Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Remove Background Music (Opposite of "Vocal Removal in Music" Effect)
JetBoater [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jun 04, 2018 21:18 Messages: 3 Offline
[Post New]
I have an audio track of a public speaker that includes some slight background music. I'd like to remove the background music so I have a clean track of just the speaker. If I apply the Vocal Removal in Music effect it works beautifully to remove the speaker's vocals and leaves only the background music. But that's exactly the opposite of what I want in this instance. (MP3, 16-bit, stereo, vocals panned to center)

Any ideas how I can remove the music and leave the speaker's vocals only?
tomasc [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 25, 2011 12:33 Messages: 6464 Offline
[Post New]
You could try the simple equalizer to the narrow voice frequencies of say 300 to 3 khz to enhance the voice.
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
Another option would be to create a noise preset from a section where only the music is playing, and see if AD can remove the "noise" while leaving the speaker's voice intact elsewhere in the track. You may have to make more than one preset and apply each one to separate sections if the music varies significantly, so some amount of trial and error is likely.

Save often and don't be afraid of using Undo whenever needed!

YouTube/optodata

DS365 | Win11 Pro | Ryzen 9 3950X | RTX 4070 Ti | 32GB RAM | 10TB SSDs | 5K+4K HDR monitors

Canon Vixia GX10 (4K 60p) | HF G30 (HD 60p) | Yi Action+ 4K | 360Fly 4K 360°
JetBoater [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote Another option would be to create a noise preset from a section where only the music is playing, and see if AD can remove the "noise" while leaving the speaker's voice intact elsewhere in the track. You may have to make more than one preset and apply each one to separate sections if the music varies significantly, so some amount of trial and error is likely.

Save often and don't be afraid of using Undo whenever needed!

As you hinted it might, this took a little trial and error, and a couple (actually 3 or 4) different passes because the background music changed halfway through the speech, but it got me what I wanted. It also introduced a bit of a hiss but the Hiss Removal adjustment cleared that right up.

It's not perfect, but wow, it's darn close.
JetBoater [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote You could try the simple equalizer to the narrow voice frequencies of say 300 to 3 khz to enhance the voice.

I managed to get rid of most of the music using another technique here in this thread but it didn't help much with a deep bass beat. Thanks for your tip which took care of that last bit.
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
Quote I managed to get rid of most of the music using another technique here in this thread but it didn't help much with a deep bass beat. Thanks for your tip which took care of that last bit.

Glad to hear that our forum "tag team" suggestions helped out

YouTube/optodata

DS365 | Win11 Pro | Ryzen 9 3950X | RTX 4070 Ti | 32GB RAM | 10TB SSDs | 5K+4K HDR monitors

Canon Vixia GX10 (4K 60p) | HF G30 (HD 60p) | Yi Action+ 4K | 360Fly 4K 360°