings with the issue, and perhaps try differing audio formats for recording?

Cheers
PoweerDirector Moderator
infoxicated [Avatar]
[Post New]
It would appear that the AVCHD files aren't supported by PowerDirector Mobile.

I'll switch to Adobe Premiere Pro for this project as it's not like I can go back and record everything in a different format.
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
Quote It would appear that the AVCHD files aren't supported by PowerDirector Mobile.

I'll switch to Adobe Premiere Pro for this project as it's not like I can go back and record everything in a different format.

I just checked my app with an AVCHD clip from a Canon Vixia, and I also get hiss/static because its audio format is PCM, which the mobile app does not support. Quickly converting the audio to AC3 with SVRT in the Windows version of PD (or using a 3rd party app like Handbrake) solves the issue.
infoxicated [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thanks for confirming that's the case.

Unfortunately, I don't have Power Director on my Windows machine - I like to do my video editing on my Chromebook during my commute to fill the dead time. I'll have to settle for doing it at home with Premiere.
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
Quote Thanks for confirming that's the case.

Unfortunately, I don't have Power Director on my Windows machine - I like to do my video editing on my Chromebook during my commute to fill the dead time. I'll have to settle for doing it at home with Premiere.

You still have a couple of options. For your existing clips, you can try an Android-based converter, like one of these apps. For new clips, you can simply change the Sony's audio setting to AAC and the audio will play correctly in the PD app.
infoxicated [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thanks for the tip. I'll look at the camcorder settings to see what I can change for future use.

Do you know if there's a technical reason that PowerDirector Mobile doesn't support the original format?
optodata
[Post New]
Quote Thanks for the tip. I'll look at the camcorder settings to see what I can change for future use.

Do you know if there's a technical reason that PowerDirector Mobile doesn't support the original format?

I personally have no idea. Perhaps PDM has more info.

For your camera's recording settings, the owners manual shows 3 different options: XAVC S (which is the format you seem to be using since it's the only one that uses PCM audio), and also AVCHD and MP4. Those record audio in Dolby Digital and AAC, respectively, so either one should work with the PD app.
infoxicated [Avatar]
[Post New]
Nice one - that saves me trawling through the settings. I've been recording in dual format for a while and editing the 720p versions but it's only recently I've decided to edit in 1080p so the fact PowerDirector Mobile didn't support the audio codec I had chosen was news to me.

Unfortunately, I can't go back and attend the 2019 Indy 500 all over again to re-record the footage, but at least I'll know for future use!