Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Can't import h264 clips made from logitech webcam directly into PD17
src [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: May 07, 2019 10:08 Messages: 20 Offline
[Post New]

I can preview & edit both normally in my PowerDirector 17.

Which version of PD17 are you using? The 365 subscription version or the 2727 ultra (I think called perpetual)?
src [Avatar]
[Post New]
I installed the latest Nvidia creator drivers, with no change.

Then I set a restore point in Windows and installed the PD17 2823 beta patch and still didn't couldn't see the raw file.

Considering upgrading to the 365 subscription version.
src [Avatar]
[Post New]
I upgraded to the 365 version.

It works with the 6 second clip now.

But it still crashes when trying to import a 5GB clip.

I also tried a clip that is 3,508,063KB, 1 hour 14 minute clip. It also crashes with that.

sadface

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at May 10. 2019 10:53

optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
Quote I upgraded to the 365 version.

It works with the 6 second clip now.

But it still crashes when trying to import a 5GB clip.

I also tried a clip that is 3,508,063KB, 1 hour 14 minute clip. It also crashes with that.

sadface

Can you upload that clip to OneDrive as well?
src [Avatar]
[Post New]

Can you upload that clip to OneDrive as well?

Here are a couple of different sized clips, Made with the Logitech c922 webcam, using h264 encoding, as reported when playing the raw clip on VLC.

The first and larger clip is an hour and fifteen minutes, 10.65GB. It crashes PD17 immediately on trying to import it, no error message.

The second clip is 20 minutes, 3.4 GB. It imports into PD17, but when I dragged it onto the timeline, PD17 become very sluggish and then unresponsive, then crashed a minute later.

Most of the clips I work with are several hours long.

I've been importing them into ACDSee Video Editor then saving them with as close specs to the original file as I can, then I'm able to work with them fine in PD17.

https://1drv.ms/v/s!As4DMOFOK9Ajh4cmg-Zj7wHbLeMp0Q

https://1drv.ms/v/s!As4DMOFOK9Ajh4cor60qKbyasgiIiQ
src [Avatar]
[Post New]
I tried the free version of Bandicam with my webcam and imported the resulting file into PD17. It was very smooth.

The clip could only be ten minutes long because it's the trial version, so I'm thinking about buying the full version to see if it will let me record better files to use in PD17 (that won't crash it).

It still leaves me with a few hours of video to edit that I already made using the Logitech capture software.
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
Quote The first and larger clip is an hour and fifteen minutes, 10.65GB. It crashes PD17 immediately on trying to import it, no error message. The second clip is 20 minutes, 3.4 GB. It imports into PD17, but when I dragged it onto the timeline, PD17 become very sluggish and then unresponsive, then crashed a minute later.

Thanks for sharing the files.

Like you, my PD17/365 system crashes without any error message when importing the 1st clip, although it doesn't happen immediately. I see the Importing Media... window for 5-6 sec with no progress or percentage increase, then PD crashes.

With your 2nd clip, the importing window intially froze once it got to 100%:

but after a minute or so, it recovered with the clip in the media library.

Just like you saw, PD is essentially non-responsive once the 2nd clip is on the timeline, and it might take 20-30 sec to respond to a new scrubber position or to start "playing," which it can't actually do. Eventually it hung and I had to manually terminate it.

This is similar to another clip issue (from a dashcam back in Jan), and Cyberlink released an update to deal with the issue. It seems likely that this will also require a patch to resolve, so please open a support ticket and include the URL of this post in your message (Cyberlink tech support doesn't monitor this forum). Post back with the ticket number to close the loop.
src [Avatar]
[Post New]

Thanks for sharing the files.

Like you, my PD17/365 system crashes without any error message when importing the 1st clip, although it doesn't happen immediately. I see the Importing Media... window for 5-6 sec with no progress or percentage increase, then PD crashes.

With your 2nd clip, the importing window intially froze once it got to 100%:

but after a minute or so, it recovered with the clip in the media library.

Just like you saw, PD is essentially non-responsive once the 2nd clip is on the timeline, and it might take 20-30 sec to respond to a new scrubber position or to start "playing," which it can't actually do. Eventually it hung and I had to manually terminate it.

This is similar to another clip issue (from a dashcam back in Jan), and Cyberlink released an update to deal with the issue. It seems likely that this will also require a patch to resolve, so please open a support ticket and include the URL of this post in your message (Cyberlink tech support doesn't monitor this forum). Post back with the ticket number to close the loop.

Submitted a support ticket. Question ID = CS002020346
Thanks!!

Customer Support

Your inquiry has been received.
<p style="color: #333333; font-size: 13px; line-height: 20px; margin-left: 0px; margin-right: 0px; margin-top: 0px; padding: 0px;">Question ID = CS002020346

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at May 11. 2019 14:11

ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Similar experience with the 2 clips here...

"2019-05-10_17-51-27.mp4" (10.1GB) wouldn't import into either PDR17 subscription or perpetual versions. As src & optodata observed, PDR17 closes without warning or explanation. The clip opens & plays back fine in AfterEffects.

The shorter "2019-05-11 raw.mp4" clip imports as audio only in the perpetual version, but correctly in PDR17 365/subscription.

Cheers - Tony
Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!
src [Avatar]
[Post New]
Just another update.

I bought the full version of Bandicam, and using the same webcam I made a few longer videos.

The longest was a one-hour video that was over 20GB in file size.

