Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Smart Fit doesn't work with 16:9 aspect ratio
MichaelGyori2019 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Nov 09, 2018 18:50 Messages: 1 Offline
[Post New]
Whenever I select a 16:9 aspect ratio for the DVD video, Smart Fit isn't smart. It's very unsmart. It doesn't compress the video to fit 4700mb, making it impossible to burn larger 16:9 videos to the DVD.

Anyone know of a solution?
BarryTheCrab
Senior Contributor Location: USA Joined: Nov 06, 2008 22:18 Messages: 6240 Offline
[Post New]
Welcome to the volunteer forum.
Smartfit does work with 16:9 video, so you have an issue.
How long is your video?
What video format/codec? HP Envy Phoenix/4thGen i7-4770(4@3.4GHz~turbo>3.9)
Nvidia GTX 960(4GB)/16GB DDR3/
Canon Vixia HV30/HF-M40/HF-M41/HF-G20/Olympus E-PL5.
Tape capture using 6 VCR, TBC-1000, Elite BVP4+, Sony D8 camcorder with TBC.
https://www.facebook.com/BarryAFTT
JL_JL [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Arizona, USA Joined: Oct 01, 2006 20:01 Messages: 6091 Offline
[Post New]
Quote Whenever I select a 16:9 aspect ratio for the DVD video, Smart Fit isn't smart. It's very unsmart. It doesn't compress the video to fit 4700mb, making it impossible to burn larger 16:9 videos to the DVD.

MichaelGyori2019, if you are referring to an error like in the attached pic when using Smart Fit, that's a pretty common problem with Smart Fit on DVD or BD, still not addressed in PD17, however, several workarounds may exists. If you are referring to some other type error or issue, posting a few pics would help to see the issue and if any workarounds exist.

You are right, it could be much smarter.

Jeff
[Thumb - PD16_SmartFit.png]
 Filename
PD16_SmartFit.png
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
493 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
8 time(s)
AVPlayVideo
Senior Contributor Location: Home Joined: Apr 06, 2016 19:03 Messages: 703 Offline
[Post New]
Quote Whenever I select a 16:9 aspect ratio for the DVD video, Smart Fit isn't smart. It's very unsmart. It doesn't compress the video to fit 4700mb, making it impossible to burn larger 16:9 videos to the DVD.

In PD the 4.7Gb DVD. (16x9) only fits 1 hour (Smart Fit, selected) 2 hours, in (4X3) fits more.
Option to create DVD-DL or use another DVD-Video creator.
I use the DVD-DL 8.5Gb option.
Save the DVD to a folder in HD, then use another app that compresses DVD8.5 to DVD4.7
The old DVD Shrink or Nero Recode
Fast process, little loss of quality.
VanLazarus [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jan 04, 2019 00:40 Messages: 3 Offline
[Post New]

MichaelGyori2019, if you are referring to an error like in the attached pic when using Smart Fit, that's a pretty common problem with Smart Fit on DVD or BD, still not addressed in PD17, however, several workarounds may exists. If you are referring to some other type error or issue, posting a few pics would help to see the issue and if any workarounds exist.

You are right, it could be much smarter.

Jeff

No, I'm not getting an error. Smart fit just simply doesn't choose to compress the video small enough to fit onto a 4.7gb disc. For some reason, choosing the 16:9 aspect ratio makes it lose it's mind. And I'm prevented from burning because the media is too large.

This is the last time I use this software. It has wasted so much of my time, has too many bugs, performs very slowly, and I have to pay $30 each time I want technical support. Garbage. Don't waste your money with any Cyberlink products.
VanLazarus [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jan 04, 2019 00:40 Messages: 3 Offline
[Post New]

In PD the 4.7Gb DVD. (16x9) only fits 1 hour (Smart Fit, selected) 2 hours, in (4X3) fits more.
Option to create DVD-DL or use another DVD-Video creator.
I use the DVD-DL 8.5Gb option.
Save the DVD to a folder in HD, then use another app that compresses DVD8.5 to DVD4.7
The old DVD Shrink or Nero Recode
Fast process, little loss of quality.

I have 4:3 content that I just want it to compress to fit, while maintaining a nice 16:9 aspect ratio for the menus and modern TVs. That's all. I don't care if it has to compress it to a lower bit-rate.

Why is there an arbitrary 1 hour limit on 16:9 content? It still is using 720x480 resolution for all the content, just not square pixels for 16:9. When I select 4:3 aspect, smart fit has no problem fitting my videos into a 4.7gb disc.

Smart Fit should work regardless of aspect ratio selected.

How can software in it's 17th version have basic problems like this that cripple important functionality?

Yes, I realize that DVD authoring is old-school, but it's a software tool in Power Director that should work.

Add these brutal problems to the list:
1) Brutal performance when editing text.... My super computer takes seconds to come out of a coma with a text field is changed.
2) Ommissions of simple features like auto centering of altered text. I change text and actually have to select the horizontal centering button again. Which is all very slow because changing text takes my computer billions of processing cycles for some reason.
3) Menu templates, that when reloaded insert horrible music for every menu screen. I have to go back and remove the music for each screen. Music settings are not saved with the templates.
4) A completely unituitive menu editing system that forces me to edit templates in order to change the menu system on my current project. I can't edit the menu for my DVD. I have to edit the template. I had to spend $30 for technical support to figure out that UI golden nugget.
5) $30 for technical support. What a scam. I'd even pay $5 for a call, but what point is $30 for 3 months of support? I'll need more help in month 4. So I'm basically paying $30 for one technical support phone call.

I'm finding new DVD authouring software.

BTW, don't believe anything on TopTenReviews. They are obviously bought and biased. How can Cyberlink Powerdirector be rated #1 for DVD authoring? Help us all if this is 'top' software.