Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Power Director will not activate
Stephen1980 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Apr 20, 2019 16:31 Messages: 2 Offline
[Post New]
I have searched high and low on trying to activate this product,
I bought it. it is mine.. it made me do a free trial then when it expired it asks me to buy it.. AGAIN...
I'm not buying it again, I want to activate it but it isn't letting me.

Is there a place I can get a refund for something I cannot use?
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
Quote I have searched high and low on trying to activate this product,
I bought it. it is mine.. it made me do a free trial then when it expired it asks me to buy it.. AGAIN...
I'm not buying it again, I want to activate it but it isn't letting me.

Is there a place I can get a refund for something I cannot use?

Sorry that you're having trouble. This is a user forum, and we're not Cyberlink, but we can certainly try to help.

When you purchased the product, you should have received a confirmation email with your activation code and download links. You also MUST uninstall any trial versions of PD software first. Although some software can be upgraded from the trial to the full version, you can't do that with PD.

After the trial version is uninstalled, use the download links and PLEASE save the installer someplace where you can find it again if you ever need to reinstall PD. The download links are only active for a few weeks, and after that, you'll need to contact Cyberlink with proof of purchase to download the installer again if you can't find the one you originally downloaded.

Enter the activation code/seerial number when prompted, and that should do it.

Please post back if you have more questions, or contact Cyberlink directly. Their Purchase FAQs page has much more info.
Stephen1980 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Apr 20, 2019 16:31 Messages: 2 Offline
[Post New]

Sorry that you're having trouble. This is a user forum, and we're not Cyberlink, but we can certainly try to help.

When you purchased the product, you should have received a confirmation email with your activation code and download links. You also MUST uninstall any trial versions of PD software first. Although some software can be upgraded from the trial to the full version, you can't do that with PD.

After the trial version is uninstalled, use the download links and PLEASE save the installer someplace where you can find it again if you ever need to reinstall PD. The download links are only active for a few weeks, and after that, you'll need to contact Cyberlink with proof of purchase to download the installer again if you can't find the one you originally downloaded.

Please post back if you have more questions, or contact Cyberlink directly. Their Purchase FAQs page has much more info.

That worked, thank you!

Dang I was pulling my hair out trying to get the real version working.
I have now saved a tuft of hair thanks to your instructions
BarryTheCrab
Senior Contributor Location: USA Joined: Nov 06, 2008 22:18 Messages: 6240 Offline
[Post New]
This should be a sticky

Matthew Muratore [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: May 15, 2019 01:26 Messages: 3 Offline
[Post New]

I am having the same problem and did all the things mentioned above and nothing is working. Any other suggestions? Still waiting to hear back from Cyberlink tech support.
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
I am having the same problem and did all the things mentioned above and nothing is working. Any other suggestions? Still waiting to hear back from Cyberlink tech support.

What error message(s) do you see? Have you used copy and paste, and ensured that you don't have any leading or trailing spaces when entering the license info?

You can also call Cyberlink for installation support if you haven't gotten a response to your email/online request. Their phone numbers are listed on Still Need Help? page in the above linked FAQs.
[Post New]

What error message(s) do you see? Have you used copy and paste, and ensured that you don't have any leading or trailing spaces when entering the license info?

You can also call Cyberlink for installation support if you haven't gotten a response to your email/online request. Their phone numbers are listed on Still Need Help? page in the above linked FAQs.

The error message states that activation failed because the activation server could not be reached. I purchased this copy at Best Buy so I could have a hard copy of the DVD. Triple checked the installation code and it looks right. I am getting ready to install a new hard drive so maybe the reformat will help? There was another post about pirated software causing an issue, but didn't understand the directions on how to fix that possible problem.
[Post New]

The error message states that activation failed because the activation server could not be reached. I purchased this copy at Best Buy so I could have a hard copy of the DVD. Triple checked the installation code and it looks right. I am getting ready to install a new hard drive so maybe the reformat will help? There was another post about pirated software causing an issue, but didn't understand the directions on how to fix that possible problem.

Problem solved. Got an e-mail back from tech support that had various options to try. First one on the list worked like a charm. Just required opening the "hosts" file in Notepad and deleting all references to Cyberlink.
optodata
[Post New]
Quote Problem solved. Got an e-mail back from tech support that had various options to try. First one on the list worked like a charm. Just required opening the "hosts" file in Notepad and deleting all references to Cyberlink.

I'm glad you were able to fix the issue, and thank you for posting the solution here for anyone else with a similar problem!