Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Undocked Preview window dissapears
CodyVlogs [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Nov 16, 2018 19:46 Messages: 1 Offline
[Post New]

I use to use powerdirector 16 but recently bought 365 and am having a weird problem. Whenever I undock the preview window it completely dissapears. This didn't happen when I was using PD16. I also have two monitors, but it doesn't show up on either.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at May 28. 2019 19:35

PowerDirector Moderator [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: New Taipei City, Taiwan Joined: Oct 18, 2016 00:25 Messages: 2104 Offline
[Post New]
I use to use powerdirector 16 but recently bought 365 and am having a weird problem. Whenever I undock the preview window it completely dissapears. This didn't happen when I was using PD16. I also have two monitors, but it doesn't show up on either.

Hi,
Try playing with the primary and secondary display configuration. I had the same issue and, if I recall correctly, in amongst the other testing, I swapped my primary and secondary display around and that seemed to cure the issue. However, it was also mixed in with upgrading display monitors - so I cannot be 100% certain.

Cheers
PowerDirector Moderator
ARinWA [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: May 13, 2020 03:30 Messages: 3 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Guys
I have the same problem I have been trying to resolve for the past week or more. When I undock the preview window it disappears altogether, and the only I can get it back is to close down the program and re open it.

This happens when I am using either one monitor or two.

I have tried changing the resolution on both monitors and changing the monitor set as the master and a bunch of other tricks but to no avail the undocked preview window does not show up.

My guess is it has at some stage been dragged off the screen and remains out of view.

Is there a Registry setting I can reset to make it go back to the default location?

Look forward to any good advice : )
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
Click on the window size icon at the top right of PD to take it out of full screen mode and see if the preview window shows up. If so, drag it where you want it to be then close PD and reopen it to confirm.

If the preview window remains off-screen, use Alt+Tab to select it, then use the Alt+spacebar+M keys to move the window and use the mouse or arrow keys to drag the window onto the main screen.

YouTube/optodata

DS365 | Win11 Pro | Ryzen 9 3950X | RTX 4070 Ti | 32GB RAM | 10TB SSDs | 5K+4K HDR monitors

Canon Vixia GX10 (4K 60p) | HF G30 (HD 60p) | Yi Action+ 4K | 360Fly 4K 360°
ARinWA [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hi Thanks for the reply.

No luck with any of those tips. Once undocked the preview window dosent act like another application window, eg it cant be selected by using Alt/Tab and it doesnt show up in the task bar as another open window so you cant actually select it in anyway.
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
Alt+spacebar+M will definitely work as long as you do it as soon as you undock the preview window. You should actually see the floating "move window" cursor at one edge of your screen, although it may not be obvious until you move your mouse.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at May 14. 2020 22:06

ARinWA [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hi Again

So strange thing, alt spacebar M will not work on PowerDirector at all for me, neither the main application window or the undocked preview window, (or even the undocked media preview window which I can undock and see and redock again like normal)

I have tried opening another program and switching that one to being active and alt spacebar M will work on that one no problem, but alt tab or click back on Powerdirector to make it active and alt spacebar M does nothing, this is both before and after I have undocked the preview window.
optodata
[Post New]
I'm sorry to hear it didn't work. I used that trick 2 days ago when I was setting up a new 5K monitor and it worked exactly as I've described.

Have you tried setting PD's main window to be smaller than full screen? It's a 2 step process to take it out of full screen mode and then manually resizing it. Another thing you can try is to change the setting of Scale and layout from Windows' Display Settings panel while keeping the display resolution fixed.

One last way out of this mess would be to uninstall PD17 and then reinstall it. Make sure you have the installer handy, otherwise you'll need to contact CL tech support and it may take them a couple of days to respond.

YouTube/optodata

DS365 | Win11 Pro | Ryzen 9 3950X | RTX 4070 Ti | 32GB RAM | 10TB SSDs | 5K+4K HDR monitors

Canon Vixia GX10 (4K 60p) | HF G30 (HD 60p) | Yi Action+ 4K | 360Fly 4K 360°
David12345 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: May 03, 2020 22:17 Messages: 4 Offline
[Post New]
Quote I'm sorry to hear it didn't work. I used that trick 2 days ago when I was setting up a new 5K monitor and it worked exactly as I've described.

Have you tried setting PD's main window to be smaller than full screen? It's a 2 step process to take it out of full screen mode and then manually resizing it. Another thing you can try is to change the setting of Scale and layout from Windows' Display Settings panel while keeping the display resolution fixed.

One last way out of this mess would be to uninstall PD17 and then reinstall it. Make sure you have the installer handy, otherwise you'll need to contact CL tech support and it may take them a couple of days to respond.

Hi guys,

Have the same big issue, both with 1 or 2 screens.
Because my language is not English, I changed the language to English in order to see Scale and layout. To change the language, you need to restart PD. And when it opened up (with English menus), the window came back... I will go to my first language again and hope the window will remain!
David12345 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: May 03, 2020 22:17 Messages: 4 Offline
[Post New]

Hi guys,

Have the same big issue, both with 1 or 2 screens.
Because my language is not English, I changed the language to English in order to see Scale and layout. To change the language, you need to restart PD. And when it opened up (with English menus), the window came back... I will go to my first language again and hope the window will remain!

Restarting to my first language, the preview wndow was still here.
Hence changing the language twice is a way of solving that strange issue.
Thank you so much.

David
tomballard [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Mar 25, 2015 00:16 Messages: 33 Offline
[Post New]
I have the same issue. Pushed the button to untether the viewing screen and it disappeared. I don't see it hidden on either monitor and now don't even care to untether it again. I'd be happy to go back to the standard view so I can finish my video without having to write notes asking for help.
Joel_garner [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Mar 19, 2022 18:16 Messages: 2 Offline
[Post New]

im having the same problem. its driving me insane.
optodata
[Post New]
You didn't say which version of PD you have, or whether you've tried any of the steps I wrote about above.

In newer versions of PD, you can right-click on any empty area in the Media Room and choose the highlighted option: