Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Interlaced lines in PDR17 output mp4 progressive video
Steve445 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jan 31, 2018 16:24 Messages: 8 Offline
[Post New]
Hello,

There are interlaced (combing) lines in the output mp4 1280x720/25p PAL progressive video produced with PowerDirector 17 Trial.

There doesn't seem to be any way to produce an .mp4 progressive video with PowerDirector 17 without interlaced lines appearing during playback of the output .mp4 video ? Is there any way to deinterlace in PowerDirector 17 ?

The short source .ts test video - recorded from TV using the freeware SichboPVR - used in PowerDirector 17 Trial can be downloaded from this Dropbox link:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/arp7x1ngnihq6xm/The%20Graham%20Norton%20Show%20BBC%20ONE%20HD%20101.ts?dl=0

Thank you for any help to produce mp4 progressive PAL video with PowerDirector 17 without interlaced (combing) lines.
Warry [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: The Netherlands Joined: Oct 13, 2014 11:42 Messages: 853 Offline
[Post New]
Is this what you are after?

I used PD17 and the "out of the box" H.264 MPEG4 1920x1080 16mbps profile for PAL

https://www.dropbox.com/s/wq6ma9yk7kg9wgc/The%20Graham%20Norton%20Show%20BBC%20ONE%20HD%20101.mp4?dl=0

Note that sometimes the PD previewer shows interlacing whereas the produced output does not. And note that the Trail version of PD does not have all the features of the full package.
Steve445 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Many thanks, Warry. That's exactly what I want to achieve. There are no interlaced lines or combing in your output mp4 file.

From the following Dropbox link, you may download a screen recording of producing the MP4 1280x720/25p video in PowerDirector 17 Essential Trial which has interlaced lines in the output .mp4 video when played back in PowerDVD 19 Trial or in Windows Film&TV app or in any other media player.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/09z79i8txmcen2o/Screen%20Recording%20of%20PowerDirector%2017%20Essential%20Trial.mp4?dl=0

If it deliberately has the combing due to being a trial version and I did not know, then I would not buy the full package seeing the result in my output mp4 file from the trial version. In fact, it's the reason I didn't buy PDR16 because of the combing in the output video in the trial version.

However it seems the PDR 17 Ultra paid version produces output mp4 progressive videos without 'combing' like your sample I downloaded from Dropbox.

Thanks.
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
Quote If it deliberately has the combing due to being a trial version and I did not know, then I would not buy the full package seeing the result in my output mp4 file from the trial version. In fact, it's the reason I didn't buy PDR16 because of the combing in the output video in the trial version.

However it seems the PDR 17 Ultra paid version produces output mp4 progressive videos without 'combing' like your sample I downloaded from Dropbox.

Thanks.

There isn't any intentional degredation when producing with the trial version. You're simply limited to HD and lower resolutions. Can you share the produced video from your screen recording? It will be interesting to see if in fact it was produced to the 25p settings that you chose.

Another thing to try is to verify whether PD treats your source clips as progressive or interlaced. It relies in part on the media libraries already present on your PC, and sometimes it will "see" a 25p clip as 50i. On your timeline, right-click on the source clip and verify (or change) the TV Format attribute is set to progressive:

Warry [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: The Netherlands Joined: Oct 13, 2014 11:42 Messages: 853 Offline
[Post New]
Hmmm. I dont see any disturbances in your mp4 example. And as Optodata writes, there is no deliberate distortion in the trial version. It would not be good for sales: It may indeed be your video-player that may cause this. Indeed trying 25p and 50i settings may also help, but given your mp4 sample.... do some testing with players and player settings.....!

Please let us know how that goes.
Steve445 [Avatar]
[Post New]
optodata, many thanks for your reply. Your suggestion to set the interlaced source .ts file to progressive in 'Interlaced/Progressive Settings' fixed the issue ! The output mp4 25p files no longer have any interlaced lines or combing.

Another issue is playing back the output mp4 videos, whether the source .ts file is set to interlaced or progressive in 'Interlaced/Progressive Settings', the motion is slower during playback in PowerDVD like when you get when the fps is at a lower rate but Mediainfo reports fps as 25p in the output mp4 file.

This is the Dropbox link to download the output mp4 file with the interlaced lines and slower motion during playback in PowerDVD or other media player.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/2hvrle245nvvhbf/Produce.mp4?dl=0

PDR17 Trial output .mp4 file

Video
ID : 1
Format : AVC
Format/Info : Advanced Video Codec
Format profile : High@L3.1
Format settings : 2 Ref Frames
Format settings, CABAC : No
Format settings, RefFrames : 2 frames
Format settings, GOP : M=3, N=7
Codec ID : avc1
Codec ID/Info : Advanced Video Coding
Duration : 1 min 43 s
Source duration : 1 min 43 s
Bit rate : 5 379 kb/s
Width : 1 280 pixels
Height : 720 pixels
Display aspect ratio : 16:9
Frame rate mode : Constant
Frame rate : 25.000 FPS
Color space : YUV
Chroma subsampling : 4:2:0
Bit depth : 8 bits
Scan type : Progressive
Bits/(Pixel*Frame) : 0.233
Stream size : 66.2 MiB (93%)
Source stream size : 69.1 MiB (97%)
Language : English

