Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
PHD10 adds a black bar on each NEF (RAW) photo that I export. Is this a bug?
Trekz [Avatar]
Member Joined: Oct 16, 2016 00:32 Messages: 67 Offline
[Post New]
I noticed that PHD10 adds a small bar on the bottom of each NEF (RAW) that I export.

I took the same photo and exported a NEF (RAW) and JPEG version through PHD10 as JPEG, and only the NEF (RAW) image ended up with a black bar on the bottom of the picture.

Here's an example:

https://imgur.com/a/Br7FjNx

I think it's a bug, but please let me know if you know how to fix it.
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
Quote I noticed that PHD10 adds a small bar on the bottom of each NEF (RAW) that I export.

I took the same photo and exported a NEF (RAW) and JPEG version through PHD10 as JPEG, and only the NEF (RAW) image ended up with a black bar on the bottom of the picture.
Here's an example:

https://imgur.com/a/Br7FjNx

I think it's a bug, but please let me know if you know how to fix it.

It's really hard to see the bar because the image resolution is too low, but I did barely notice it and your red arrow. Can you upload a sample NEF clip to OneDrive or Google Drive so other people can check its behavior on their systems?

YouTube/optodata

DS365 | Win11 Pro | Ryzen 9 3950X | RTX 4070 Ti | 32GB RAM | 10TB SSDs | 5K+4K HDR monitors

Canon Vixia GX10 (4K 60p) | HF G30 (HD 60p) | Yi Action+ 4K | 360Fly 4K 360°
[Post New]
Hello Trekz and optodata,

Checking previous posts, you have a Nikon D7500 (unless you've moved up in the world).

I can confirm that .NEF files from the D7500 do display with a (very fine) black line at the base. From the other Nikon photos I've checked, this seems to be peculiar to that camera.

optodata, the source of the files I tested has plenty of examples should you wish to check & confirm.

The attached screenshot shows the issue. The more disturbing thing, from my point of view, is that the black line is present in any exported file (!) unless it's cropped during editing. It's not a problem in PhD9.

The issue will be reported to the team at CyberLink for investigation.

PIX
[Thumb - PhD10 Nikon D7500  NEF .jpg]
 Filename
PhD10 Nikon D7500 NEF .jpg
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
1216 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
8 time(s)

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at May 13. 2019 17:32

PIX YouTube channel
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
Thanks PIX.

I see the same thing in PhD 10, and I can confirm that the black line is 8 pixels high and seems to be a missing stripe of data, As you have both seen, the line persists after exporting the image.

I do not see the issue when importing into PhD 7. However, when I export the image, the resolution changes from 5568x3712 to 5600x3728, even though I have this option checked:

Here are the bottom left corners of the PNG exported from PhD 10, the original NEF image, and the JPG from PhD 7 as displayed by IrfanView 64:

I mention this because PhD 7 vs. 10 show two completely different interpretations of the same NEF data. In addition, the image is noticeably darker in PhD 7 than in the other 2 views (PhD 6 is identical to 7).

This definitely seems like something RD should look into...

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at May 13. 2019 18:33

YouTube/optodata

DS365 | Win11 Pro | Ryzen 9 3950X | RTX 4070 Ti | 32GB RAM | 10TB SSDs | 5K+4K HDR monitors

Canon Vixia GX10 (4K 60p) | HF G30 (HD 60p) | Yi Action+ 4K | 360Fly 4K 360°
Trekz [Avatar]
Member Joined: Oct 16, 2016 00:32 Messages: 67 Offline
[Post New]
Quote Hello Trekz and optodata,

Checking previous posts, you have a Nikon D7500 (unless you've moved up in the world).

I can confirm that .NEF files from the D7500 do display with a (very fine) black line at the base. From the other Nikon photos I've checked, this seems to be peculiar to that camera.

optodata, the source of the files I tested has plenty of examples should you wish to check & confirm.

The attached screenshot shows the issue. The more disturbing thing, from my point of view, is that the black line is present in any exported file (!) unless it's cropped during editing. It's not a problem in PhD9.

The issue will be reported to the team at CyberLink for investigation.

PIX

Hey PIX!

Thanks again for everything, and thank you too optodata for looking into this.

When I was beta testing phd10, I didn't notice this at all. I would have reported it, but I don't think I catched it until now.