Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
HOW DO YOU SCALE A SD VIDEO TO LOOK SMALLER ON A UHD DISPLAY
Eugen157
Senior Contributor Location: Palm Springs area, So.CA Joined: Dec 10, 2012 13:57 Messages: 662 Offline
[Post New]
Hi
we just looked at a 20 year old SD video on a 75" UHD display and it was pretty grim. Is there a simple way for PD14 to scale it so that it will show 7 times smaller or watever the UHD/SD ratio is.

Thanks

Eugene.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at May 26. 2019 20:06

73s, WA6JZN ex DL9GC
CYBERLINK PLEASE ADD UHD BLU RAY BURNING SOFTWARE
PD14,
Win10,64bit.CPU i7 6700,16GB ,C= 480 GB SSD ,GPU GTX1060 6GB 1 fan. Plus 3 int, 4 ext HDD's for video etc.LG WH16NS40 reads UHD.
4K 24" ViewSonic monitor.Camera Sony FDR-A
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
Quote Hi
we just looked at a 20 year old SD video on a 75" UHD display and it looks pretty grim. Is there a simple way for PD14 to scale it so that it will show 7 times smaller or watever the UHD/SD ratio is.

There are two ways I can think of off the top of my head.

The first is to see if the TV has any scaling settings built in that might let you view your SD clip at a 1x scale (no upconversion). That would cause the video to be dsiplayed as tiny window, but it would be at its original quality.

If you want to force the TV to display the clip in ots origina; resolution, scale the clip down in PD using the numbers from this table (again, the clip will show as a tiny rectangle when previewing) and then produce the clip at the TV's full UHD resolution. That way, the frame fills the whole screen and the SD content will display pixel for pixel at its original resolution.

For example, if your TV's resolution is 4096x2160 and your SD clip is 640x480, set the Scale in the PiP Designer to 0.156, which is the ratio of the clip's horizontal resolution divided by the TV's (640 / 4096 = 0.156). You could also try 0.222, which is the ratio of the vertical pixels.

You might even want to play around with slightly bigger numbers to see if you can get the clip a little bigger without losing too much quality.

YouTube/optodata

DS365 | Win11 Pro | Ryzen 9 3950X | RTX 4070 Ti | 32GB RAM | 10TB SSDs | 5K+4K HDR monitors

Canon Vixia GX10 (4K 60p) | HF G30 (HD 60p) | Yi Action+ 4K | 360Fly 4K 360°
Eugen157
Senior Contributor Location: Palm Springs area, So.CA Joined: Dec 10, 2012 13:57 Messages: 662 Offline
[Post New]

There are two ways I can think of off the top of my head.

The first is to see if the TV has any scaling settings built in that might let you view your SD clip at a 1x scale (no upconversion). That would cause the video to be dsiplayed as tiny window, but it would be at its original quality.

If you want to force the TV to display the clip in ots origina; resolution, scale the clip down in PD using the numbers from this table (again, the clip will show as a tiny rectangle when previewing) and then produce the clip at the TV's full UHD resolution. That way, the frame fills the whole screen and the SD content will display pixel for pixel at its original resolution.

For example, if your TV's resolution is 4096x2160 and your SD clip is 640x480, set the Scale in the PiP Designer to 0.156, which is the ratio of the clip's horizontal resolution divided by the TV's (640 / 4096 = 0.156). You could also try 0.222, which is the ratio of the vertical pixels.

You might even want to play around with slightly bigger numbers to see if you can get the clip a little bigger without losing too much quality.

Well,
I knew the brains on this forum would come up with an answer.

Thanks

Eugene 73s, WA6JZN ex DL9GC
CYBERLINK PLEASE ADD UHD BLU RAY BURNING SOFTWARE
PD14,
Win10,64bit.CPU i7 6700,16GB ,C= 480 GB SSD ,GPU GTX1060 6GB 1 fan. Plus 3 int, 4 ext HDD's for video etc.LG WH16NS40 reads UHD.
4K 24" ViewSonic monitor.Camera Sony FDR-A