Source .ts file:

Video
ID : 6601 (0x19C9)
Menu ID : 17540 (0x4484)
Format : AVC
Format/Info : Advanced Video Codec
Format profile : High@L4
Format settings : CABAC / 4 Ref Frames
Format settings, CABAC : Yes
Format settings, RefFrames : 4 frames
Codec ID : 27
Duration : 1 min 41 s
Width : 1 920 pixels
Height : 1 080 pixels
Display aspect ratio : 16:9
Frame rate : 25.000 FPS
Standard : Component
Color space : YUV
Chroma subsampling : 4:2:0
Bit depth : 8 bits
Scan type : MBAFF
Scan type, store method : Separated fields
Scan order : Top Field First
Color range : Limited
Color primaries : BT.709
Transfer characteristics : BT.709
Matrix coefficients : BT.709
Steve445 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Here is another example of slower motion during playback of the output mp4 videos.

Source .ts file

https://www.dropbox.com/s/bdm051jvrhp98nu/The%20Graham%20Norton%20Show%20BBC%20ONE%20HD.ts?dl=0

Output mp4 file

https://www.dropbox.com/s/qg510krn3vqw2jt/Produce_0.mp4?dl=0
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
Quote Here is another example of slower motion during playback of the output mp4 videos.

First, I'm glad that setting the attribute to progressive worked for you! Be sure to mark that post as the solution so other people will know this was resolved using the link directly underneath it:

For the slow-down issue, although the frame rates are identical between the .ts and your produced MP4 clips, for some reason the PD-produced clip duplicates every 5th frame. You can see this by stepping through it one frame at a time.

What is PD's project frame rate set to? You can check/verify it from the Preferences menu (gear icon), and in your case you'd want to choose 25 FPS (PAL):

Also, try producing to HD (1920x1080 25p) since that's the same resolution as your source clip. You can also try clicking on the Profile Analyzer button in the Produce room to see if PD can come up with an ideal match for your specific clip.

YouTube/optodata

DS365 | Win11 Pro | Ryzen 9 3950X | RTX 4070 Ti | 32GB RAM | 10TB SSDs | 5K+4K HDR monitors

Canon Vixia GX10 (4K 60p) | HF G30 (HD 60p) | Yi Action+ 4K | 360Fly 4K 360°
Steve445 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thank you, optodata.

The Profile Analyzer and the 1920x1080 25p setting are not available in the PDR 17 Trial version according to the message which pops up.

In Preferences > General > Timeline Frame rate is set to 25 FPS (PAL).

I solved the slower motion in the output mp4 videos by creating a Custom Profile by pressing the + button and simply changing the Frame Rate from 25 to 50 (or 60) in the Video Tab AND by selecting Fast Video Rendering Technology > Hardware Video Encoder. With Frame Rate set to 50 but with Hardware Video Encoder unchecked it still has slower motion in the output mp4 video.

The interlaced lines returned in the output mp4 videos even though in TV Format (Interlace/Progressive settings) it was set to Progressive. I solved it eventually by setting it to Interlaced in TV Format and pressing OK, then setting it back to Progressive in TV Format and pressing OK, then there were no more interlaced lines (combing) in the output mp4 video (If clicking on the 'Scan and Suggest Format' button, it automatically selects Interlaced).

Here's the Dropbox link of a very good result in the output mp4 video:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/tsxx35ps5yljw6w/Produce_3.mp4?dl=0

Thanks.
optodata
[Post New]
Quote Thank you, optodata.

The Profile Analyzer and the 1920x1080 25p setting are not available in the PDR 17 Trial version according to the message which pops up. Thanks.

The video looks very nice!

One thing to consider doing is to simply go ahead and purchase PD17 to remove all of the trial limitations (which are significant). Cyberlink has a 30 day money-back guarantee, so you will be able to get a full refund if you ultimately decide that it isn't the right choice for you after trying it for a month.

Be sure to uninstall the trial version first as it is not compatible with the paid version.
Steve445 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Many thanks, optodata. It sounds good to buy PD17 Ultra since there's a 30 day money back guarantee.

If you have PowerDVD 17, 18 or 19, I wonder if you could please have a look at my other thread (link below) to see if you can reproduce the issue ? It seems to be a drop in FPS during playback of .ts videos when clicking anywhere on the timebar and with video enhancements turned off. It's a similar issue to the one where PD17 produces mp4 videos (from the source .ts files) which have a drop in FPS during playback if Hardware Video Encoder in PD17 is unchecked/disabled.

https://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/0/79058.page#324777

Thank you.
optodata
[Post New]
Quote Many thanks, optodata. It sounds good to buy PD17 Ultra since there's a 30 day money back guarantee.

If you have PowerDVD 17, 18 or 19,...

Happy to have been of assistance! I do not have any other Cyberlink software beyond DirectorSuite, however I expect that you will get help on that forum from other members shortly.