Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
cracking sound when playing file with dts audio
vmd12 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Aug 08, 2017 09:20 Messages: 18 Offline
[Post New]
I'm using PowerDVD 19 to play the 4k HDR bluray of this movie Halloween: https://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Halloween-4K-Blu-ray/220754/. In the scene where there is a boy inside a car and an inmate suddenly knocks on the glass window, the noice cracks. This does not happen when I use vlc or other media players. The same issue occurs with Jurassic Park Fallen Kingdom (the cracking sound can be heard very clearly during the beginning of the movie with the machine underwater). I notice both movies only support DTS sound format, so this may be the cause. I'm using headphone connected to the pc and Dolby Atmos for Headphone software. Any idea?

edit: Power DVD18 has the same problem

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at May 04. 2019 05:36

QC2.0 [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Apr 27, 2016 04:02 Messages: 610 Offline
[Post New]
I think that you might add too many decorations on your audio output for the already-tuned/well-crafted DTS surround sound.

Those audio effects or features may enlarge the bass or the spatial sound for relatively flat audio, however it might not quite fit the studio-produced surround sound in DTS, Dolby, LPCM, etc formats when handling audio at certain frequencies.

Turn OFF the TrueTheater audio enhancing on the TrueTheater panel in powerdvd, or "ATMOS" add-on from your Dolby app.
Then, check the playback.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at May 06. 2019 02:20

vmd12 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Aug 08, 2017 09:20 Messages: 18 Offline
[Post New]
Quote I think that you might add too many decorations on your audio output for the already-tuned/well-crafted DTS surround sound.

Those audio effects or features may enlarge the bass or the spatial sound for relatively flat audio, however it might not quite fit the studio-produced surround sound in DTS, Dolby, LPCM, etc formats when handling audio at certain frequencies.

Turn OFF the TrueTheater audio enhancing on the TrueTheater panel in powerdvd, or "ATMOS" add-on from your Dolby app.
Then, check the playback.

Definitely not because of the dolby atmos software because when I disable it I still hear the cracking sound. When I use it with other movies that support dolby atmos, the audio is much better than plain stereo. It’s the closest to a dolby atmos system on headphone. And as mentioned, using the dolby atmos software with other media players like vlc produces no such cracking sound, so this is the fault of powerdvd.
markvergin [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Oct 13, 2016 08:40 Messages: 41 Offline
[Post New]
Am also facing same issue, powerdvd18 audio no cracking, but povwerdvd19 annoying cracking

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Jun 07. 2019 22:20

JDizzy [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Nov 04, 2017 22:58 Messages: 6 Offline
[Post New]
Quote Am also facing same issue, powerdvd18 audio no cracking, but povwerdvd19 annoying cracking

I have same experience with powerdvd 18. When loud sound effect I get crackle sound.
True, if I turn off True Theater Audio then no crackle but then why use powerdvd?