It imported almost instantly into PD17, although the background cpu utilization is continuing, it fluidly moves along the timeline in PD17. No hiccups.

There seems to be something in the logitech capturing software encoding that isn't playing nicely with PD17.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at May 12. 2019 12:37

optodata
[Post New]
Quote It imported almost instantly into PD17, although the background cpu utilization is continuing, it fluidly moves along the timeline in PD17. No hiccups.

There seems to be something in the logitech capturing software encoding that isn't playing nicely with PD17.

That was the case with the BlackVue dashcam as well.

Sounds like you've now got a viable workflow, and assuming that PD gets patched to work properly with the Logitech encoding, you'll have more recording options again down the road.
src [Avatar]
[Post New]
This was my reply from Customer Support. Looks like they didn't read this thread.

Customer Support Response2019/05/13 14:52

Hi Stephen,
Thank you for contacting CyberLink Technical Support.
We understand that you have concerns importing H-264 file on your PowerDirector 365 software. We are more than willing to assist you.
With reference to your query, please try one or more of the following solutions below to further isolate your concern if applicable:
1. Kindly check if there is an available update for the software on the CyberLink Application Manager.
2. Check the minimum system requirements. Make sure your system meets the minimum requirements for the software. You may the minimum requirements here: https://www.cyberlink.com/products/powerdirector-video-editing-software-365/specs_en_US.html
3. Update graphics card driver to the latest. You can download the latest driver from the AMD or NVIDIA or Intel’s website listed below. If you have any problem installing graphics card drivers, please contact your computer manufacturer or the manufacturer of the display and sound cards for the latest drivers.
AMD: http://support.amd.com/en-us/download
NVIDIA: http://www.nvidia.com/Download/index.aspx
Intel: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/
4. Check whether the installed drive has enough space on it. This is because a large amount of memory space is required for buffering.
5. Make sure you are logged in as an Administrator. If you lack administrator access privileges, the CyberLink application might be unable to access the necessary files it needs.
If the concern still persists, we would like to ask for the following information please see below:
1. DxDiag.
1.1. Press the Windows key and type dxdiag in the search box.
1.2. Click on Dxdiag.exe.
1.3. You will see a green progress bar in the bottom-left of the DirectX Diagnostic Tool window while the program is gathering information.
1.4. When the progress bar disappears, it means your report is ready.
1.5. Click Save All Information.
1.6. Save the file to your desktop (make sure it is saving as a text file) and give it a name you will remember.
2. Full Screenshot of the Product Version
2. 1. Launch the software.
2. 2. Click Logo of the software or the word of the software to see the Product Version or SR number.
3. Screenshot of the error message if there is any.
4. Kindly provide us with the source video file that you are importing on your PowerDirector software through any Cloud Storage like Google Drive or Dropbox and then send the link to us for us to download the files for further checking.
You may refer to the articles below to get a sharable link for the cloud storages.
For instance, Google Drive:
https://support.google.com/drive/answer/2494822
1. Upload the file to Google Drive.
2. Refer to step 2 in the article "Share a link to the file".
3. Get the sharable link of the files, and give the links to us.
For Dropbox:
https://www.dropbox.com/help/files-folders/view-only-access
1. Upload the file to Dropbox.
2. Refer to the section in the article "How to share a link to a file or folder".
3. Get the sharable link of the files, and give the links to us.
For Microsoft OneDrive:
https://support.office.com/en-us/article/share-onedrive-files-and-folders-9fcc2f7d-de0c-4cec-93b0-a82024800c07
1. Upload the file to OneDrive.
2. Refer to the section in the article "Share -> Get a link".
3. Set the share link as "View only"
4. Get the sharable link of the files, and give the links to us.
To take a full screenshot:
1. Press PrtScrn on the upper right side of the keyboard.
2. Open Windows Paint (press Windows button, type the word Paint then click on the result to open the program).
3. Paste the screenshot (press Ctrl+V), then save the file (in .jpg format).
Please feel free to contact us back for further clarification or assistance related to CyberLink Products. Use the link below to get back to us:
https://membership.cyberlink.com/support/service/technical-support.do
Thanks and Regards,
Rhon
Cyberlink Technical Support
src [Avatar]
[Post New]
I replied like this:

All the details are in the thread I linked.
All drivers are updated. Error is replicated by other users. Products tried were PD17 and PD17-365.
DXDIAG and sample files already uploaded and provided.
Take a couple minutes and read the thread please.
Thank you.

Hope I don't sound snarky.
src [Avatar]
[Post New]
Isn't this one concerning from a security standpoint?

5. Make sure you are logged in as an Administrator. If you lack administrator access privileges, the CyberLink application might be unable to access the necessary files it needs.
optodata
[Post New]
Quote Isn't this one concerning from a security standpoint?

Microsoft has long recommended that your main user account NOT have administrative privileges, precisely because of the security threat posed by malware activating on an Admin-level account. A standard user account requires Admin confirmation whenever system-level changes are involved (like installing/configuring an app), so the malware risk is reduced.

That hasn't stopped people from using Admin-level accounts for their everyday accounts, but IF you have followed MS' advice and ARE running a standard user account, then Step 5 is a crucial troubleshooting step when things don't work correctly.

It seems to me that this could be reworded to say something like "right-click on PD's desktop icon and choose Run as administrator" rather than a more global statement of "Make sure you are logged in as an Administrator." However, in both cases you do have to trust PD (at least for this one time).