Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
PowerDirector will not record passthrough camera video in Capture mode
Delta [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Mar 05, 2013 17:56 Messages: 10 Offline
[Post New]
I'm using a Canon DV camera as a passthrough. I've set the camera's settings to AV >DV ON, and it's in tape mode. The video actually plays in the PowerDirector 14 program, so I know it's getting the data, but when I click on the "Record" button, a box pops up saying "The DV tape is either missing or write protected. Insert a tape . . . . The tape is a home video, and the quality looks good, so why is PowerDirector giving me this error message and not capturing the data it is receiving?

What other software can I use that will capture the data in a quality format that PowerDirector can use to edit?
Thanks for suggestions.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Apr 24. 2019 23:39

JL_JL [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Arizona, USA Joined: Oct 01, 2006 20:01 Messages: 6091 Offline
[Post New]
I think it was like PD10 when that approach stopped working and you get the tape error.

I'm old school, I still use Windows Movie Maker and it's very robust for this type of capture.

Jeff
Delta [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Mar 05, 2013 17:56 Messages: 10 Offline
[Post New]
Quote I think it was like PD10 when that approach stopped working and you get the tape error.

I'm old school, I still use Windows Movie Maker and it's very robust for this type of capture.

Jeff

Thanks for your suggestion. I went looking for it and found that it's no longer supported, but the website offered 5 alternative programs that they said were even better. I'll try some of them. Delta
Windows 10; 3.4 Ghz Intel Core i7-3770; Multi-core (4), Hyper-threaded (; 64 bit, 2 x 8,192 MB DIMM1 memory; OS on SSD;
leinrac1 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jul 27, 2022 12:19 Messages: 11 Offline
[Post New]

Thanks for your suggestion. I went looking for it and found that it's no longer supported, but the website offered 5 alternative programs that they said were even better. I'll try some of them.

Hi there , I hope you are still active on this forum. A couple of years later , I am also facing the same situation and Power Director does not allow me to record from a Dv Pass Through giving me exactly the same answer because as a matter of fact there is no tape in the Camcorder.

At that time you wanted to try other softwares which looked to be even better, did you succeed ? Can you tell me which softwares are the most useful for this purposes ? I have tried Adobe Premiere Elements but it does not see the footage. Power Director sees the footage but does not record.

I have also tried Vlc and got it to work with the convert/save function but there are so many functions to adjust and do not get good quality as the original footage from vcr. Obs is even more complicated. So I would appreciate if you can help me somehow with more tips.

PS Incidentally in the thread it appeared that until PD 10 that pass through function used to work. I would like to try PD 9 (if somehow I can still get it installed ) and see if I can get it to work. What do you think, if I may ask .

Thank you in advance for your help if any.
BarryTheCrab
Senior Contributor Location: USA Joined: Nov 06, 2008 22:18 Messages: 6240 Offline
[Post New]

Hi there , I hope you are still active on this forum. A couple of years later , I am also facing the same situation and Power Director does not allow me to record from a Dv Pass Through giving me exactly the same answer because as a matter of fact there is no tape in the Camcorder.

At that time you wanted to try other softwares which looked to be even better, did you succeed ? Can you tell me which softwares are the most useful for this purposes ? I have tried Adobe Premiere Elements but it does not see the footage. Power Director sees the footage but does not record.

I have also tried Vlc and got it to work with the convert/save function but there...
What is the capture from?
Using a DV camera as pass-thru resulting in a DV file in NTSC might be crippling to the final result.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Sep 14. 2022 21:33

HP Envy Phoenix/4thGen i7-4770(4@3.4GHz~turbo>3.9)
Nvidia GTX 960(4GB)/16GB DDR3/
Canon Vixia HV30/HF-M40/HF-M41/HF-G20/Olympus E-PL5.
Tape capture using 6 VCR, TBC-1000, Elite BVP4+, Sony D8 camcorder with TBC.
https://www.facebook.com/BarryAFTT
leinrac1 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jul 27, 2022 12:19 Messages: 11 Offline
[Post New]
What is the capture from?
Using a DV camera as pass-thru resulting in a DV file in NTSC might be crippling to the final result.

Actually , I need to convert some old vhs-c cassettes into digital . I have tried with a video grabber and it is fine but the output is not what I expected as in the details the image appears slightly blurred (at least to my eyes ) and therefore I wanted to try in another way. I have a Canon hdv camcorder which allows the pass-through function to digitize the footage through FireWire cable into my pc keeping the original tape quality. Therefore I have Vcr with original Vhs-c cassette (and its vhs adapter). An A-V cable connects vcr to Canon Camcorder and then a FireWire cable connects to Pc FireWire card.

Then comes Power Director 365 , the footage plays ok with Power Director but when I try to record it , a box pops up saying that in the Camcorder there is no tape (of course because the Camcorder is only a ‘bridge’ and no cassette is in there) , therefore I wish I could find other softwsres that allow me to record the passed through footage or way out maybe by installing an old PD version on my pc which used to work fine with the pass-through . I am in Europe so I have PAL and the through-passed -images that unfortunately I can not record ) plays well, so no crippled output.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Sep 15. 2022 13:43

BarryTheCrab
Senior Contributor Location: USA Joined: Nov 06, 2008 22:18 Messages: 6240 Offline
[Post New]
Try WinDV, or Scenalyzer, both free. HP Envy Phoenix/4thGen i7-4770(4@3.4GHz~turbo>3.9)
Nvidia GTX 960(4GB)/16GB DDR3/
Canon Vixia HV30/HF-M40/HF-M41/HF-G20/Olympus E-PL5.
Tape capture using 6 VCR, TBC-1000, Elite BVP4+, Sony D8 camcorder with TBC.
https://www.facebook.com/BarryAFTT