Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
The frustrating behavior of the Title Designer
Harmen [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Nov 01, 2018 15:29 Messages: 37 Offline
[Post New]
Quote I did have a chance today to view Harmen’s pack project. Made a screen recording to show the responsiveness of the project on my pc. It seems to be okay with an internet browser open and running. They are up now on my YT channel. PM sent.

Thanks Tomas. I do notice that in your case not all tracks are always showing in the preview when you click on the title elements. That is the same problem that I am having, apart from the laggy and crashy behavior.
Maliek [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: San Antonio, Texas USA Joined: Nov 10, 2012 12:01 Messages: 851 Offline
[Post New]
Quote This is an issue that only seems to come up on high end machines, as you can see from this post.

In my experience, it has something to do with a browser being open (Edge in my case), and most of the untenable delays go away if I don't use a browser when I'm editing. I actually can open up Edge with PD17 running and do things there and then close it again, but it has to be closed when I'm actively editing or my neighbors hear screaming.

LOL!!!!! So am I to assume that the work around for this issue is to close Edge?
Harmen [Avatar]
[Post New]

LOL!!!!! So am I to assume that the work around for this issue is to close Edge?

In my case that did not resolve the issue. Maliek, are you saying that you are experiencing similar problems?
tomasc [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 25, 2011 12:33 Messages: 6464 Offline
[Post New]
Harmen you have told me that the fonts should display straight lines and not squares in this project on the other forum. I don’t know and don’t have the required fonts for this project.
Harmen [Avatar]
[Post New]
Rev3 combines the above projects, so it's a produced clip along with condensed titles, and this gives me the best performance.

I also went for Rev3 - it worked best and makde the program the least sluggish. Apperently you cannot use too many title layers at once.

My problem has not really been solved though. Every project with title tracks is really frustrating to work with. Yesterday I was working on my main project (the sample is a small part of it) and the program resonded terribly to everything I did. When I changed a title, or wanted to, I often have to wait 5 or more minutes after clicking a clip, track or button. When I clicked the 'produce' tab and wanted to go back to the edit tab I had to wait 15-20 minutes before the program responded again! In total I think I waited more than 3 and a half hour while working on the project yesterday. This laggy behavior of the program really has to stop otherwise I'm afraid I have to go back to my former editing program. This really isn't fun anymore.
Harmen [Avatar]
[Post New]
What is even more frustrating is that editing this project goes brilliantly on my crappy Intel i5-7200@2.50GHz (4 CPUs) 8GB laptop with an underwhelming Intel HD Graphics 620 graphics card. Something is going wrong between PD17 and the hardware in my new computer.
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
Quote What is even more frustrating is that editing this project goes brilliantly on my crappy Intel i5-7200@2.50GHz (4 CPUs) 8GB laptop with an underwhelming Intel HD Graphics 620 graphics card. Something is going wrong between PD17 and the hardware in my new computer.

Yes. This is exactly the Death by Titles issue, and as far as I can tell, you and I are the only people who've posted about it affecting them. I have an Intel CPU and you have an AMD, but the common factor is the number of cores: they each have 8 with 16 threads.

I reported the issue to Cyberlink months ago, but they were unable to either procure a similar a machine or replicate the issues.

I had some temporary success by diabling hyperthreading, and it's worth a try on your system. I believe there is a BIOS/UEFI setting to enable/disable SMT (simultaneous multi-threading), and that may actually be the key.

On my system it turned out that whenever Edge is running, at least with even a single tab open, PD slows to an absolute crawl. This occurs even though Task manager shows hardly any system resources being used. Since your system doesn't seem to be affected by having a browser open, definitely try disabling SMT.
Harmen [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote Since your system doesn't seem to be affected by having a browser open, definitely try disabling SMT.

I tried that but it didn't change anything. Actually the whole program is laggy. I first thought it had to do with the Title Designer but when I click the cog wheel voor de settings I have to wait about 7-9 seconds before the settings screen pops up. On my cheap Asus laptop it is less than 1 second.
Harmen [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thanks to all your help I was finally able to finish this production. But considering the incompatibility of PD17 with my new hardware I think this is the last video I made with PD.

Harmen [Avatar]
[Post New]
I got a reply from customer support:

"In reference to your concern, we have reproduced the issue when trying to edit the specific project. An engineer is assigned to check the issue."

Maybe there is hope after all.
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
Quote I got a reply from customer support:

"In reference to your concern, we have reproduced the issue when trying to edit the specific project. An engineer is assigned to check the issue."

Maybe there is hope after all.

Yes, I think that's very good news! Thank you for reporting the issue
Harmen [Avatar]
[Post New]
Yesterday I wanted to transfer some material from a former project that I made in PD to my new editor of choice so I opened it in PD. It was a multi-track project with 6 or more layers - but not much titles. It opened flawlessly and responded quickly and painless to everything. No crashes or lag whatsoever. Which makes me convinced it is definitely a problem with the title editor. I hope they will be able to fix it because I would prefer to stick to PD if I have the chance.